Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

what is the first thing you look at when selecting players for a pug raid

when is compose a raid the first thing i always look at is the guild theyre in because a good guil repution mostly garauntees a good player

Re: what is the first thing you look at when selecting players for a pug raid

First I check his guild and then armory profile (gems/enchants/achievements)

10+ Year Old Account

Guild tag is a consideration - there are some guilds I simply won't run with because I've had repeated problems with their guild members being rude, obnoxious, bad, or just plain stupid. Like a guild on my home server that is an utter disgrace to my favorite Terry Pratchett novels...

I admit, I also tend to be picky about player names, and not because I'm an RPer. Ive just had more bad PUG experiences with names like 'Necromaster' or 'Ipwnulol' or 'Mcstabumz' than I have with names like, say, 'Joe'.

...and if I'm on one of my casters, the tank damn well better have more armor and HP than me. Yes, that includes my holy paladin.
    When asked about the role of women in video games, Samus Aran said, "..." - and then she blew up the planet. AGAIN.

Guilds + Achievements. Gems + Enchanting after that.

First? Their gear. Say what you will about gearscore but at a certain level you cannot perform to a standard demanded by something like Icc or togc.

After I look at their gear I generally ask them if they can describe a few fight mechanics or what their dps rotation is in a standstill fight. If they get all huffy and think it's a stupid question they're either A. Arrogant and I don't want them anyway or B. Don't know and are trying to cover. You can also get a rough idea of someones intellegence level with a few minutes of conversation.

This only really works for 10m raids though, quizzing 24 people while trying to coordinate class balance and shit is just too much.

Their raid experience. You can have players in amazing gear but not know how to play at all.
    Enchants and gems are also really important. You can see how serious they are about their performance in raids.

The guild there in is usually a good starting point. i then check their gems/enchants/spec and gear to see if they have a clue what they are doing. If it's an easier instance I grab anyone of a reasonable gear level (ie not in greens) and replace them if they fail.

I'll mostly just go /eg (using the ElitistGroup addon) to see whether they're gemmed/enchanted correctly and are using PvE gear and gear relevant to their role. I won't demand 100% enchants/gems, but it'd pretty damn well be close . After that, I'll look at their talents. And finally, their experience. If they have little, or claim to have done it on their main/other character, I'll ask them about different bosses. This is all shown with ElitistGroup, so I suppose it counts as the first thing I look for. Guild comes second to me, though it is something that can tip the scales both upwards and downwards if in doubt.

In 10-mans I'd be more selective, though.

Mass-Invite, and then Armory them out one for one.

Gearscore > gear / armory > can they listen / have achievements.

if they do horribly at their role and die on the boss, /boot.

everything else i leave to my more picky comrades.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

gearscore to get a nice base of where the persons gear is at (Laugh at me if you will, it works)
    then armory/inspect for proper gems/enchants.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Aegwynn&cn=Zerate

15+ Year Old Account

Just get people and see how it goes.

If we whipe once, the worst people will leave anyway.
    Replace and try again.

Why? Because if people want to, they can.
    People who do not wish to try (and thus leave after 1 whipe) will never be able to "truly" raid unless you call getting carried a "raid".

I personally don't care much for Gearscore. I've seen people with minus 500 GS hit 1000DPS more. Even though Gear does help, its really the player that counts in my opinion. And as an above poster said: a good guild history has a +.
    Dawwwwwww

Obviously I just look at their gear score, what other information could I possibly care about?

Quote Originally Posted by pokImoon
    when is compose a raid the first thing i always look at is the guild theyre in because a good guil repution mostly garauntees a good player
    First, gearscore.
    Then achievements.

Nothing else.

10+ Year Old Account

Gearscore is horrible to look at first, Sure you could have a 3k GS but then you see on the meters that they can't even do over 5k DPS. I would ask for achievement first then like someone else said look at what guild there in and kind of gems and enchants and spec they have. Just because you have a high GS doesn't mean crap.
    Packers - Penguins - Gators

Guild -> Armory -> Achievements (I also ask if that's their main or alt. If Alt, I ask for main's name for achievement.)

15+ Year Old Account

If its something that I actually need a certain quality of player for, I'll have current members bring friends, guildies or personal contacts.
    If I need to rely on total strangers then there is no substitute for a real gear check. Gearscore is a sloppy substitute.
    Always forgive your enemies, nothing annoys them so much. ~attributed to Oscar Wilde

I usually have a few guildies and only pug things like VoA, so I just don't invite anyone who says "inv" and the raids end up going pretty smoothly.

10+ Year Old Account

Nothing. I take anyone that asks to go. If they suck, they get replaced. End of story.
    EverQuest, City of Heroes, Star Wars Galaxies, EverQuest II, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Star Wars TOR, Guild Wars 2, Rift.