Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Mages VS Lich King

For starters: Which spec should be used?

I have attempted using Arcane, only to find myself out of mana at the start of P3 (Valkire Phase)
    I have used fire, however in all honestly the single target dps doesnt live up to what it should at certain points in the fight.
    And frost.... well its frost. Mana is ok but the damage is just poor by any standards.

I am used to pulling 7-8k dps however at key points im almost sitting doing nothing waiting for Evo or a Gem to come off CD, which can and does usually mean that someone gets dragged to their death.

Cant link a Armory Profile, however i am at around 1k haste and over 3.5k SP buffed: Is the haste ooming me? or does spamming 4AB's waiting for a MB proc just not viable in this type of fight?

Note: Phase 2 i use Frost ward to gain as much mana as i can, however its never enough to make a large difference.

Thanks for the comments in advance.

Re: Mages VS Lich King

How are you posibly running out of mana.

Have the same problem as arcane mage, but I am oom before p2 starts (lol). Some tips would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by jstar80
    How are you posibly running out of mana.
    Wow nice way of repeating his Question...

Well Sadly I don’t have anything to contribute either but since we will go for LK tonight I would be intrested in this as well and hope to hear some fair Sugestions
    Remeber Kid‘s: As long as people have same delusion they are not crazy, they're are a „religion“.

Quote Originally Posted by Leios the Worstcase
    Wow nice way of repeating his Question...
    It is a fair enough question. He presumably has at least 25k mana raid buffed most likely replenishment, BoW or mana spring, maybe mana tide, evocation on 2 min, 3 mana gems a runic mana potion and a rotation that is eminently sustainable over long periods. If he is going oom there is something wrong with his rotation or he is not using his mana generating abilities at the right time.

Going oom as an arcane mage has basically disappeared from the game.

EDIT: And YES if I read you correctly spamming ABx4 while waiting for MBarr is obviously going to make you go oom. If this is what you are doing I litereally can't believe you have asked the question.

First of all your doing 10 or 25 man on 25 man you should have judgement of wisdome up on the boss and replenichment (spelling) wich should help your mana.
    but as arcane if your runing out of mana think of saving you cds till later in the fight and try to preserve mana for the times it count, so dont spam ab till you get a proc just do arcane barrage instead of AM sometimes.
    your dps might not be the top but if you save your mana and cd's for the parts where the raid needs them the most you'll of more use then being oom at that point.
    you said you had a 1000 haste i know its nice on short fights but on the longer ones it can gymp your dpm so maybe dump a bit for the longer fights and just have you skill hit harder with sp.

if you still run in to problems go fire have less mana issues but also do a bit less dps sadly.

You say you're waiting for the mbarr proc, I'd say that is what is OOM'ing you. I personally don't theorycraft / all that so don't know the numbers but sitting there doing nothing is much worse for your DPS than just dropping your AB stack with a abar.

I know from experience (not on LK) that fishing for that final mbarr can take away an awful lot of your mana if it just WILL not proc.

Quote Originally Posted by jstar80
    EDIT: And YES if I read you correctly spamming ABx4 while waiting for MBarr is obviously going to make you go oom. If this is what you are doing I litereally can't believe you have asked the question.
    See that is what people in this thread are looking for Thx
    Remeber Kid‘s: As long as people have same delusion they are not crazy, they're are a „religion“.

Fair enough

Deleted

I'm running the fight as arcane since I hate ffb with my gear (and fire has almost as much mana problems as arcane anyways in that fight). Haste isn't ooming you, I have littlebit over 1k ub, and I'm doing fine. I recommend equipping Talisman for that fight, it's nice for the regen overall (I was sitting at 34k mana buffed up, huge evos).

So, at the start of the fight, I stack my ABs, pop mirrors / every other CD, start nuking. I'm using the first managem as fast as possible to get it back up in no time (obviously). During p1, I'm able to pull another arcanepower, quickly after that it's already p2 (or p1.5 if you think about it that way.). Here, I use frostward too, altough you shouldn't rely on it. I'll pop my second managem and use icyveins to get full evo (this is crucical). At this point, I'm at full mana, or atleast very close to. DPS the adds, p3 begins (or p2, w/e). At this point, I just continue to use my CDs when they are up and there is valkyries (the extra burst is always welcome), use my managems as often as possible (craft newones when defile and valkyries are on CD) and evocate when I know it's safe (again, when defile and valkyries are on CD). Not going oom this way, managing well.

But one thing for sure: NEVER fish barrageprocs: cut your stacks with normal missiles as soon as you hit 4. You just won't have enough mana. Also, if missiles are procced and you know it's not that big DPS-race phase (for example, p1), just use them with 3 stacks, maybe even with 2 to save some mana. But honestly, if you are geared to the fight and use CDs properly I don't see you running oom too often.

Good luck with it, hope this helps

10+ Year Old Account

Using mana gems on cooldown?

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account

If you find yourself running out of mana drop from 4 x AB to 3 x AB, it's not that big of a DPS loss and you wont be running OOM.

But DPS wise you shouldn't really be looking for big numbers on this boss, it's just one of those fights where mages don't shine as much as other fights.

It's the same as every other fight. Manage your mana around 2 minute evocations. if you're using 100% of your pool in 2 minutes, you're going to oom. It's standard dps. I use mana gems on CD then just pom a new stack when the time comes, some people just save them for vile spirit phase (p3 or p5, whichever you like).

Nothing special. Evocate during transition number 1. If you can't make it that long, wtf are you doing.

Well for a start i wouldnt play arcane on LK in the first place. Frostfire or Fire is the way to go. If you have the hit definately go fire. Phase 3 is were you will shine and if played properly you will top the vile spirit dmg and be a bigger relief than single targetting them as arcane. I played FFB on our first 10 man kill and Fireball on our first 25 man kill. Adding to the fact that fire is a more viable spec with all the moving than arcane.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Deleted

Don't fish for Missile Barrage procs in the LK encounter. You simply won't have enough mana for it.

Pop all CD's at the start of the fight and nuke with your normal rotation. Pop a Mana Gem as soon as you're lacking like 5k mana. Then depending on how big mana pool / good raid dps you have you should need to Evocate at the end of P1 or in the very beginning of P2. Use Frost Warding on CD and take 1 tick of Remorseless Winter as often as you can in both P2 and P4. After this just use Mana Gem / Evocation when off CD. If you feel like you're running oom faster than Evo / Mana gem is becoming ready switch to 3 AB > (MB)AM or call out for an Innervate from your friendly DPS druid.

most of it has been mentioned above

-don't fish for MB procs with AB spam, the fights too long for your mana to sustain this

-evo during P1-P2 transaction before the first spirit comes out, it's one of the scarce 0 dps moments in IC. P3-P4 is practically the same as well

-BUT, you still will likely end up having to use evo during P3 and P5. Although there aren't any 0 dps moments there still are more 'preferable' moments to evo [like Jaxx]
    P3 obviously you won't want to be evoing while a defile or valkire drops
    P5 after the spirits come down should be a more preferable moment to evo
    Quote Originally Posted by Nawramsti
    Mages are fine wtf are you talking about.
    Frost for PvP Arcane for LOLPVP and Fire for...... for.....for.......one sec will get back to you.

all mages of our guild are raiding as arcane for this fight, none of us are oom and arcane burst helps a lot for spirit and valkyr

15+ Year Old Account

I am arcane for LK, but the difference with all other encounters is that I'm not waiting for AM proc. I use 7 AB tops, if i don't have an AM proc on the 6th AB i will use a barrage on the 7th to drop my stack. Apart from that frost ward and step in to remorseless winter can help a bucket load if your lucky. Getting grabbed by a a valkyr helps a lot as well. Evocate between that shit on the ground and valkyr spawns, use mana gems as it gets off cooldown.

And if you want to boost your dps a bit just go solo lich king for a bit while your raid 'rests'

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Thanks for all the replys:

To answer some questions

I use mana gems (Obviously)
    I have around 33k mana buffed
    I am refering to 10 man, i should have mentioned that.

As far as waiting for a MBproc, it makes sense to push as much damage as possible to avoid the fight straining the healers mana. We roll with a melee stacked group so i rarely get totems or anything to improve my dps allowing me to accept 3AB stacks.

P1.5 ( or 2) seems to be the worst part for mana, one person stated that they manage to get an Evocate off in that time... Well the adds (Ones that spawn from people, cant remember the name) need to die fast or you end up bringing 2 into the next phase. So that isnt really an option.

Has anyone attempted this fight as Fire or Frost? with decent results ofc?

evo 'before' the first add spawns. the first few seconds of P2 leaves you with nothing to dps
    a orb regens early but it should be out of range plus in 10mans they get one shoted by a AB crit anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by Nawramsti
    Mages are fine wtf are you talking about.
    Frost for PvP Arcane for LOLPVP and Fire for...... for.....for.......one sec will get back to you.