15+ Year Old Account

Heroic Strike - any use in pvp?

Hello, I'm currently leveling my warrior and I noticed that I literally never use HS - if I'm questing, rend+slam+overpower is usually enough to finish the mob off, and when I run battlegrounds I also see it as useless. Am I doing anything wrong by not using HS and in which pvp situations should I use it?
    Thanks in advance, sorry for a potentially noobish question.
    Natural Selection: Each time you say "Worgens" as a plural form of the word "Worgen", you have a 2/4/6% chance to be eaten by a grammar nazi.
    Tier 2 talent of the Grammar-specced "Player" class.

Re: Heroic Strike - any use in pvp?

I virtually never use HS. it's not worth it. you don't generate rage when you use it, and the damage increase is hardly worth it.

only time I would consider using it is if I somehow had 100 rage, which is unbelievably unlikely with all the stance-dancing you should be doing.
    http://files.me.com/sureshk/j0r7w6

If you're getting focused in def stance it's not terrible to hit if you're really high on rage - but it's just a little bit of damage. While it does more if the target is dazed (shield bash), the damage increase isn't that great considering you're using a 1H.

If you've got the rage, hit it, but otherwise it's not really worth bothering with.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
    I virtually never use HS. it's not worth it. you don't generate rage when you use it, and the damage increase is hardly worth it.

only time I would consider using it is if I somehow had 100 rage, which is unbelievably unlikely with all the stance-dancing you should be doing.
    Why the HELL would he stance dance? If he has heirlooms, then charge+rend+slam+overpower and the mob is already dead... Even if he doesn't, what is the use of berserker/defensive stance to an arms warrior?

Having 100 rage is NOT unbelievable unlikely, though it probably won't happen unless he pulls multiple mobs, at which point he should use cleave instead of HS. If your gear is really good for your level, you miiiight start to have too much rage. Personally, I never had enough rage to waste it on HS until the middle of Outlands levelling.

Quote Originally Posted by DomBomb1
    Why the HELL would he stance dance? If he has heirlooms, then charge+rend+slam+overpower and the mob is already dead... Even if he doesn't, what is the use of berserker/defensive stance to an arms warrior?

Having 100 rage is NOT unbelievable unlikely, though it probably won't happen unless he pulls multiple mobs, at which point he should use cleave instead of HS. If your gear is really good for your level, you miiiight start to have too much rage. Personally, I never had enough rage to waste it on HS until the middle of Outlands levelling.
    Topic: Heroic Strike - any use in pvp?
    - Dreams. What are dreams? Dreams are nothing, my brother.
    - Dreams are nothing, sister? Without dreams, there could be no despair.

10+ Year Old Account

well i dont know what lvl you are lvling at, but when i pvp i heroic strike alot.

In bg's if there is a big 8v8 fight going on say at the blacksmith, you should be at almost full rage because of the passive AoE going around, which gives plenty of rage.
    In Arena if there is a feral druid or rouge sitting on you, heroic strike it, you will have very high rage.

If your in a battle where your not getting attacked hardly at all, i would probably not use it unless i got some crits with my auto attacks and had a lot of rage.

YES HEROIC STRIKE IS INSANELY USEFUL IN PVP.

Sorry for yelling, but anyway that is a warriors strongest way to switch targets, is with a charge -> HS/MS (same time) -> overpower (assuming you had it ready).

Example was on a priest/rogue team I played the other day. Had 100 rage, overpower ready, charged priest, MS crit for 3900, HS crit for 4100, overpower crit for 3600, (obviously I was lucky with my crits ;D). Anyway it made him pain supp and 15 seconds later caught a 75% MS bladestorm to the face = gg.

Heroic strike crits as big as MS if not harder because of the Impale talent considering it a special ability. If you are getting focused, especially by another melee, I HS spam the whole time as long as you have rage. Trust me you will see shit die alot faster if you use HS properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    I like how when people complain about getting killed by kill shot which can have a 43 yard range, no resource cost, and can be used again if it doesn't kill and everyone says WELL, HEY, YOU KNOW, IT IS CALLED KILL SHOT
    but when a warrior does it, clearly the ability's name is "useless wet noodle piece of shit strike with an exorbitant rage cost that should do the same damage as MS"

heroic strike is situational

if you have enough rage? HS to get some extra dmg
    if you dont have enough rage? dont HS

easy.
    There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want

Remember, HS overrides a white hit for a marginal increase in damage at the expense of rage. If you want to use it, use it. I almost never do in PvP.
    Definition of useless -

Q. Any plans for an untalented spell to help warlocks deal with stuns?
    A. Possibly. It’s also possible we may take a look at stuns in general. But overall stuns will feel less impacting in an environment where players have significantly more health than they do today.

I spam it when I get FFed in 3's by a melee... Shield block, SW, Revenge+ HS spam-> Profit

Quote Originally Posted by Powell
    heroic strike is situational

if you have enough rage? HS to get some extra dmg
    if you dont have enough rage? dont HS

easy.
    What this guy said pretty much sums it up. If you can spare the rage you might as well, but given a choice between Hamstring/PH and HS Id choose the snare.

Not to mention, shield bash now dazes a target. So, HS trumps most moves now if used after an interrupt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xheoul View Post
    Send that bitch a smiley face...Bitches loooove smilie faces.

HS also works well with Piercing Howl. HS is great extra damage if your healer poops mana (like my old 2s paladin partner) and the other team is stupid enough to feed you rage.

If you are generating lots of rage there's no reason not to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by dingobongo
    If you are generating lots of rage there's no reason not to use it.
    If there are more targets you can use cleave instead :P

Personally I just got on my backbone to dump rage whenever I'm at 80+ rage... HS if 1 target, cleave if 2+. (unless ofc there a cc you don't want to break.)

Cleave ohoy!

Demog - Level 80 Orc Warrior @ Twisting Nether-EU
    Demoq - Level 80 Blood Elf Priest @ Twisting Nether-EU
    Demok - Level 80 Undead Rogue @ Twisting Nether-EU
    Demot - Level 80 Troll Mage @ Twisting Nether-EU
    Gnommez - Level 80 Gnome Death Knight @ Terokkar-EU

on my warrior i find HC strike useful if a lot in pve at higher levels you often have extra rage and you want to throw some away, or if u lose aggro of some mob this+revenge/shieldslam/devestate will do some pretty decent threat in 1GCD since HC strike doesn't use up the GCD.
    in pvp i use it if I have excess rage, it can also be very useful to finish off a foe.. if u could kill him with this execute+HCstrike.