Shaman tanking, they only need a threat buff!

I like the idea of shaman tanks, but I neither need nor want shamans to have any more mitigation than they have now. I agree as do most people that shamans aren't meant to main tank raids. EVER. But just the same, additional threat and a taunt can add versatility for a non-tanking shaman who is willing to be more for their raid group than just some numbers floating above the enemies' heads.

This goes into something else that has been bugging me for a long time. Blizzard keeps shaving down classes into specific categories. Now it's to the point that you fit so tightly into your niche, it's almost impossible to be flexible without exiting combat to swap your gear and spec. Not following me? Back in Vanilla, completing a raid required the participation of all group members, and each class was expected to use their unique abilities to support the group. I didn't play in Vanilla, but in BC this was still often the case. Priests would mind control enemies that hit too hard for a tank to survive them, warlocks could summon a doomguard; and both of these could gain extra threat and kite enemies briefly with their slowing movement abilities. Mages can (and still can) spellsteal powerful buffs to swing the tide of battle or go invisible for a tactical approach. If a rogue manages to keep high enough threat, they can tank briefly if the tank dies. Boomkins can kite/cc some, kitties can go bear (and I don't want any complaints about it!!!), shamans clearly have very good mitigation for a dps (arguably the best), hunters can literally kite-tank a boss if they were able to hold the threat - not to mention all their other abilities they can use (oh I hate plain hunters so much!!); warriors, death knights, and paladins all wear plate and have tanking abilities along with other cool abilities that can save a group from a wipe whether or not they are the main tank. Healers can heal themselves if they nab threat, though it only works okay on a paladin. Holy paladins have the best mitigation of a non-tank, and it's not up for debate. I played an 80 holy paladin back in the days of Naxx, and used that freebie taunt we got to taunt Gluth off of the tank because the other tank had a brief malfunction. In 2 seconds I was able to make the difference between a wipe and a gear run. THAT is what I'm talking about.

But aside from all that, give a shaman a taunt and an increase threat spell/glyph/talent/whatever and I'm happy. I'll make a shaman for the sake of tanking, won't do well but it'll be fun challenging the game design. I bet I can do fine in 5-player instances as long as I'm over the level a tad. Won't even need to be over-twinked I'm gonna bet.

Re: Shaman tanking, they only need a threat buff!

Please read the rules and check out the other FAQs. There is already a large sticky on this topic and any future conversation of it should be placed there.