Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

03/04 In-Game Fixes, Blue posts

Recent In-Game Fixes - March 2010 - 3/4
    Some of these changes have been around for a while apparently, during the latest PTR update I saw Blood Nova getting a 16 sec cooldown and the duration of Emerald Vigor was increased from 35 to 40 seconds. Instability's duration has been reduced from 8 to 5 seconds.
    Originally Posted by Bornakk (Blue Tracker)
    Listed below are recent fixes we have applied to the game. Keep in mind that some of these changes may not be active until after the realm has been restarted.

To review previous in-game fixes, please visit:

3/4
    • In the Lord Marrowgar encounters, the boss will no longer reset threat after a bone storm and will now wait a small amount of time before attacking at the end of a bone storm.
    • In the Deathbringer Saurfang encounters, the boss is now less likely to cast Blood Nova on targets affected by Mark of the Fallen Champion.
    • In both normal and heroic versions of the 10 player Rotface encounter, the mutated infection ability will not be cast as quickly while the fight progresses.
    • In the 10- and 25-player heroic Festergut encounters, the malleable goo ability should no longer target pets.
    • In the Valithria Dreamwalker encounters, the duration of Emerald Vigor and Twisted Nightmares were slightly increased.
    • In the Sindragosa encounters, the duration of the instability debuff was slightly reduced.
    Blue posts
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Tank Threat Generation
    I'm talking philosophy here, because I assume that's usually more interesting to a wider audience. Philosophically, tank threat generation is working correctly (i.e. as we intend) with perhaps 4-5 exceptions that we would like to fix:

1) Paladins can do a little too much AE tanking "splash" damage, often without even setting out to do so.
    2) Tricks and MD take too much of a burden off of the tank / hide issue #3.
    3) Damage and therefore threat generation aren't scaling well at very high levels of gear. <-- this is the big one.
    4) There is too much incentive to AE every pull, which puts a burden on the tank to AE tank every pull.
    5) You could probably add that bears need a button to hit besides Swipe. (Source)

Overgearing instances
    Yeah, overgearing the content is fine. Being able to zerg an instance is one of the fun parts of overgearing. We're not worried about that. But on content at appropriate level, it wouldn't be so bad if *some* of the pulls required more crowd control and single-target damage. (Source)

Warrior (Forums / Talent Calculator)
    Warriors AE Threat
    I don't think warriors need more sustained AE threat. You have Incite + Deep Wounds for Thunderclap and also Shockwave. Maintaining threat is supposed to take some effort. I don't think tanking would be any more fun if you hit Tclap and never had to hit a button again.

The actual problem, in our minds, is threat scaling. Warriors (and all tanks) could AE tank just fine in Naxxramas.* It only became a problem over time when the dps of the dps classes grew so much more quickly than the tanks, largely because the dps classes have so many dps stats on their gear while plate tanks have Strength. Tank damage was pretty close to 50% of dps damage in the first tier of content, which was our goal, but has slipped to 25 to 30% of dps (your mileage may vary) in Icecrown.

We need a system that keeps tank damage scaling at the same rate as dps damage. However, that system can't be dependent on gear stats (unless you're willing to see tank gear go away) and can't be as ridiculous as deep talents that say "You get 5 AP per point of Strength."

I think you just notice threat issues more on AE pulls because things like Tricks and Misdirect mask any problems on single target pulls. Separate problem.

And yes Paladin tank AE damage and threat generation is still too high, largely because of Seals and HoR, but long-term we're going to nerf that instead of making all tanks able to trivially maintain threat in all situations. Referencing the other thread on threat a little, why as a tank would you even care what buttons you push if maintaining threat is a foregone conclusion?

* - AE tanking was fine in Naxxramas. AE damage was, and has remained, over the top. We prefer a model where the risk of tanking too many mobs is that the tank dies, not that you can't maintain threat on them all (within reasonable limits of course). We also prefer a model where the dps do AE damage on some pulls and switch to single target dps on others. (Source)
    Low FPS - NVIDIA 196.75 drivers
    Originally Posted by Datth (Blue Tracker)
    We're getting reports where users are getting intermittent low FPS after installing these drivers. It seems that it is related to the fan control included in these drivers not working correctly and is causing the video card to overheat on 3D applications. This will affect Warcraft 3, World of Warcraft and StarCraft 2 Beta. Please uninstall the drivers and revert back to the older ones.

Windows XP: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_196.21_whql.html
    Windows XP 64-bit: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp64_196.21_whql.html
    Windows Vista/7 32-bit: http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_wi...6.21_whql.html
    Windows Vista/7 64-bit: http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_wi...6.21_whql.html

More information can be found on threads such as these:
    http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=161525
    http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=161503

10+ Year Old Account

Re: 03/04 In-Game Fixes,

first.

[User was previously banned: Permanent ban]
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Trolling will result in the loss of your forum posting privileges, and the removal of your genitals with my teeth while I hum Oasis songs.

Deleted

hmm so many changes in such a short time!

So, I thought the 10man Rotface encounter was not working correctly to begin with. Is this a nerf, or are they just finally getting around to fixing it?

We noticed some of these changes tonight. These along with the 5% buff has nerfed the first couple wings pretty hard.

Re: 03/04 In-Game Fixes, Blue posts

Nerfing some things that don't need to be nerfed, but not nerfing what does need to be nerfed... Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Shieldless
    Nerfing some things that don't need to be nerfed, but not nerfing what does need to be nerfed... Meh.
    This. Wtb some nerfs to lich king!

Nerf something else for gods sake :/

Quote Originally Posted by Valanna
    first.
    Have a nice vacation!

Also, I'm surprised they waited this long to nerf content. Usually they do it within the month of release.

• In the 10- and 25-player heroic Festergut encounters, the malleable goo ability should no longer target pets.
    Festergut buff!

MOAR NERFZ PLX

ICC IZ TOO HARD
    "Remember to take ALL things in moderation.. Even World of Warcraft" :]

Quote Originally Posted by Shieldless
    I think the global nerf aka +5% to +30% buff is already more than enough.

I don't think warriors need more sustained AE threat. You have Incite + Deep Wounds for Thunderclap and also Shockwave. Maintaining threat is supposed to take some effort. I don't think tanking would be any more fun if you hit Tclap and never had to hit a button again.
    well you should either lower the paladins ae threat or increase the warriors ae threat cause as it is atm when im tanking in icc on my warr and the other tank is a paladin and we have fairly the same gear, no matter what i do, i cant reach up to the same ammount of threat the paladin throws out, im hammering my buttons but still im miles away in threat like third on the list and its bin like this for a long time, no matter what i do i cant throw out the same ammount of threat to keep up, and iv bin tanking long before horde even go these bubbleclasses so i know what im doing, and still u say the warriors threat is as it should be?? even the dk's is passing us in threat output

Quote Originally Posted by Zardi

Festergut buff!
    HEROIC Festergut.. Putricide throws malleable goo at you on heroic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tygor
    We noticed some of these changes tonight. These along with the 5% buff has nerfed the first couple wings pretty hard.
    then dont use the buff then if you feels its to easy? you do know that you can disable it?

Deleted

it wouldn't be so bad if *some* of the pulls required more crowd control and single-target damage.
    :O blizzard starts to realise things

Quote Originally Posted by lanceb
    well you should either lower the paladins ae threat or increase the warriors ae threat cause as it is atm when im tanking in icc on my warr and the other tank is a paladin and we have fairly the same gear
    Oh really? A Paladin is doing more AoE threat than a Warrior on a batch of Undead mobs?

Paladin AoE threat is built-up over the duration of Consecration outside of Icecrown, so Warriors are a lot better at burst threat for such situations as the whelps on Onyxia. Holy Wrath is the Paladin burst threat, but it only works on Undead.

The change to Marrowgar is rather sad, to be honest. I thought they made him taunt-able because of the threat-reset. Now, I haven't done him on heroic mode, but I guess that this change is because a person with DoTs on the boss could be the unlucky target of the last spin and get smacked immediately after it ended.

Deathbringer Saurfang fix is awesome, RNG is a bitch. Rotface nerf is rather sad, but I suppose it's needed for newer guilds(though the buff should help with that), but I guess it's less cleansing I need to do... oh, and once again, could have something to do with the heroic mode.

Quote Originally Posted by lanceb
    well you should either lower the paladins ae threat or increase the warriors ae threat cause as it is atm when im tanking in icc on my warr and the other tank is a paladin and we have fairly the same gear, no matter what i do, i cant reach up to the same ammount of threat the paladin throws out, im hammering my buttons but still im miles away in threat like third on the list and its bin like this for a long time, no matter what i do i cant throw out the same ammount of threat to keep up, and iv bin tanking long before horde even go these bubbleclasses so i know what im doing, and still u say the warriors threat is as it should be?? even the dk's is passing us in threat output
    ...did you somehow not read the part right above the warrior info that clearly says Pally AE is too strong even when they don't try to be?

duuurh! >_<
    H E R O E S

\ "When I was a kid ... I used to wish some stranger would come and tell me my family wasn't really my family. They weren't bad people, they were just ... insignificant. And I wanted to be different. Special. I wanted to change. A new name, a new life. The watchmaker's son ... became a watchmaker. It is so futile. And I wanted to be ... important." \
    Sylar

Ehm ... fail about the nvidia driver note?

Working much beter then previous drivers with WOW .. sharper and more fps.
    EverQuest (2000-2002)
    Lineage 2 (2004-2007)
    World of Warcraft (2005-Present)
    Age of Conan (2008-2009)
    AION (2009 - 3m)