Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Enhance shaman seeking dps advice

I've recently started playing on my shaman in a new guild, but dps seems very low. I've no idea what i'm doing wrong. I know the priority system, gemming, and spec of enhance shaman, I've read the FAQ on this forum. This is so frustrating.

Armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...rock&cn=Corixa

Saurfang kill: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-a9...ne/?s=63&e=240
    Festergut: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-a9...=13204&e=13439

Is my dps too low for my gear? What can I do to improve my dps? Thanks

Re: Enhance shaman seeking dps advise

Links to logs / armoury do not work

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

opps sry updated

your dps is fine... welcome to being a utility class.

Do you track ap prior to summoning wolves? The difference in burst dmg of an 8-9k ap wolves summon and an 11-12k ap is HUGE. Also, if hero is already blown, do you request other shaman to hero your second wolves summon on second summons?

These two things alone can make a surprising overall dmg boost.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danund81
    Just SAY IT.* "I'm right you're wrong and I know it because I have the power of a website's link."

Also, do you double pot trick? I use the precombat speed pot to help ramp up and try to hit as many ap procs as possible for wolves/ele at the beginning of a fight, especially if I'm designated to cast hero on fights where my guild likes to hero at the pull. I use this to try to hit that 10-12k ap mark i mentioned before, wolves/ele, and hero.

Another thing i do, is always use my pot of speed in conjunction with shamanistic rage, to try and maximize the benefit of both abilities together.
    Just SAY IT.* "I'm right you're wrong and I know it because I have the power of a website's link."

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

oh i usually summon my wolves precombat so they get hero (on those 2 fights anyway) then save my own hero for 2nd summon

hmm i should try speed pot with shamanistic rage next time, i usually pop it during hero.. its probably a waste..?

Is there a mod to show your AP or do you just look at your character sheet?

Your wolves will outlast any proc you have. Most procs will proc very shortly into the fight. We know that the wolves' AP changes as yours does, so it doesn't really matter. The only real exception is 4pc t10, but that is so random that it's not good practice to hold off on your wolves unless you can only use them once. Certain fights will have multiple opportunities to use wolves, and that's your call.

Quote Originally Posted by LyskaWF
    Your wolves will outlast any proc you have. Most procs will proc very shortly into the fight. We know that the wolves' AP changes as yours does, so it doesn't really matter. The only real exception is 4pc t10, but that is so random that it's not good practice to hold off on your wolves unless you can only use them once. Certain fights will have multiple opportunities to use wolves, and that's your call.
    I assumed that their ap was based off your initial AP when summoning them, like many other similar abilities based off of ap/sp.

I mentioned this because my dps on fights when I summon them at significantly higher ap from proc alignment, I show significantly higher burst dps from wolves. I'll keep a watch on this to verify it, in that case.

/edit want to be sure I'm understanding that right, you were saying that procs that roll off post summon will cause wolves ap to go down? If not, i don't understand why you wouldn't want to watch ap, as proc alignment in the first 5-10 secs of combat can be up to 2-4k ap if things are good or bad.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by LyskaWF
    We know that the wolves' AP changes as yours does, so it doesn't really matter.
    I think its in the sticky on this forum, assuming its correct,
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/class-sh...in-wrath-faq*/
    Sorry wasn't thinking when i replied to that.

your dps looks fine for your gear...as for wolves its somewhat irelevant. They are dynamic and their ap changes with yours. The only real buff you may want to consider is making sure they get bloodlust/hero other than that just try and jam as many wolves into a given fight as you can. Your fire ele however is not dynamic so that one you will want to pop A: when a boss will be stationary for a while so you can still use nova and B: when you have trinkets proced. Personnaly i like to pop wolves on the pull and use the sprint to close range with the boss, i also pop flame shock when closing range to get my totem rolling. Most fights you can at least get 2 pairs of wolves off...limiting yourself to 1 is bad just to get em BL so use em early imo.

Quote Originally Posted by bitrix
    your dps looks fine for your gear...as for wolves its somewhat irelevant. They are dynamic and their ap changes with yours. The only real buff you may want to consider is making sure they get bloodlust/hero other than that just try and jam as many wolves into a given fight as you can. Your fire ele however is not dynamic so that one you will want to pop A: when a boss will be stationary for a while so you can still use nova and B: when you have trinkets proced. Personnaly i like to pop wolves on the pull and use the sprint to close range with the boss, i also pop flame shock when closing range to get my totem rolling. Most fights you can at least get 2 pairs of wolves off...limiting yourself to 1 is bad just to get em BL so use em early imo.

ugh, since it isn't initial ap, this means i have digging to do on these encounters. Something else was going on between attempts, then, and it was a significant dps change, so now I've got to find out what so that I can continue to put out those better numbers.

its likely rng my friend. thats just how this game is. You can get lucky and get a ton of awesome WF crits or you could get none. I find for me face time with the boss is the biggest factor. If im not in mele range for a while my dps will be significantly lower than a fight like saurfang where you can just faceroll your rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by bitrix
    its likely rng my friend. thats just how this game is. You can get lucky and get a ton of awesome WF crits or you could get none. I find for me face time with the boss is the biggest factor. If im not in mele range for a while my dps will be significantly lower than a fight like saurfang where you can just faceroll your rotation.

The fight in question is actually Saurfang. On our HC attempts the fights where i was stacking ap to summon wolves(didn't realize it was dynamic) I'd be up to around 10.5-11.2k by the time we wiped(usually around 8-20%), yet others where i'd summoned at 8k ap it was lower, around late 8ks to 9.4k. I realize the other factors like ele and when all this was summoned all come into play, it's just surprising that the numbers can vary so much on little factors like that >.<

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Vargarii

The fight in question is actually Saurfang. On our HC attempts the fights where i was stacking ap to summon wolves(didn't realize it was dynamic) I'd be up to around 10.5-11.2k by the time we wiped(usually around 8-20%), yet others where i'd summoned at 8k ap it was lower, around late 8ks to 9.4k. I realize the other factors like ele and when all this was summoned all come into play, it's just surprising that the numbers can vary so much on little factors like that >.<
    Saurfang is a wonderful fight for Enh Shaman as you can just use every ability for max dps. Remember that magma totems do zero threat and so should be used. Fire Elementals are fine too, not so sure about heroic though as haven't tried that. Fire Nova - you need to be careful you don't time it just when adds will spawn otherwise you are fine. Those abilities aside you are just 100% flat out dps on the boss.

Use wolves immediately at the start of the fight and then 3 mins into the fight, an extra BL is a boost for them but its more of a boost getting possibly three full uses out of them than waiting for a BL and only getting them out twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Levva
    Saurfang is a wonderful fight for Enh Shaman as you can just use every ability for max dps. Remember that magma totems do zero threat and so should be used. Fire Elementals are fine too, not so sure about heroic though as haven't tried that. Fire Nova - you need to be careful you don't time it just when adds will spawn otherwise you are fine. Those abilities aside you are just 100% flat out dps on the boss.

Use wolves immediately at the start of the fight and then 3 mins into the fight, an extra BL is a boost for them but its more of a boost getting possibly three full uses out of them than waiting for a BL and only getting them out twice.

I understand all that, especially now knowing that I was using wolves wrong, but still, doing the fight the same way 20 times, and having a range ove just under 9k to 11k while wiping at the same point, can that really just be RNG? What I'm intending to go look at was the differences between the low and high dps attempts. I don't think it's my fire nova usage, as the highest dmg done on any attempt netted me around 150k dmg, and the lowest still pulled 100k or more.

I want to know how much i should factor as RNG, and maybe any idea what to look for when I go log hunting, so I can maintain the higher numbers more frequently.

/edit2 I can answer my own question now, The fights where I had higher numbers had a much larger gap in time for when we wiped than I knew, and we in fact were wiping within range of where my peak dps wouldn't have dropped much, as the longer fights were more 9.5-9.9k.

/edit ps, I'll probably stop with too many replies about my situation, because it's starting to hijack his thread.

So speed pot trick, and using it in conjunction with sham rage is all I've got.
    Other than that, I wouldn't consider your dps bad. You're primarily geared 251, and I've got nearly all 264s and am working my best to try that i can continue to push 10-11k as best I can.(E.G. I still have work to do, my dps goes up every week, new gear or not)

Properly executed you can go nuts with CL on adds as they spawn. Fire nova is diminished by thick skin so thats not worth wasting the gcd.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Flemshady
    Properly executed you can go nuts with CL on adds as they spawn. Fire nova is diminished by thick skin so thats not worth wasting the gcd.
    Fire Nova does however do full damage to Saurfang and is a dps boost over just doing white damage if all else is on CD.

Yup, Fire nova is good as part of your rotation on saurfang but us pointless for the adds. I have used chain lightning for a little extra damage on the adds and it does work. You just have to make sure you give your dps a couple seconds to establish aggro.

I think your problem is same then usual. Do not stack only 1 stat. I don't think with with only haste gemming u can maximise your dps on the fights like sarufang or festerbaby. Get balanced stats. Stay on the edge of the crit cap, and get around 500-600 haste then AP. Or 5k ap then stack haste. It is too balanced class, not like holy pallys.