Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Prot Paladin t10 4pc

It's been said multiple times here but people seem to not quite read it:

The set bonus is situational.

Sindragosa? Won't help that much against the magic damage.

Blood Queen MT? Hell yeah! Save the healers some tank damage is always nice. Blood Queen OT? Can't dodge that damage, better get offsets.

Saurfang? You bet! Even if you're not saving the marked damage you're still reducing incoming damage, always a plus.

Festergut 3stacks? Yes please! Lady Deathwhisper? Ehh, not so much.

Given a couple months we'll all have the frost emblems we could ever want, leaving us to snag all the offsets and tier pieces. Swap gear as needed; every fight isn't Patchwerk.
    I stream many games! WoW, SC2, TF2, old SNES games and mods, and many more! Find my stream here! I also upload many of my stream VODs and many offline recordings (usually of SC2 casts) to my YouTube, found here!. Follow, subscribe, and thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Erasure
    I may be missing the point here though.

12% dodge is nothing to sneeze at, but i usually have divine plea running from pull to finish for the 3% damage reduction.

So seems kinda pointless to me.

I'll personally be going 2p t10, and whatever for the rest.
    Err you can click DP every 1 minute to gain that dodge bonus cant ya?

Quote Originally Posted by Iselian
    Blood Queen MT? Hell yeah! Save the healers some tank damage is always nice. Blood Queen OT? Can't dodge that damage, better get offsets.
    In the majority of situations you aren't saving your healers anything. The activation of the bonus is worth about 1 avoided attack each activation. Good healers aren't reactive, they aren't going to wait and see if you avoid each hit before they cast a heal. Unless you change your damage intake pattern by increasing mitigation over a period the healer won't be slowing his casting rate. Whether a heal lands as healing or over healing is immaterial.

Changes that matter to healers are not spiky "did you avoid 1 hit or didn't you avoid 1 hit" situations but rather "he's taking 12% less consistent damage over the next 12 seconds, i can slow my casting rate by 12%". The DK set bonus is much more powerful.

Blood Queen is also a really bad example. You will be beaconed by a pally and he will just be spamming the OT/raid, its very likely he is casting heals to keep the OT/raid up and his beacon is doing more than enough to keep you alive without him specifically thinking about you much at all.

it's off the DR.
    It's not bad, and what you lose by using tier pieces instead of off sets is either on the legs or the gloves.
    Assuming you have 264.
    12% dodge for 1min is sure worth it for losing 50 parry on the gloves.
    Chest you should be using it, if you're stacking expertise this way, you're doing it wrong.
    Helm/Spaulders are probably BiS, too.
    Also, the bonus is hell yes rng dependant, but it's DR-IMMUNE AVOIDANCE. don't undervalue that, ever: it's op. If you're standing at 50% avoidance (ok, an unreality in icc, but still) it's 24% less damage taken, not 12%. Also, sometimes being RNG dependant is not bad. There are many cases of 12% Damage Reduction cd not saving you, but 24% relative avoidance gives you a quite high to avoid a killing streak of 2-3-4 hits by avoiding one. It isn't garaunteed, tanks don't like it, but 12% cds don't save many tank deaths, either.
    Don't undervalue stacking avoidance. There's a reason it was the way in sunwell. Also, ardent defender gives us some synergy: if the avoidance save works, saved. Else, there's AD, and hopefully, on the next Soul Reaper, avoidance will save you.

Quote Originally Posted by Aureon
    Also, the bonus is hell yes rng dependant, but it's DR-IMMUNE AVOIDANCE. don't undervalue that, ever: it's op. If you're standing at 50% avoidance (ok, an unreality in icc, but still) it's 24% less damage taken, not 12%. Also, sometimes being RNG dependant is not bad. There are many cases of 12% Damage Reduction cd not saving you, but 24% relative avoidance gives you a quite high to avoid a killing streak of 2-3-4 hits by avoiding one
    You can make up all the high % values to describe the situation you want, its worth roughly 1 avoided attack per activation. Your current level of avoidance has no influence on this, only the bosses attack speed matters.

It absolutely does not give you a "high chance to avoid a hit string", you already have a high chance to avoid a hit string.

With 50% avoidance your chance of getting hit 4 times in a row is 6.25%
    With 62% avoidance your chance of getting hit 4 times in a row is 2.09%

Sure you can say omg its 3 times lower but both values are already low, and since the hit string has only a 6.25% chance of occurring anyway, the chance of you using the bonus at the right time to break up a hit string is very, very small.

what i want to know is why did you wait til the end to get the helm as the 4th piece? the helm is prob the one piece that is worth the most to get in all the set.

I have helm and shoulder and that's all im getting for set pieces.

Chest and Gloves have extra armor, and thats the stat i'm looking to stack right now. Personally, i have my 4set, but much like every other tier of tanking, you have to swap gear around for different fights. I know, its something completely new and exciting!... oh wait.

Since I started tanking in BC it has been this way. Not every fight is going to be an avoidance fight. The 4set is completely useless if you're the tank on Rotface adds, ect. The point is, you have to swap gear in and out for almost every difficult fight in icecrown. This is nothing new, and swapping out different gear will continue to take place.

There are 3 tanks in 1 25man raid. Therefore, you should be able to get 2 pieces of offset gear for when the 12% avoidance is useless.
    It's okay, I'm just more evolved than the rest of you.