Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted

Re: Is it ever worth dipping slightly below hitcap?

On my balance druid I can sometimes be fine with dipping slightly below altho if it happens at the wrong time ( During a Lunar Eclipse) it's a massive loss it wont happen a lot , hell it wont even happen often if we're talking about 1% or even less ... so you're actually ok if you want to dip it will be a loss (IF) you miss a spell and the time you miss the spell might be incremental so I'd advise getting the hit cap..On my mage however I do not like to miss as most of the time any spell you are casting can be very important, I have 2 neck pieces 1 with crit and hit the other with crit and haste for situations like this :P

Quote Originally Posted by Trample
    15 hit below the cap is... nothing. You will miss really rarely.
    Ergs don't be that sure.
    i'm 1 rating (so its...0.06%?)below the cap (horde, arcane) and had it a few times that one or more spells in a row missed...
    in situations like that i'm asking myself why i don't gem it... :/

Quote Originally Posted by Trample
    15 hit below the cap is... nothing. You will miss really rarely. The real problem of not having the +3% hit buff is for dual wield mele classes. Since the +3% for them is something like 1 -> 1.5 % dmg buff (considering that white damage for rogues/enh shamans is between 30% and 50% of their total damage).

the hit they are losing by not have SP/Boom is spell hit not melee dual wield hit... Rogues, Enhance shaman need to be spell hit capped "poisons, Lightning bolt" / special capped "sinister strike, Windfury", which is different from Melee hit cap 740+.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiga
    Hit interacts with some talents, so it's not a pure damage increase/decrease:

- It probably interferes with fire mage Hot Streaks (a miss on a spell that would have otherwise been a crit).
    - Frost mages don't lose fingers of frost charges on missed spells.
    - Frost mage water elementals do not benefit from Precision, so they need an extra 3% hit (but the benefit is very, very low).

I'm not sure if there are any special cases for arcane?

I look for the highest DPS combination rather than the one that puts me closest to the hit cap. Sometimes it means being slightly under hit cap, sometimes it means being slightly over. Hit is pretty cheap, so for instance the value of the Draenei buff isn't 1% DPS, because I can't gain 1% DPS by reducing 1% hit in my gear.
    A miss can never be a missed crit, crits are rolled off of hits.

being hit capped is more beneficial than a SP gem, but in the end its not the end of the world either way - the damage loss is minimal and it will not determine the outcome of a fight

Quote Originally Posted by taureninator
    being hit capped is more beneficial than a SP gem, but in the end its not the end of the world either way - the damage loss is minimal and it will not determine the outcome of a fight
    It depends entirely upon how much of the hit you are using. If you use a 10hit/12 SP gem and you use all 10 points of it to get capped, it's better. If you use one, and 9 go to waste, it wasn't worth it.