new disc priest needs some quick tips!

K so ya basicly hit 80 3 days ago and farmed my arse off, got afew crafted items and stuff. This is no where near my first 80 or healing toon. I faction changed the day before i hit 80 and jumped into a fairly decent guild.

Got invited to icc 25 tonight and it will be my first raid above voa 10 on this toon. Ive got the basics down and im not sure if they are going to stick me on tanks or raid. So check spec and what not and toss some advice my way to make myself representable.

My main is umm 9/12 icc i think so i know fights just not from a disc PoV.

Afew things, i logged in holy... nvm it i dont play holy much, focus on disc
    My prayer of healing glyph will change to flash heal. (liked poh glyph for the heroic farms)
    I will have the 128 int trink before raid tonight as well as the 245 hit wand :-\ its better than my current one lol

Use int trink instead of darkmoon or?

Thanks in advance.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...Halls&cn=Daazy

edit: forgot to add ill also have the 245 crafted bracers tomorrow, that will have sp enchant so =p

Re: new disc priest needs some quick tips!

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...oof&n=Magicism

This was cool, lets do it again some time.
    Has opinions about stuff.
    Character - Danrar (Forever Holy Priest)

don't stack haste like holy, 11% haste is hard cap this means you don't need to chase haste at all, assuming you get 6% from talents and have a wrath of air totem in your raid, you should be stacking spell power if you don't have mana issues, if you have mana issues then pick up some intellect, the reason we stack spell power is because it makes our shields stronger and that's a disc priests main role in a raid they're shield spammers, you also want a good amount of crit on gear because it will help proc divine aegis more and since you won't be looking for haste on gear you should have crit on every single item and mp5 dominates spirit as disc, so keep that in mind as well.

if you were wondering why the haste cap is only 11% well its simple really, borrowed time a spell that procs off casting power word shield increases haste by 25% for 6 seconds, which means if you need haste simply caste a PWS which you will be doing a lot of anyway, this means you can have up to 36% haste when needed.

another role of the disc priest is the "life saver" role this means if someone is about to die you job is to shield then if weakned soul isn't on them and then heal them if they aren't already healed back up by then.

tank healing disc priests go out of the box as fars as rules go, they stack intellect unlike the regular disc priest which stacks spell power, they also may glyph renew instead of power word shield, but they also like the regular disc priest should be going after a lot of crit because keeping divine aegis up is critical. they should be spamming flash and keeping renew on the tank while keeping prayer of mending on cool down, penance should only be used if the tanks starts to dip or on a taunt. greater heal should never be used.

Worthless. What is he supposed to get out of your terribad armory? Your blood queen reg kill like a week ago?
    SIGNATURE RULES SIGNATURE RULES SIGNATURE RULES SIGNATURE RULES

I'm fairly certain that the 11% for haste cap is wrong. Something about it being calculated additively rather than multiplicatively?

The correct BT haste soft cap is 4.67%. Avoiding haste to the point of having less than 5% from gear would be quite challenging and force you to take a majority of spirit/crit or mp5/crit pieces. It's also completely unneccessary to avoid haste like it's the plague after having 5% of it. There WILL be situations in which you don't have time to use 2 GCD's to keep a target up--when they need help NOW. Typically you'd PW:S them, but what if they have Weakened Soul?

All I'm saying is, don't avoid haste after the so-called cap, but don't stack it either. I raid 25s as holy, so I can't really offer you much help with your initial questions--I just didn't want you to fall under the impression that 11% was the soft haste cap or that you should be gearing with it in mind.

You want to be stacking spellpower for raid healing as disc. So if you have an ilvl 232 Crit/MP5 piece, and an ilvl 264 Haste/Crit piece, take the 264 because it has more natural spellpower. Don't avoid it because it has haste on it.

Quote Originally Posted by muto
    don't stack haste like holy, 11% haste is hard cap this means you don't need to chase haste at all, assuming you get 6% from talents and have a wrath of air totem in your raid, you should be stacking spell power if you don't have mana issues, if you have mana issues then pick up some intellect, the reason we stack spell power is because it makes our shields stronger and that's a disc priests main role in a raid they're shield spammers, you also want a good amount of crit on gear because it will help proc divine aegis more and since you won't be looking for haste on gear you should have crit on every single item and mp5 dominates spirit as disc, so keep that in mind as well.
    If anything, Disc will probably have more haste on their gear than holy, solely on how they try to gear. Spi and MP5 is useless except for the LK fight. Every other fight having all Int/Crit/Haste pieces will be better.

if you were wondering why the haste cap is only 11% well its simple really, borrowed time a spell that procs off casting power word shield increases haste by 25% for 6 seconds, which means if you need haste simply caste a PWS which you will be doing a lot of anyway, this means you can have up to 36% haste when needed.
    That 11% haste BT cap, as said before, was based on additive haste, and on when Ulduar was the progressive content. EJ's WotLK Healing Compendium v3.3: Arthas' downfall!, although it says "3.3", it has a lot of outdated items, so do not take everything out of there as the truth unless you can find the info in a more updated source.

another role of the disc priest is the "life saver" role this means if someone is about to die you job is to shield then if weakned soul isn't on them and then heal them if they aren't already healed back up by then.
    Yes, we are the best at being live savers, no that is not our job, that is every healer's job.

tank healing disc priests go out of the box as fars as rules go, they stack intellect unlike the regular disc priest which stacks spell power, they also may glyph renew instead of power word shield, but they also like the regular disc priest should be going after a lot of crit because keeping divine aegis up is critical. they should be spamming flash and keeping renew on the tank while keeping prayer of mending on cool down, penance should only be used if the tanks starts to dip or on a taunt. greater heal should never be used.
    Horrible advice. A Disc priest should NEVER replace glyph of PW:S for Glyph of Renew. The only Glyph that should be replaced would be Glyph of FH, and renew is not exactly that first one to be considered for it. This spec has the greatest HPS of any tank spec a Disc priest can come up with. If you can not handle the GH spam, or do not have a high amount of haste, than just go with the normal FH build but with 5/5 Divine Fury, and use GH whenever BT is up or in BL/Hero. Remember, Penance does not take BT, so a PW:S > Penance > GH will yield a very high HPS in a very short amount of time.

They stack Int/Crit/Haste but stack int for their gem, until they have no mana issues. FH should be used when it can cover the damage, while GH should be used when the tank is taking heavy damage. Penance should be used every CD, along with PoM. Renew is kept on the tank as a buffer, but do is nt very high on the priority to cast it.

Quote from: muto on March 08, 2010, 09:49:30 pm
    Yes, we are the best at being live savers, no that is not our job, that is every healer's job.

it's ours more so though because we are there for utility purposes just like a demo lock or enhancement shaman we aren't there to top the meters we are there to buff and keep our eyes out for people dipping.

That 11% haste BT cap, as said before, was based on additive haste, and on when Ulduar was the progressive content. EJ's WotLK Healing Compendium v3.3: Arthas' downfall!, although it says "3.3", it has a lot of outdated items, so do not take everything out of there as the truth unless you can find the info in a more updated source.

so you're telling me all 25 people in the raid are going to have weakened soul on them? bs.

If anything, Disc will probably have more haste on their gear than holy, solely on how they try to gear. Spi and MP5 is useless except for the LK fight. Every other fight having all Int/Crit/Haste pieces will be better.

i will take mp5 over haste any day of the week, and i will enjoy it.

it's ours more so though because we are there for utility purposes just like a demo lock or enhancement shaman we aren't there to top the meters we are there to buff and keep our eyes out for people dipping.
    Utility? We're there to reduce damage of the raid, being able to save lives better than others is just something that cements our spot in raids.

so you're telling me all 25 people in the raid are going to have weakened soul on them? bs.
    You do realize that you will never have 100% up time of BT, haste is there when you need a heal, and you need it quick. Go ahead, and stay in your old, outdated guide, others will be blowing past you in ability to perform their duty to the raid.

i will take mp5 over haste any day of the week, and i will enjoy it.
    And you will not perform as well as you should be able to. If you do not need mana(when has disc needed mana san LK?), then why would you need MP5? The reason we take haste is because the alternatives are much, MUCH worse. Saying you enjoy MP5 over haste pretty much screams that all you do is PW:S spam, which is only effective on 1 fight, which makes you a bad Disc priest.

Seriously, the only thing Disc lacks is thorough put, which is why Int/Crit/Haste pieces are BiS. The only time when we actually go for regen is the LK fight, and that should be obvious.

P.S. You do know that you can quote a post, then copy/paste to get the sections you want?

Prayer of mending+renew the pop a bubble and /afk
    Would you still hold me if I were covered in blood?

What if they deserved it?

What if they didn't?