Poll: How many of you think Chill of the Throne was an unimaginative way to add difficulty to a raid?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Chill of the Throne

How many of you guys think Chill of the Throne was an unimaginative way to add difficulty to a raid. I do not tank ICC.

Re: Chill of the Throne

I hate loaded questions. I think this thread is an embarrassment to be honest.

why is that

This wasn't to make it more difficult. This was to try and eliminate the 100%-to-2%-to-100%-to-2% thing ToC had going on.

You put your own opinion into the question. That's not how you do something like this. A better question would be:

"What is your opinion of the Chill of the Throne debuff?" without a poll associated with the question.

Even then, this discussion has been done to death. There is nothing to add about it.

15+ Year Old Account

The reasoning has already been explained to death.

They wanted to avoid bosses hitting for 40k every 5 seconds, and wanted to make them hit for 20k every 2.5 seconds. It makes the damage consistent and easy to heal through without lowering boss damage. It was because avoidance scaling got out of control, ONCE AGAIN.

Look up Sunwell Radiance on Wowhead. Same thing.

are you saying it was kinda to help ...but either way i thought a tanks job was pretty much to keep the bad guys off the raid as well as be able to take the hits and so you gear and plan for that and just seemed wierd to have alot fo that taken away like that ...are you talking about having so much already you got alot of diminishing returns and essentially lossing alot of that mitigation anyhow?

sorry was just answered while i was writing that last response

how asking this question makes me a douchebag i dunno and it would seem by calling me a douchbag is the douchebag thing to do but whatever ...and it was simply lack of information and understanding at the time of the post but now that i do understand it is still unimaginative for whatever really it was done

Refer back to SWP.

yeah i was talking to a friend of mine who had played tank in bc and was talking about something like that being done in swp

Quote Originally Posted by mcgenius99
    yeah i was talking to a friend of mine who had played tank in bc and was talking about something like that being done in swp
    Exactly the same thing was done in sunwell because avoidance didn't have diminishing returns back then and people were using rogues with 100% avoidance to tank stuff.

The reason why the debuff was put in (as has been stated before in this thread) was to even out the damage that Bosses do without actually lowering the over-all damage. Here's how it went in ToC:

Dodge dodge block dodge HIT FOR 40K HEAL THE SHIT OUT OF HIM dodge dodge block.

OR here's what you prayed DIDN'T happen in TOC:

Dodge dodge block dodge HIT FOR 40K HEAL THE SHI- OH FUCK HIT AGAIN HE'S DEAD. WIPE.

Now being hit two times in a row isn't insta-wipe. Blizzard doesn't want an entire raid's failure to be caused by the RNG of being hit twice in a row.
    If you want to make raiding content harder, turn off DBM. Voila! Your encounters will be much more challenging without bleeps and someone telling you to "run away, little girl."

ok in swp too much dodge equal too easy i guess and then now there are diminishing returns to make up for that but in turn cause major burst of tank dmg so they lower dodge to make up for high dodge to reduce diminishing returns ..gotcha and something had to be done and the "fix" was chill of the throne which as i said was unimaginative ...now i do not have a better solution but that being said i am not making the money to solve those kinda of things

A better solution would be not making gear with so much avoidance that it becomes a problem in the first place.

i am ultimately confident that with all the minds that work at blizzard a solution other then just poof -20% dodge could have been applied

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Shiira
    A better solution would be not making gear with so much avoidance that it becomes a problem in the first place.
    Stats were never intended to be that high, but with hard modes and another extra tier of gear being added later in the expansion, it was unavoidable (EDIT: oh snap, see what I did there?).

Quote Originally Posted by mcgenius99
    i am ultimately confident that with all the minds that work at blizzard a solution other then just poof -20% dodge could have been applied
    It was the simplest and most effective way of solving the problem. Occam's razor, my friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by BattlemasterSkarab View Post
    GOD's ARMAGEDDON and DOOM'S DAY!!!!!!.... Imagine that...
    4 apocalyptic horsemen
    Sky turned red
    Sun turned black
    All WoW servers down

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm
    It was the simplest and most effective way of solving the problem. Occam's razor, my friend.
    Precisely. There's no reason to use an elaborate method when the most simple one gets the job done in an extremely efficient manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm
    Stats were never intended to be that high, but with hard modes and another extra tier of gear being added later in the expansion, it was unavoidable (EDIT: oh snap, see
    They didn't need to put silly amounts of avoidance on all the tank gear just because it had the item level to support it.

ok new question how could they not have forseen this knowing there own gear, the tenacity of the raiding community, and have simiar problems in the past

which also makes me wondering how they could not have know the stress wintergrasp would have on there servers ...they know the numbers and could have tested worst case scenario there but instead they had to come up with another simple yet unimaginative solution and that was hey you can't use this content right now cause our servers can not handle it but in truth even that did not fix it ...i play on a mdeium/high pop server and its bad i can't even imagine how it is on a very high pop server and all these things are probably thing that could have been prevented or dealt with before the problem happened