Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...

Re: what is the first thing you look at when selecting players for a pug raid

Guild tag,obviously

Quote Originally Posted by b``
    Raided LK25 with a GS of 4900.
    oh yes, and topped meters too....

First I make sure they are what they said they are.
    You wouldn't believe how many times I spam LF 1 HEALS *insert raid here* and have rogues and hunters asking for a spot. Band-aids don't count.

Other than that, I ask them one simple question. If they answer correctly, they are in.
    The question is: Who would win in a fight between Lemmy and God?

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by grimkiller
    Other than that, I ask them one simple question. If they answer correctly, they are in.
    The question is: Who would win in a fight between Lemmy and God?
    That's a trick question. Lemmy IS God!
    When asked about the role of women in video games, Samus Aran said, "..." - and then she blew up the planet. AGAIN.

The way they gear, gem and spec. If they wisp me with their GS i put them on ignore, if they mention GS trough the raid i kick them and put them on ignore.

GS is used by players that never saw any endgame pre-WotLK and got no clue how to judge another player, to judge someone they need an addon that generates a number based on ilvl alone.

Quote Originally Posted by ohlins
    GS is used by players that never saw any endgame pre-WotLK

Uhh. No.

6/6 pre-nerf Sunwell here. I use GS. I use it at the first line of defense against bad pugs, NOT the only line. It's only the first gate to pass.

gearscore, and achi

then i check gems and spec if it makes any sence and not 31/20/20

Deleted

Spelling and grammar, to be honest. I assume that if they want to put effort into that, there's a good chance they put effort into other things as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BlissLeaf
    Their raid experience. You can have players in amazing gear but not know how to play at all.
    You can also have players with less than stellar gear be great players. Works both ways. People can be carried through raids too, so that doesn't show everything.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

When selecting a player to fill in one of my raids I do a complete background check IRL and ingame. Second I ask for their social security number. I really feel uncomfortable if, say, your brother is playing your account. Next I do an in-depth credit check and look at their credit score. I obviously do not want anyone in my group with a sub par credit score. Next you must e-mail to me a scanned copy of identification along with a birth certificate. That is just for 10 mans. I try to be a little more picky when doing 25 mans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhurn
    First? Their gear. Say what you will about gearscore but at a certain level you cannot perform to a standard demanded by something like Icc or togc.

After I look at their gear I generally ask them if they can describe a few fight mechanics or what their dps rotation is in a standstill fight. If they get all huffy and think it's a stupid question they're either A. Arrogant and I don't want them anyway or B. Don't know and are trying to cover. You can also get a rough idea of someones intellegence level with a few minutes of conversation.

This only really works for 10m raids though, quizzing 24 people while trying to coordinate class balance and shit is just too much.
    I like this. It shows that the candidate has done some research about their class and the dungeon.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Guild name probably

I am actually kind of amazed at the people posting who using gear score properly. I imagine, since these are people who put together groups and not people butt hurt by not getting into a group due to gs, its a better sample. But still, so many people are so reasonable about it. Which is that it should be a general indicator of what they could do. You can check GS, and see someone with 3500 asking for ICC. They just won't be able to do it without being pulled. They just can't. But, as long as your are reasonable about the GS level you look for, there is no issues. Its really just to weed out those that will whisper you to come to ICC in their quest greens. Its one of but NOT the only thing that should be looked at. And it seems most raid leaders posting here realize that and that is nice to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Miralynn
    That's a trick question. Lemmy IS God!
    You, good sir or ma'am, may raid with me anytime!

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by frester
    oh yes, and topped meters too....
    I was a healer.

Don't run many pugs, but when I do, it's gear / guild. It's pretty easy to tell who knows what they're doing and who doesn't. Anyone in raid gear (doesn't have to be all from the latest raid) and is min/maxing the gear they have is probably going to be a good player. I care nothing for score, only if their gear would require skill to obtain. Seeing someone with pieces from heroic Ulduar would trump anyone in full welfare / ToC 10 / ICC lower spire gear. Gemming and enchants are usually the easiest way for me to tell if a person knows how to play their toon. I'm always amazed at some of the strange things people do with gems and enchants.

10+ Year Old Account

guild name, the way they talk and blood elfs are usually bad
    ....................................................................................

Name -> Guild -> Gear

So many bads have stupid char names or guilds
    Everthing is so much easier when you stop giving a shit

The correct answer is GEARSCORE