Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: Khatsoo's Signature Artwork

I really like your work. I mostly do wallpapers (i'll post an example below) but one thing i've been trying to work out is a way to make the in game models less flat. One I recently did for a guildie was this one:

(Ignore the arm, he liked it and I didn't but it was his image :P)

The models just don't seen to fit and it makes them harder to work with. I guess the best example I could find of yours was as I guess I was just looking for a few pointers

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Mondroc
    I really like your work. I mostly do wallpapers (i'll post an example below) but one thing i've been trying to work out is a way to make the in game models less flat. One I recently did for a guildie was this one:
    Dodge and Burn tools to create shadows and highlights, best way to make things look less 'flat'.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Undertaker
    You should try and broaden your work by making artwork that is at least of 1024x768 size and later shrink / cut out the parts you want made into a signature. You can achieve a much greater realism when you're not stuck to the 500x100 size limit our forums use. If you aren't too offended by criticism as many others are -

You have no visible focal point which makes the image very flat, cutout design or not. The biggest mistake most people do when it comes to blending is they think just because the background is blue the entire render / stock / 3d import has to match this color, but it doesn't. To blend is to make the entire image seamless and most importantly make the lighting match.

Theoretically if only your background has a light source then the imported model should be completely black or at least very dark, depending on how strong the light source is, adding some source of light on top of the model is almost a must if you're looking to add some level of realism.

An example would be this image:

If you had copied some of the fractal artwork (the background light "beams") on top of the model you would achieve an entirely different depth.

Same with this one, if you take one of the bigger light particles and put it on top of the model, possibly even with a lower transparency it would look more part of the background.

All of this mentioned is quite hard to achieve when you're working with something as small as signatures, but small touches can make a huge difference towards the end. This is the reason I stopped working with small images, the level of creativity and detail you can put in is very limited. I still get requests every now and then, and when I do them I simply make a large piece and scale it down while cropping out the most important parts. Works just fine.

Good luck.
    Some really good tips in there. Criticism is always welcome, that's why I created the topic.

It's true that if I copy the layers of the "effects" over the character it seems to be more blended, like this example I think:

or

I'll keep that in mind for future works.

About the light source, I know it's not realistic at all in most cases, but I just fake it to put emphasis on some interesting parts of the armor / face or such.
    With a more present light source it could be easier, but anyway, there's not really much space to put it in there. 500x100 is already small, and I even cut a bit of it.

And not sure about the resizing thing, are you sure it works and once you get it smaller it doesnt looses quality or some of the effects you got?
    I'll try it once though and see by myself.

Thanks again for all the tips!

It does work to scale the work down. I usually make mine 1280x720 and scale it down a little bit, the rest I just crop out and put most effects and focus on the main character. Something like this: http://flawz.deviantart.com/art/WoW-Instapain-151759258 is obviously going to be very difficult to crop out.

Just remember if you do scale or crop down an image, be sure to go Image > Apply Image and then Filter > Sharpen > Sharpen

10+ Year Old Account

My shot at it:

Not a big loss of quality, but I work less confortable not know how it will look when I resize it.
    I'm affraid a lot of the typography, that's why I went for an easy one with this try.

Not sure how long you've been using Photoshop, but it's decent work for a beginner (I assume). There are no real issues with what you're doing, though if you really want to progress I do recommend a focus on larger pieces. You're a bit behind on style, transparencies and particularly the fonts you use were in style about 4 years ago, and the rounded curves you're doing for the sigs (I was actually one of the first to ever use that technique when sigging with Photoshop first gained ground) are a bit, ancient too.

Generally though, decent style and colours, especially since you're working with a fairly difficult medium in the 3D models.

(I'm assuming mild-criticism is ok)

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by SilentMG
    Not sure how long you've been using Photoshop, but it's decent work for a beginner (I assume). There are no real issues with what you're doing, though if you really want to progress I do recommend a focus on larger pieces. You're a bit behind on style, transparencies and particularly the fonts you use were in style about 4 years ago, and the rounded curves you're doing for the sigs (I was actually one of the first to ever use that technique when sigging with Photoshop first gained ground) are a bit, ancient too.

Generally though, decent style and colours, especially since you're working with a fairly difficult medium in the 3D models.

Sorry but this makes me laugh, 'behind on style' it's not like signatures are a fashion item, they're a small piece of art. It's just like saying 'Oh oil paints were used in the 15th century, can't use them now, style's changed'. Especially calling fonts out of style -_- Not sure how what you've said is criticism whatsoever. You've literally told them to follow the crowd and use the 'in' style.

@khatsoo
    That last one is really good, Undertaker had good tips and the blending makes them look even better

10+ Year Old Account

I started with Photoshop 3 years ago when I started my Graphic Design career.
    And I'm sorry for not being trendy :P but as long as requesters are happy with the results I think it's ok.
    About the transparencies, I never used them before and decided to try them and just loved the result. And it goes on par with the concept of signature that there's in my mind: focus in the character.
    Also the types the world is using are all old, I don't think it will be a major problem either, as long as people keeps requesting them and still liking them.
    The curves are in some sigs only, I just try to play with different shapes in each one, going on theme with the caracter. (rogue = spiky, warrior = more solid, priest = soft rounded, for example).

But well, anyways thanks for your time. I appreciate your words as well.

Edit; If linking some of your work can help, I'd really appreciate it too. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Caiti
    @khatsoo
    That last one is really good, Undertaker had good tips and the blending makes them look even better
    Thanks Caiti, I'll keep going then. I really feel like I'm improving a bit more in each one I make.
    More tips will be all welcome.

There's always this if you want a quick rundown of how I make most of my stuff, or made. http://www.mmo-champion.com/general-...ture-tutorial/

If people give you shit about your work and methods just a small note: When you make an artwork (I wouldn't go as far as calling signatures work of art) you're not trying to impress anyone but yourself.

But anyways, if you truly want to broaden your creativity start working differently each time. Analyze other peoples work and try and replicate their effects. Start using stocks that aren't game renders. Stop using same kind of borders (minimal issue). Something like this: http://flawz.deviantart.com/art/Ashley-128398843 was made only to play around with clipping masks. This http://flawz.deviantart.com/art/Suburban-Me-127589350 was only to play around with lighting, and so on. Worst thing you can do is to stick to doing the same thing over and over.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Undertaker
    There's always this if you want a quick rundown of how I make most of my stuff, or made. http://www.mmo-champion.com/general-...ture-tutorial/

If people give you shit about your work and methods just a small note: When you make an artwork (I wouldn't go as far as calling signatures work of art) you're not trying to impress anyone but yourself.

But anyways, if you truly want to broaden your creativity start working differently each time. Analyze other peoples work and try and replicate their effects. Start using stocks that aren't game renders. Stop using same kind of borders (minimal issue). Something like this: http://flawz.deviantart.com/art/Ashley-128398843 was made only to play around with clipping masks. This http://flawz.deviantart.com/art/Suburban-Me-127589350 was only to play around with lighting, and so on. Worst thing you can do is to stick to doing the same thing over and over.
    Great. I already did some of the steps you show in the tutorial, but I make also different things. Anyway, if we both get to a good end result it means it works.
    Edit; The worst thing for now is "rendering" as you say. Because I have to cut all the characters from the sh*t Armory MV backgrounds. Horrible.

The note is also so true, I won't post a signature if I'm not proud and happy with it.
    If the requester then likes it and thanks me for it, it's even better. If someone doesn't like it, I don't care. If someone gives criticism to help me improve, it's always welcome.

And nice work in your gallery. I specially liked the square clipping masks in the hand. Eventhough the size of work in there it's not the same as a sig.
    I got some similar work done from last year in the college but I don't have it uploaded anywhere (and got it in my iMac at home, shitty laptop for erasmus). I'll try to upload it someday.

Thanks for your comments again Undertaker!

I must say I really, really like your signatures, and I wish I knew how to create them.
    I study graphic design but yet I still don't have the skills to make sigs like that, I always end up with basic things like this;

Any tips? It's usually just adding backgrounds effects and lightning and such, I'm clueless..

Quote Originally Posted by LeafyBlade
    I must say I really, really like your signatures, and I wish I knew how to create them.
    I study graphic design but yet I still don't have the skills to make sigs like that, I always end up with basic things like this;

Any tips? It's usually just adding backgrounds effects and lightning and such, I'm clueless..
    You can study graphic design all you want but you can never study creativity.

As for tips - You just gotta keep at it. Read tutorials, learn methods, pay attention to detail, keep at it even more.
    http://www.deviantart.com/#catpath=r...toshop&order=5

Quote Originally Posted by Caiti
    Sorry but this makes me laugh, 'behind on style' it's not like signatures are a fashion item, they're a small piece of art. It's just like saying 'Oh oil paints were used in the 15th century, can't use them now, style's changed'. Especially calling fonts out of style -_- Not sure how what you've said is criticism whatsoever. You've literally told them to follow the crowd and use the 'in' style.

@khatsoo
    And this just proves a complete lack of understanding of art too. If you actually, follow art, and consider sigs to be art then surely you'd realise that Art follows trends just as much as Graphic Design (Which is more likely what signatures fall under) does too. If someone paints in the style of artists 100 years ago, generally they're going to get lambasted, and particularly in modern times if you aren't creating in a 'modern' style then your work won't sell or be received as well.

Maybe what I wrote came across a bit harsh, but I've been in Graphics for a while now, along with receiving 3 Daily Deviations on DeviantArt...I do actually know what I'm talking about. Granted it's been a while since I've done sigs, I'm merely commenting they're a tad 'out-dated' in style.

But anyway, this is essentially topic hijacking. Like I said, technique etc. is all good, just out-dated, and as long as you're happy with what you're making and people are happy with what they're getting back then there's not a problem. Just say you're being retro and keep it up.

I still retain the advice I'd give to any graphic designer, at any stage of their progression. You learn far more creating LPs as opposed to Sigs, though of course if sigs make you happy then, all for it.

/ramble

Deleted

heya, you made a sig for me a few days ago (blindinshade, human lock) but it seems to have dissapeared, ive copied the link from another forum where i had it and it just says sever unavalable to handle request, any idea whats gone wrong and how to fix it? :'(

cheers

10+ Year Old Account

Just say you're being retro and keep it up.
    Then tell me what I should be doing to not be retro. What are the trendy signatures nowadays? Show me!! :P

I still retain the advice I'd give to any graphic designer, at any stage of their progression. You learn far more creating LPs as opposed to Sigs, though of course if sigs make you happy then, all for it.
    What are LPs? I'm not native English speaker so I fail at some abreviations and vocabulary sometimes.. but do you mean CD Covers? Or am I completely wrong?
    I just started making the sigs in here because I play WoW and since I'm on erasmus I can't play it in this laptop.
    So just keeping me entertained with something WoW-Related while learning as well, it's not that I want to develop my arts and skills only doing signatures.

Quote Originally Posted by bigyin109
    heya, you made a sig for me a few days ago (blindinshade, human lock) but it seems to have dissapeared, ive copied the link from another forum where i had it and it just says sever unavalable to handle request, any idea whats gone wrong and how to fix it? :'(

cheers
    I see it in your signature and still in the gallery in the first page, so is the problem fixed? :-\ Another person told me that he couldn't find the sig as well, so maybe ImageShack has some maintenance problems from time to time?

Deleted

I see it in your signature and still in the gallery in the first page, so is the problem fixed? Undecided Another person told me that he couldn't find the sig as well, so maybe ImageShack has some maintenance problems from time to time?
    hmm, might a problem on my end then, still cant see my own sig, will have to try and sort it out, thanks anyway

Lol, you made a signature for Cuppycake. She caused a lot of drama on my server then transferred off
    God; I hate you people.

just here to show how awesome the sig he made me is

and while i am here, how can a sig be "behind on style"? do people go around looking for what is "in"? or is there some big building of administrators that decare what you should and shouldn't use?

love the teapot <3 is placed even better that i could have hoped for

10+ Year Old Account

Sounds awesome!

Armory link / SS: http://yfrog.com/5bscreenshot102zsp
    : http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...las&cn=Taurous

Text: Taurous, and The Fighting Mongooses.
    Font: I love the shaman "Garric" on the 1st page text.
    Background: Foresty background.
    Color: green's and maybe some brown's.
    Shape: Parallelogram!
    Pose: My pic or if it doesnt work, armory pose, looking from the right to my name, original eh?
    Situation: Character on left side and name next to it in the right side.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by bigyin109
    hmm, might a problem on my end then, still cant see my own sig, will have to try and sort it out, thanks anyway
    :-\ Don't know what can I do to solve it. Good luck, and no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackriver
    Lol, you made a signature for Cuppycake. She caused a lot of drama on my server then transferred off
    Cuppycuppy!

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log
    just here to show how awesome the sig he made me is

and while i am here, how can a sig be "behind on style"? do people go around looking for what is "in"? or is there some big building of administrators that decare what you should and shouldn't use?

love the teapot <3 is placed even better that i could have hoped for
    Thanks for your words.
    And now that I notice, the teapot is giving some tea to the boar shoulder! ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Taurous
    Sounds awesome!
    This thread is not for requests. Thanks.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/general-discussions-22/(photoshop)-signature-request-(read-before-requesting)/