1. #1

    years later... AoC

    So is age of conan still the dank filled abyssal pos when it came out, or has it really improved as some claim?
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

  2. #2

    Re: years later... AoC

    Quote Originally Posted by Scigodomega
    So is age of conan still the dank filled abyssal pos when it came out, or has it really improved as some claim?
    Last time I played it was back in November when they had the free 2 week "re-evaulation" period.

    If your looking for another MMO - AoC is definetly not the way to go, it could have been great but they dropped the ball at launch and have a very small player base. The game gets very boring once you hit 80 and there isn't a very dedicated playerbase.

    However - its only 10 dollars, so it might be fun to try out and level up for a while, definetly a different experience than WoW. Its very sad that the game failed.

    Right now, WoW is the best MMO by far - has the most replay value, the largest and most dedicated playerbase. If you are bored with WoW - try re rolling the opposite faction and starting from scratch or playing a non-MMO for a week or so. Thats what I do when I get sick of WoW.

    AoC failing was very sad, I've been infatuated with Hyboria since I saw Conan the Barbarian and watched Conan the Adventurer as a kid. I also read some of the books before AoC launched - such a great universe gone to waste.

  3. #3

    Re: years later... AoC

    MMO's need to realize that if they want to compete with WoW, they need to have a complete and satisfying product. Blizzard makes sure of this by delaying its game and testing it throughly, where other company's will rush to meet the ship date.

  4. #4
    Immortal seam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    7,018

    Re: years later... AoC

    Quote Originally Posted by Daginni
    MMO's need to realize that if they want to compete with WoW, they need to have a complete and satisfying product.
    This. AoC wasn't even done when it was shipped.

    And, being stuck in a hole and needing to wait 3 weeks for a Gm response, man was that fun.

  5. #5

    Re: years later... AoC

    Promised features that were supposed to be shipped with the game at release didn't see the light of day until they did the great "overhaul" of the game.

    I had a period when I was trying out a couple of MMOs: Conan and WAR were two of them. I got tired of both and I have no desire to return. I think even though Conan have lost a lot the overhaul they did have greatly benefited the game, although some migh argue it's already too late.

  6. #6

    Re: years later... AoC

    avoid it like a plague !
    thats all.still they havent fixed a thing.
    Mal'Ganis is DEAD!Deal with it!

  7. #7

    Re: years later... AoC

    Quote Originally Posted by levitate
    Promised features that were supposed to be shipped with the game at release didn't see the light of day until they did the great "overhaul" of the game.

    I had a period when I was trying out a couple of MMOs: Conan and WAR were two of them. I got tired of both and I have no desire to return. I think even though Conan have lost a lot the overhaul they did have greatly benefited the game, although some migh argue it's already too late.
    Can someone tell me more about this great overhaul they did?

  8. #8

    Re: years later... AoC

    Quote Originally Posted by vlads
    Can someone tell me more about this great overhaul they did?
    well when the game first came out it was majorly front loaded. Meaning the beginning had tons of stuff but after that none. People used to refer to AoC as age of tortage, since once you left tortage there was little to do.


    They added tons more content, dungeons, etc. They redid the stats system to make it easier to understand. They added more PVP stuff...

    theres way too much stuff to list here, if you go to the AOC site and click whats new since launch it gives a good outline
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

  9. #9

    Re: years later... AoC

    Quote Originally Posted by Scigodomega
    well when the game first came out it was majorly front loaded. Meaning the beginning had tons of stuff but after that none. People used to refer to AoC as age of tortage, since once you left tortage there was little to do.


    They added tons more content, dungeons, etc. They redid the stats system to make it easier to understand. They added more PVP stuff...

    theres way too much stuff to list here, if you go to the AOC site and click whats new since launch it gives a good outline
    Arh thanks for that man. But did it really help? I mean is all that content any good?

  10. #10
    Dreadlord Styria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Waukesha, Wisconsin
    Posts
    895

    Re: years later... AoC

    Quote Originally Posted by Scigodomega
    So is age of conan still the dank filled abyssal pos when it came out, or has it really improved as some claim?
    It has improved from what i see. Theres bugs here or there, but nothing WoW doesnt have, such as a mob randomly resetting mid combat.
    Leaving for Marine Corps Boot Camp May 9th, 2011. See you all in Firelands!

  11. #11

    Re: years later... AoC

    My brother plays it pretty avidly, although I can't see why. Compared to WoW it's pretty glitchy, and the playerbase isn't nearly as great as WoW's. AoC isn't a bad game, it's just not living up to all the hype.
    Strikke 80 Holy Paladin/Darkspear US

  12. #12

    Re: years later... AoC

    But did it really help? I mean is all that content any good?
    From what I could gather it helped the game a lot. It sorted out some big problems the game had been plagued with and prepared for the expansion that is due later this year.

    Having a potentially amazing game is worth nothing if you don't have a playerbase that can support it though, and shaping up the trainwreck the game was at launch will take loads more time. In the meantime other games are released and people move on.

  13. #13

    Re: years later... AoC

    Quote Originally Posted by levitate
    From what I could gather it helped the game a lot. It sorted out some big problems the game had been plagued with and prepared for the expansion that is due later this year.

    Having a potentially amazing game is worth nothing if you don't have a playerbase that can support it though, and shaping up the trainwreck the game was at launch will take loads more time. In the meantime other games are released and people move on.
    Indeed. Personally i recently resubbed to Champions Online to see what they did with that game, and i am really enjoying it again

  14. #14

    Re: years later... AoC

    Quote Originally Posted by vlads
    i recently resubbed to Champions Online to see what they did with that game, and i am really enjoying it again
    Hmm, I bought the game when it was released but didn't play it much. You think it's worth a resub then?

  15. #15
    BOOMkin Qieth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: years later... AoC

    I recently got the "Preorder our expansion now!". It made me laugh. Its one thing to have a few bugs at release, but not having any content for mid-end game on release was so much of a fail. Now im looking at a game that I paid for when it wasn't fully developed, and years ahead it is at it should have been years ago. Problem is, i fear that they are too far behind, and I feel no motivation to give it a second chance.
    ~ Armory - Youtube ~
    No longer the King of Moonkins, but perhaps the Prince of Shamans?

  16. #16
    The Hedgehog Elementium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    MA, USA.
    Posts
    12,765

    Re: years later... AoC

    Also.. Blizz is revamping WoW.. I see many more people forgiving WotLk and coming back once Cataclysm is out. Blizz has basically said things won't be as easy as they are now.

    Plus.. AoC always had weak marketing. first of all.. Conan? is he still popular? and second.. their big thing was "this is an M rated MMO!". meh.

  17. #17

    Re: years later... AoC

    Quote Originally Posted by levitate
    Hmm, I bought the game when it was released but didn't play it much. You think it's worth a resub then?
    Personally i would say yes. I would promote the shit out of that game, just to show my support. I mean there's still alot of problems with it. Your best bet would be to go on the forums and get a general idea of what's going on. But i, myself really like it. It's rekindled my late-night MMO sessions of which i haven't had many in WoW. Most of them were back when i played city of heroes

  18. #18

    Re: years later... AoC

    Quote Originally Posted by Elementium
    Also.. Blizz is revamping WoW.. I see many more people forgiving WotLk and coming back once Cataclysm is out. Blizz has basically said things won't be as easy as they are now.

    Plus.. AoC always had weak marketing. first of all.. Conan? is he still popular? and second.. their big thing was "this is an M rated MMO!". meh.
    People did that with pre tbc, same with wotlk, and same will be with cataclysm.
    Blizz does it's stuff right.

    Author of: Goggle Cat Comics.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •