15+ Year Old Account

Need Help....charge & positioning

Ok so this is getting really frustrating for me when I'm on my warrior (other tanks have been pally & DK which don't have a charge). I charge a mob or boss and charge straight through them whenever they are immune to the stun or I miss (assuming the miss is also from the stun effect of charge). Mind you this is not the "charge a player & they jump so you go past them" bug from pvp. When I stop I'm past the mob & now facing the opposite way of it so I have to do a quick swing around so I'm facing it again. The only problem is its only 1/2 the time when my charge misses or is done to immune to stun things that I'm facing away from the mob.

The other problem I have is with camera angles where I charge in and my camera angling gets all screwed up. I tried messing around with the default camera UI and see that the onlys time the camera will swing back on its own whenever I'm not looking right at something directly in front of me is if I move or set up so that it ALWAYS snaps back even if I don't move. The moving one doesn't always work how you would think & the "always" option is just horrible for being able to off-center camera angling to pick up adds or whatnot other times.

Is there anything I can do to fix either of these problems or am I just completely screwed and have to put more effort into camera angles & positioning?

Re: Need Help....charge & positioning

id personaly say just charge turn around thunderclap shockwave. when they are stunned positioning is easyer. bout that cam stuff. keep your right mouse button in and turn halfway the charge. if a mob is immune to a charge youl charge trough him and end up facing him behind him.

also. charge ALOT. once your used to it youl love it more then anything in the game (maby spellreflecting chaosbolt & conflag at the same time <3)
    There is really no reason to get mad in a discussion. Unless u dont understand basic logic then rage away

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by brabal
    also. charge ALOT. once your used to it youl love it more then anything in the game (maby spellreflecting chaosbolt & conflag at the same time <3)
    Oh I do love it. My warrior is 72 and prot so I didn't get to actually charge pull until I was 51 (being that at 50 I picked up devastate) so most of my pulls were either a taunt pull or using my throwing axe.

I'll just reinforce what Brabal said:

-Right mouse button for the camera on the self-positioned camera is best for charging, turning during or right after the charge to face the pull.

-Charge isn't on the GCD. That means that if you're worried the mob will run past you, you can Thunder Clap or Heroic Throw (when you get it) mid-charge as you pass through. This doesn't fix the facing issue, but it ensures that the boss doesn't go and say "hi" to the rest of your party.

Couple of things for you to keep in mind.

1. Look at your latency and frame-rate. Consider shutting off some programs in the background if you're lagging and need to free up resources.

2. Before a fight use bloodrage and que up heroic strike as you rush in while hammering the key for devastate or shield slam.

3. If you have to go to berserker, hit recklessness, then go to defensive, hit bloodrage, then charge with HS qued up. It's a guaranteed crit right on you.

Mostly what you need right now is practice. So just keep tanking and it will come to you, once you get heroic throw it will help things out a bit too since you can throw -> charge.

15+ Year Old Account

After reading the last couple replies I think what I was trying to get across wasn't clear. The charge/miss/not facing him thing is just positioning of where I end up. Its not about not having threat and the mob/boss running to a party member. Its just simply when I charge and miss the stun or its something immune to stuns (in a party or soloing) I end up facing away from what I charged because I charge through it & now my back is to it. The few times that I've been in a group & that's happened and dps started in before I got a swing off all I did was taunt back to me and we were fine. I'm generally so far ahead of threat with mobs that after the first 15-20% of its health I could just auto attack and never lose threat lol.

You just need to be aware that when you charge, you are going to run through the boss, and react accordingly. When I charge the boss, the first thing I do is jump and spin a 180, it sounds stupid but I feel like i can turn faster in the air and it works for me.

Think a step ahead and be ready to turn as soon as the charge gets off.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77
    After reading the last couple replies I think what I was trying to get across wasn't clear. The charge/miss/not facing him thing is just positioning of where I end up. Its not about not having threat and the mob/boss running to a party member. Its just simply when I charge and miss the stun or its something immune to stuns (in a party or soloing) I end up facing away from what I charged because I charge through it & now my back is to it. The few times that I've been in a group & that's happened and dps started in before I got a swing off all I did was taunt back to me and we were fine. I'm generally so far ahead of threat with mobs that after the first 15-20% of its health I could just auto attack and never lose threat lol.
    I'm a big charge fan, so lemme give you some tips. What the people have said here about holding down your right mouse button while you charge, is dead on.

Hold it down and TURN THE CAMERA (and your toon as a result) WHILE YOU CHARGE IN as you approach the target an expect to be turning your camera 180 degrees already. Understand on bosses you will almost always charge thru them. So learn to always be holding your Right Mouse Key and proactively turning your camera already. This helps with positioning your toon the right way, and combatting the camera flip.

That's step 1.

Step 2 is, spam Shield Slam as you charge in. Literally button mash it non stop during the charge. So in the event you do go thru them you've slammed them on the way passed, and so they turn and face you at the end of your charge. This way they face you as you turn and face them as well.

These simple practices should become common place for you, and as a result the camera flip, not tagging the boss right off and having him run to the raid, and wrong positioning become a non-issue since now you are proactively combatting it.

TL;DR - Hold Right Mouse, Turn camera AND toon as you zoom in, Spam Shield Slam.