Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Enh Shammy - Gems, Echant's and DPS

Yeah i did think that - there is actually nothing I can do about my Hit rating - its just gotten to 500+ on its own

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyRS6
    Yeah i did think that - there is actually nothing I can do about my Hit rating - its just gotten to 500+ on its own
    Yeah, as Levva said don't take the Enhancement shaman hit cap as a hard cap. Treat it as a soft cap, you still gain DPS from hit well past it.

I have another question - for my PVP set..... does this information also ring true? or do i need to gem that differently ?

Deleted

I have another question - for my PVP set..... does this information also ring true? or do i need to gem that differently ?
    Straight AP most likely, depends on your comb/bracket. In 3v3 I'm often a purge spambot, assisting with shocks and hex. You'll have times were you save your maelstrom for about 10 seconds to get a good Hex off, so gemming for haste isn't worth it. However I use a few PvE pieces in my PvP set, which are of course gemmed with haste. Shouldn't be a big deal as haste lowers your GCD, but still AP is better since your doggies will scale well with it and most damage will come from autoattacks / windfury.

For PvP you want 85-110 spell penetration (35 on back, and 2x or 3x 25spellpen gems) and the "PvP" hitcap is 164 for non draeneis, this caps your specials. But the 164 cap works the same as the PvE cap, more hit is still beneficial for extra white damage, so it's not a loss if you go above it. Also there are some racials/talents that require you to have more hit rating to counter them, so I use about 200 hit in my PvP set.

EDIT: Black Magic on your offhand can be nice instead of Berserking if you have a weapon that's roughly equivalent to your PvE offhand. It's personal preference really, test it out and decide what works best for you and your combo.

You need 75 spell pen, different amounts of hit (~2 pieces of hit jewelry should do it, wowwiki if you want to know the caps) and other than that AP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I pity people who have gotten so insensate to disrespect and abuse from repetition that they have elevated being jaded to a virtue.

Quote Originally Posted by Alchiadus
    Straight AP most likely, depends on your comb/bracket. In 3v3 I'm often a purge spambot, assisting with shocks and hex. You'll have times were you save your maelstrom for about 10 seconds to get a good Hex off, so gemming for haste isn't worth it. However I use a few PvE pieces in my PvP set, which are of course gemmed with haste. Shouldn't be a big deal as haste lowers your GCD, but still AP is better since your doggies will scale well with it and most damage will come from autoattacks / windfury.

For PvP you want 85-110 spell penetration (35 on back, and 2x or 3x 25spellpen gems) and the "PvP" hitcap is 164 for non draeneis, this caps your specials. But the 164 cap works the same as the PvE cap, more hit is still beneficial for extra white damage, so it's not a loss if you go above it. Also there are some racials/talents that require you to have more hit rating to counter them, so I use about 200 hit in my PvP set.

EDIT: Black Magic on your offhand can be nice instead of Berserking if you have a weapon that's roughly equivalent to your PvE offhand. It's personal preference really, test it out and decide what works best for you and your combo.
    thanks Alchiadus that is really very helpful Im gonna make those changed now.

Quote Originally Posted by Levva
    Other than some of the replies being just plain wrong I've yet to see anything that isn't answered in the FAQ.

Sticking to 342 hit is these days a BAD thing to do as you are then dramatically lowering your crit cap value. Having well over 420 hit (Draenei) is not a bad thing as long as you aren't gemming/enchanting to reach that figure. As it ups your melee crit cap.
    thanks. was hoping to see someone say that wjile i was going over this thread...

A lot of people here don't know what they're talking about, obviously.
    Anyway, get Cat's Swiftness on your boots.
    Your amount of hit rating is unavoidable atm, don't worry about it. Just look for trinket replacements.
    Don't ever enchant for expertise (I see you have it on both your bracers and gloves). A 44 AP enchant with a 20 expertise gem is more than a 15 expertise enchant with a 40 AP gem. Same with the bracers, a 50 AP enchant on those with another 20 expertise gem in gear is more than a 40 AP gem in gear with a 15 expertise enchant.
    Get the 75 AP 22 crit leg enchant, not the 55 stam one.
    The 400 AP on Lava Lash totem is better than the one you're using.
    As for the Haste gemming, I'm not sure if it's the best thing for you at your gear level. You should really sim it.
    You can drop the point in Elemental Focus in your spec considering you have 1/2 Imp SS and 1/1 Shamanistic Focus. Put it in Imp Shields.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...er&cn=Autonomy
    For future reference.

Thanks Autonomy, that is a massive help

Quote Originally Posted by Starkiller
    lolwhat 420 hit? are you high

As a ally shaman you only need 346 hit is fine up to around 620ish(go go finding hit cap with hit trinket for fun" so yeah
    /agree 420 is way over cap. but if your doing icc content getting over 400 hit is unavoidable.
    Still looking for a reason to come back...

I went for the Haste T10 totem first. yes/No?

I went for the Haste T10 totem first. yes/No?
    I took the courtesy of running your character through EnhSim. Using EJ bis gear thread rotation, which of course might not be optimal, but if someone really thinks it makes a big difference here go ahead and let me know.

With Totem of Electrifying Wind your dps was ~ 8302
    With Bizuri's Totem of Shattered Ice your dps was ~ 8400
    With Herkuml War Token (replacing Shard of the Crystal Heart) & Totem of Electrifying Wind your dps was ~ 8512

So in the end if you are counting your dps increase/emblem you didn't really do the right thing nor did you do the wrong thing. Both items have a great lasting value - you'll very likely be using them until Cata.

Thanks for doing that Butu, that's very interesting.

Something I wanted to ask about shockandawe. I am just using it it on its defaults. So it is giving me a rotation to use. Should I be configuring shockandawe further to suit my needs? I am really crap at stuff like this so would like some pointers on how to do it (If i need to)

Thanks to everyone so far, you have been really helpful

I am not completely sure what the default saa priority list is, but just open up rawr, click export to enhsim. Open enhsim and copy from clipboard.

Set up your priority list in there sim the dps a couple times. Then change it around and see what the numbers say

Thanks Steven

Quote Originally Posted by zchmch1
    /agree 420 is way over cap. but if your doing icc content getting over 400 hit is unavoidable.
    Again, not all of us have a 25 man raid with shadow priests and moonkins... There is absolutly nothing wrong with having hit the 420 hit cap mark. I get lucky and have a moonkin or spriest that swap out of our 10 man, if not I have a hit trinket that I am forced to use.

If you are hitting the crit cap(which is entirely possible), then more hit will raise your crit cap and will let you not waste stats. That being said, if you are under the crit cap, hit is still useful, as it increases the percentage of white hits that actually hit.

~341 hit rating is what you NEED as an Alliance shaman, to be at the spell hit cap. 420 is the cap without buffs from other classes, which is helpful if you don't have a perfect raid setup. The AP vs. Haste argument is impossible for someone to tell you outright which is better for you, it really is best to sim it to find out. Once you have 4pc t10, haste is nice because more MW procs = more 4pc t10 procs.