Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why not Glyph of Disease?

Ok so, from what I know of GoD is that due to the recent patch, it no longer rolls diseases thus making it a dps loss when used if you have no procs up as it takes a snapshot of your current AP. Now what I don't understand is that why reapplying IT and PS is better if your procs are in the same situation. Wouldn't it be the same result? And, when reapplying your disease doesn't that use up runes that could be used for an SS, OB, or 2xHS/DS to get DR's? Please provide feedback because this is a confusing thing to me ><.

Re: Why not Glyph of Disease?

i for one love glyph of disease for Unholy dps, it saves two runes that'll go to a scourge strike and frees up the other blood rune for a blood strike, and after i use it, the blood rune becomes a death rune. i have no idea why you wouldnt want it in any spec.

That's what i originally thought, but according to EJ and Ensidia I'm wrong... and i would like to know exactly why.

Quote Originally Posted by Skellyton
    That's what i originally thought, but according to EJ and Ensidia I'm wrong... and i would like to know exactly why.
    If you look hard enough where they said you were wrong, they say WHY you were wrong.

You're clipping your diseases, you're losing out on 15% DC damage, you're losing out on the damage of PS and IT.... I can go on.

They say that GoD rolls diseases with a quick snapshot at your AP at the current time. What they don't tell me is why is that not better than using 2 runes for IT and PS when I thought those both also took a look at your current AP when being applied. If i missed that please point me to it i.e. page, paragraph, line and sentence.

I'm pretty sure that HS or SS beats both IT and PS combined, and DC is not normally in my Top 5 damage sources as unholy, so i would rather do a more damaging ability more often. I also don't refresh my diseases until the very last second either.

Glyph of disease is good because it rolls the 15% damage increase from tricks of the trade.

In any encounter where you can keep tott boosted diseases up for a singificant amount of time it's worth using glyph of disease as any spec.

Wouldn't the damage increase also apply if i just reapplied IT and PS? If all the same bonuses can be applied through reapplying IT and PS or just using Pestilence with GoD, why are they saying its a dps loss when an SS easily makes up for the damage caused by casting IT and PS?

Wouldn't the damage increase also apply if i just reapplied IT and PS?
    Only if you had tricks at the time. With glyph of disease you only need to get tott for your initial disease application and the damage increase lasts for the entire fight.

The same applies to warlocks corruption and shadowpriests shadow word pain, they just don't have to glyph to make use of it.

If all the same bonuses can be applied through reapplying IT and PS or just using Pestilence with GoD, why are they saying its a dps loss when an SS easily makes up for the damage caused by casting IT and PS?
    You also lose a glyph slot, one blood strike every 20 seconds and a little fallen crusader uptime. I don't know whether or not glyph of disease is a dps increase without tott, but with it it certainly is.

you lose 15% DC damage first of all.

let's look at that: you spend 1 Bloodrune for reapplying your diseases. Sounds good. a critical SS deals about 15-17k. you lose the 3-6k damage from BS. Critical PS+IT deal about 10k Damage. 16k damage ( crit ) and 15% DC Damage, vs 15-17k Damage/rotation
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiira
    The sim is correct, it isn't generally well known but war token really is a six thousand dps increase over deaths choice.

Only if you had tricks at the time. With glyph of disease you only need to get tott for your initial disease application and the damage increase lasts for the entire fight.

The same applies to warlocks corruption and shadowpriests shadow word pain, they just don't have to glyph to make use of it.
    So why do all those sites trying to tell me what spec and glyphs i should use tell me that GoDD > GoD? I'm not trying to argue with you, but I'm just wondering why they all say GoD is a dps loss compared to GoDD when you get the same result with GoD and reapplying IT and PS, but you get an extra main attack with GoD.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericdaroude

let's look at that: you spend 1 Bloodrune for reapplying your diseases. Sounds good. a critical SS deals about 15-17k. you lose the 3-6k damage from BS. Critical PS+IT deal about 10k Damage. 16k damage ( crit ) and 15% DC Damage, vs 15-17k Damage/rotation
    Wouldn't i actually have 2 SS's? Because i saved the runes from using IT and PS?
    yeah never mind on that, i didn't really realize what i was saying until i posted it ><

So why do all those sites trying to tell me what spec and glyphs i should use tell me that GoDD > GoD?
    Probably because they didn't assume that you would be using glyph of disease to roll the tott damage increase on your diseases.

Probably because they didn't assume that you would be using glyph of disease to roll the tott damage increase on your diseases.
    Well they do say that GoD takes a snapshot at your current AP, as do IT and PS when applied.

The simple answer is that (for Unholy) plague strike, blood strike, and icy touch hit REALLY HARD. My plague strikes are almost up to 9k crits with procs/raid buffs. Its just not worth the trouble, lost disease ticks, and lost death coil damage to exchange.

On the other hand of course, there is a blood build that uses GoD over GoDD because they're disease applications are far weaker and clipping isn't as big an issue.

Either way, the rotation is a lot smoother for both if you use GoDD. In the end, its not worth the trouble.

Edit: I was unaware that Tott still worked with GoD, I'm almost positive that would be a dps gain if somehow you convince your rogues to give you tott and you never screw up.
    Quote Originally Posted by lol View Post
    I've had lucid dreams a couple times.

I usually imagine some girl I have a crush on and DEMOLISH her, then go back to the computer and start farming whiptail.

Deleted

I'm pretty sure that HS or SS beats both IT and PS combined, and DC is not normally in my Top 5 damage sources as unholy, so i would rather do a more damaging ability more often. I also don't refresh my diseases until the very last second either.
    You have UFB runes.

Either:
    UFB
    Icy Touch
    UFB
    Plague Strike
    UFB
    Blood Strike
    UFB

OR

UFB
    Pestilence
    UFB
    Scourge Strike
    UFB

IT+PS+BS > 1 SS
    You also free up 1 major glyph slot (most likely GoDD)

Quote Originally Posted by Ericdaroude

15-17k crit from a single SS? I think i'm playing a different game, or a different patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Treeston
    You have UFB runes.

Either:
    UFB
    Icy Touch
    UFB
    Plague Strike
    UFB
    Blood Strike
    UFB

OR

UFB
    Pestilence
    UFB
    Scourge Strike
    UFB

IT+PS+BS > 1 SS
    You also free up 1 major glyph slot (most likely GoDD)
    that's it.
    The sim is correct, it isn't generally well known but war token really is a six thousand dps increase over deaths choice.

Add your numbers Brince. One SS is shadow damage in addition to the physical. Raid buffed 264 geared Unholy easily cracks the 18k mark. Proper gear sets can exceed 20k.
    Quote Originally Posted by lol View Post
    I've had lucid dreams a couple times.

I usually imagine some girl I have a crush on and DEMOLISH her, then go back to the computer and start farming whiptail.