Thread: Lich King Help

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Lich King Help

Like many of you I'm sure, we're working on LK in 25 man. Defile seems to be our biggest obstacle at the moment as we've only made it to the 2nd transition a handful of times.

We've got it to a point everyone is pretty comfortable with it, but I'm wondering how the different mods (i.e. DXE, DBM, etc) react to him casting Defile.

I currently use DXE, and it gives mea notification for when its coming off CD, when he is casting it, and if it is on me. Problem is, I am busy DPS'ing, so although I have Target of Target shown, often times I am dps'ing the valk's and cannot see who LK is casting it on.

You basically have 3 seconds to get away and thats if you react very quickly. I'm wondering if there is a mod out there, that alerts you not just when he is casting it, but if he is casting it on you. DXE will tell you he's casting it, and again if you have it, but by then it is too late to run or teleport. If something alerted me as soon as he starts casting on me, that fight would be so much easier in that phase.

If there is no mod, maybe share what you do to avoid Defile.

Thanks

Re: Lich King Help

First off, never ever ever use your port to avoid defile. You shouldn't need to and if a balk grabs you you port back up. My guilds locks all basicaly stand alone by there port the entire time so if they get grabed they get dropped sooner and port back to saftey sooner.

I also use dxe, but I also focus lk and have focus target turned on. When he changes target it is to cast defile. The target should also be getting a skull over their head.
    Pondering returning.
    Nikoll - Retribution Paladin

15+ Year Old Account

Not much to say really, there are no addon for it (edit: DXE as above poster then I guess). Defile is however prio, valkyrs generally aint a problem but defile can wipe a raid. Poor performance or simply bad luck its better to lose one person than wipe the raid with defile.

I use PowerAuras and a spell alert trigger on target/focus target. Whenever he start to cast it I will get an icon and i immediatly zoom in on his targetbar.
    It's important to know where people will generally stand in your raid so when you see that person number you know if he or she will be close to you or not.

Defile got prio over everything else - only tip I can tell you

Good Luck
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Focus him and watch his target.
    Nom Nom Nom [NNF] (2 points) - When you Ferocious Bite a target at or below 25% health, you have a 50/100% chance to instantly refresh the duration of your Rip on the target.

A lot of us used DBM for a while for various reasons.

We forced all players to use BigWigs on Lich King because it displays a "/s Defile on me !", you know, the bubble above your head ^^, alerting your mates as well as yourself .
    Even though I believe DBM can do it, it is configured by default in BW so we took the easiest way.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis
    I use PowerAuras and a spell alert trigger on target/focus target
    This is exactly what I need. I've really only used PowerAura's for buffs and debuffs and when I found out Defile was a targetted spell I didn't think PowerAura's would work. :/

Don't suppose you could PM me or copy your config for that one? :P

DXE has an option to have a chat bubble pop over your head saying "Defile on me!". It's very hard to miss that even if you're tunnel vision dps-ing a bit.

In all honesty, there is ample time to move out of Defile. Best way to handle it is to watch the CD and EXPECT him to cast it on you. That way, if he does, you're already moving, and if he doesn't , you're safe as well. Plus, Defile takes 2-3 seconds to actually tick on someone and it doesn't grow unless it actually does damage, hence an aware Disc Priest can sheild the target and buy them a few more seconds to get out. Unless you have terrible lag, there is no excuse for letting Defile grow over 1 tick.

But as a warlock you should be humping the edge with your portal down there, anyways. If a valkyr grabs you, you'll be able to port back when you're dropped, buying your raid valuable dps time on the other valkyr since there's absolutely no danger of you dying. Also, since your standing by the edge and way the hell away from your raid, it's actually a good thing to get targeted by Defile since it will keep the middle free of clutter for the rest of your raid to move around in.

I use PowerAuras too, along with a special self made sound that hurts my ears each time it pops, but it damn helps ^^

15+ Year Old Account

Standing on the edge with teleport is something I hadn't done yet. Killing the valk's isn't really a problem for us, but having one less person to worry about with defile will help.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Slotter
    This is exactly what I need. I've really only used PowerAura's for buffs and debuffs and when I found out Defile was a targetted spell I didn't think PowerAura's would work. :/

Don't suppose you could PM me or copy your config for that one? :P
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/interface-macros/ghadamon's-power-auras-guide/
    check my guide there, added it for you in the last post.
    remember you wont see that you got an icon for in untill he cast it the first time, then PA will store it so dont think smt is wrong.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

15+ Year Old Account

Perfect - Thanks Bakis - just what I needed, appreciate it

15+ Year Old Account

np's

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Nikoll
    First off, never ever ever use your port to avoid defile. You shouldn't need to and if a balk grabs you you port back up. My guilds locks all basicaly stand alone by there port the entire time so if they get grabed they get dropped sooner and port back to saftey sooner.
    learn to play seriously

Quote Originally Posted by Viceversa
    learn to play seriously
    Um, what? If you are doing it diferent than I explained there you are doing it wrong.
    Pondering returning.
    Nikoll - Retribution Paladin

Quote Originally Posted by Viceversa
    learn to play seriously
    Locks standing right at the edge and using a teleport if grabbed is perfect for eliminating them as problems for both defile and valkyr grabs. Yet another fight where locks are awesome

For Defile, with us using DBM we ended up setting on the /s warning when defile is cast on that player, and turning off warning for DBM on self - this leaves a warning for DBM near you, which is all you are really worried about anyway.

Defile can be a problem if dropped by in a valkyr's flight path - you can stack on one side of the center to force valkyr to fly in one direction, and have all defile targets move towards the throne to begin with (or, preferably, one slightly to the left so the next can be done to the right).

One good tip I can offer is - don't run off the disintegrating platform and straight into a frost sphere
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

Quote Originally Posted by Nikoll
    Um, what? If you are doing it diferent than I explained there you are doing it wrong.
    Some people, like myself, might consider this to be an exploit and prefer to not use it. Wanting to do the right thing is not doing it wrong.

15+ Year Old Account

I've heard a few people make the "exploit" comment about this usage of teleport.

Don't you think Blizzard knows warlocks can do this and they would have done something if it was an exploit? Mages can blink - same thing, it's a class mechanic being used for what it was designed for. It's not cheating in any way. Different classes have different abilities that potentially could help them on any given fight. This is ours on this fight.

defile is extremly easy to avoid, DBM is perfect as far as the cd on it goes, just have your raid spread out before it and collapse backin for valks or if valks come first stack until all three have spawn then run out if your name plate isnt flashing red, you dont need some fancy addon to hold your hand for every thing.
    and as for the demo port thing goes..has any one done this succesfully i tried it on 10 man in a wipe and it def did not work
    He who is truly mediocre exerts himself 100%, it is not his efforts that fall short but his ability. Don't be a mediocre poser.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Shattered+Hand&cn=Brootalkid
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Shattered+Hand&cn=Kidvicious

The only one who can decide if it's an exploit is Blizzard, I don't know of any comment by them on the subject so I honestly couldn't tell. What I can do is give the quote from the Ensidia ban:

Type of violation: Exploitation – Abuse of in-game mechanics or glitches with intent to exploit or cheat in World of Warcraft.
    Details: Use of Saronite Bombs to bypass The Lich King fight mechanics Consequences for Account: Account suspended for 72 hours, all items and achievements gained removed.

The bypass to Lich King fight mechanics talked about are exactly the same as what is possible with the portal, ie not having to kill and worry about a Valkyr. Obviously this isn't as big a deal as getting a world first kill on the final boss of an expansion, doesn't mean it's not bypassing fight mechanics.

The argument that something is possible so it's all good is a bad argument imo. It's not up to me to say it is an exploit, but I think it's a slippery slope and telling people they are 'doing it wrong' because they don't want to walk the slippery slope is a bit to far.

15+ Year Old Account

Why use portal, dont see the point of itt if it even works. Groups thinking about using it obviously need to practise Valkyr control and damage.