Feral tree be redone?

With all these changes to gear concerning tanks will the feral tree be redone so that we don't have to have different specs for tanks and dps? I know most ferals will agree that its some what hard to do do both rolse with one spec and i for one have dual spec for tanking and dpsing. The changes to gear and auras makes it sound like any class with tanking abilities can basically turn on an aura and tank. Though prot spec will always tank better then fury/arms there are bound to be different specs tanking (mainly for heroics). Even dks it sounds like 2 different trees will be able to tank.

So i'm just curious if our feral tree will once again be slimmed down once again so that its not so bloated as it now is.

Re: Feral tree be redone?

it's probably going to remain the same except the changes they mentioned (fixing talents that are mandatory, but not very fun is what i think they said) and buffing some of the bear talents (since the *only* advantage we have is not worrying about defense, but when no class has it they will probably surpass us without changes)

expect changes but i'd say we'll still have talents for bear only, talents for cat only and talents for both still

They were pretty adamant about feral druids not being able to dps and tank with the same talent build when wrath came out (technically you can but you won't be competitive at either). I don't really expect them to change their minds on the subject. I would suspect that the major differences would be in the Mastery section now vs the talent trees but who really knows at this point.

15+ Year Old Account

That is a change I would love to see, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were some talents that define your spec as dps or tanking similar to now. I suspect that they will make Ferals have to go through as much work with their spec as every other tanking class in that you can't have both and do them at a high level without having multiple specs. It is a real shame the system is like that right now because I would love to have the option to dps, tank, or heal depending on the situation. Go go tri-specs.

technically you can but you won't be competitive at either
    I disagree; you can be very competitive with both by just min/maxxing your talent picks. In particular, a pure tank build can get within 5-6% of the DPS of a pure-cat build. Obviously, you need to swap out some glyphs (but glyphs are the new flasks), and your gear needs to be appropriate... but there is nothing in the talent spec that stops you now. It will be even easier in cataclysm, when there will be more "fluff points" to make your spec more enjoyable.

However:
    With the advent of dual-spec, it doesn't matter anymore. Why bother cramming two roles into one spec, when you can just respec and pick up that extra couple percent effectiveness? Most classes only have two roles anyway, what used to be a huge cause for jealousy is now irrelevant.

15+ Year Old Account

The trees aren't being completely re-done. They're just gonna change some of the stuff we have, the less interesting yet mandatory talents.

Examples:

- Sharpened Claws, can quickly be made into a Mastery property
    - Thick Hide, same stuff. They can just make it passive and who care if you're a Cat or a Bear, you'll have enough talents to define your role already
    - SotF, if they're really gonna implement the crit reduction into Bear / Dire Bear, then we can easily expect a "+6%" attributes talent to disappear, and become some passive bonus

The Feral tree is already "well made" in Cataclysm terms, so it will probably face little adjustment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cortano
    I disagree; you can be very competitive with both by just min/maxxing your talent picks. In particular, a pure tank build can get within 5-6% of the DPS of a pure-cat build. Obviously, you need to swap out some glyphs (but glyphs are the new flasks), and your gear needs to be appropriate... but there is nothing in the talent spec that stops you now. It will be even easier in cataclysm, when there will be more "fluff points" to make your spec more enjoyable.

However:
    With the advent of dual-spec, it doesn't matter anymore. Why bother cramming two roles into one spec, when you can just respec and pick up that extra couple percent effectiveness? Most classes only have two roles anyway, what used to be a huge cause for jealousy is now irrelevant.
    Agreed, with a talent tree alog the lines of this :
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?drui...zzuvd51,,11403
    Compared to cookie cutter cat spec you lose :
    - 4% crit
    - 15% FB damage
    That's not alot considering someone picking a hybrid cat/bear spec won't have a gear allowing him to FB that often
    Compared to cookie cutter bear spec you lose :
    - 30% swipe damage
    - Infected wounds
    Infected wounds can be brought by prot warriors and paladins, and 30% swipe damage will only be really gamebreaking (if gamebreaking at all) on trashes, which are we all agree irrelevant.

PS : I'm not saying this is the best hybrid spec, nor that I would use it, only a quick sketch of what you can do.
    PPS : Glyphs would be harsh to chose, but as of the current state of bear glyphs... I'd say 2 out of 3 SR/Shred/Rip (2 best of these obviously) with maul or frenzied regeneration if I had to chose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark
    I dont know why everyone expects thing to be rebuilt after a cataclysm. Last time i checked, earthquakes dont fix roofs.

- 30% swipe damage
    - Infected wounds
    Drop improved mangle and primal precision instead; the swipe damage and slow are just too useful for most tanks. (Mangle is largely wasted, and precision can be out-geared.) Neither one affects your cat form DPS.

Glyphs you just swap in and out as needed; they are pretty cheap these days.

but lets face it... when everyone has dual specs; no one really cares if you can cram two specs into one these days.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Cortano
    but lets face it... when everyone has dual specs; no one really cares if you can cram two specs into one these days.
    My feral PVE DPS, feral PVP and resto PVE offspecs disagree right now I just keep respeccing my OS on a weekly basis hehe