Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Re: My ideas to fix mages...

Quote Originally Posted by Triston
    Bug fixes are one thing. Calling for buffs and overhauls is another. If this was a thread saying "fix mage bugs" I could see it, but crying over a class that has no DPS problems is just silly.
    Well the op hasnt accually asked for buffs - for fixes. Blizzard self said that TTW should be fixed.
    And its not like fire has that good dps that it would be insulting to ask for buffs.
    video game companies: *makes game with female/LGBT characters*

dudebros: wHAT HTe fUCK IS THSI SOCIAL ,.JUSITICE SHI.,,T,,...,.I canNOT,, BELEIVVB nnOT BYINHG...,

Quote Originally Posted by romeolock
    wow is this really a complaint? i want coe to be cast everytime i use inc ok? or how about evertime i use chaos bolt a free corruption is placed on the target? sound good? or how about the idea that as a destruction warlock our SoC is the best aoe? you wanna waste blizz time then go ahead i hope they do "fix" u guys im so sick of mages whining that they have to switch targets, be a destro lock and complain or even affliction. Mages have the best ramp up time in the game besides op hunters but i bet thas getting changed to(cast while running constantly is op, wait til u get off mana and go to energy or w/e then im cool with it). But anyways the more you whine the more the nerf bat will get swung your way keep screwing with blizz and see where it takes you.
    Right, and all the QQ'ing warlocks got blessed with a nerf? ok...

And where in my post did I QQ about anythng.... There was no QQ, it was just facts pointed out and defense of us being called lazy.

I for one don't think changing targets is that much of an issue, I usually stack 4xAB then switch and unload an MbarrAM on adds, like saurfang, i love that fight.

Quote Originally Posted by romeolock
    wow is this really a complaint? i want coe to be cast everytime i use inc ok? or how about evertime i use chaos bolt a free corruption is placed on the target? sound good? or how about the idea that as a destruction warlock our SoC is the best aoe? you wanna waste blizz time then go ahead i hope they do "fix" u guys im so sick of mages whining that they have to switch targets, be a destro lock and complain or even affliction. Mages have the best ramp up time in the game besides op hunters but i bet thas getting changed to(cast while running constantly is op, wait til u get off mana and go to energy or w/e then im cool with it). But anyways the more you whine the more the nerf bat will get swung your way keep screwing with blizz and see where it takes you.
    You mean like when the added siphon life to be built into corruption instead of having to cast it separately, and added http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=47205 ? Oh yeah they gave you one talent point that allows all your dots to crit, while mages need to use a glyph.

Quote Originally Posted by Pequeña
    mages dont need fixes... they need nerfs. They have been fucking buffed every damn patch while others have been nerfed into oblivion.
    I support this young one

Deleted

sssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhh

Delete thread quick. We've lasted this long without Blizzard noticing how cool we are, as soon as we get their attention, we're eff you sea kayed......

How are mages broken... IN ANYWAY?
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Mannoroth&cn=Chimaria

People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Töasty
    I know all classes bring something to the table as far as buffs/debuffs. Alot of them come in the form of auras, castable buffs. And some are applied debuffs. I understand that. And the 13% spell damage debuff that moonkin/warlock/unholy bring is somewhat comparable to the way sunder/expose armor debuff works for melee classes. But torment the weak is a unique mechanic only to mages. Again, show me another class that does 12% less damage without a debuff.
    In case you didn't know (and for the posters in this thread that don't), if the mob your hitting is being tanked, TtW is up. It's not just slows, it's snares as well, which includes icy touch for DKs, thunderclap for warriors, and then whatever it is that druids and paladins do :P

But yeah literally the only time you're not getting the benefit from this in PvE is if your tank is dead. Or rather if all the melee is dead I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Momome
    In case you didn't know (and for the posters in this thread that don't), if the mob your hitting is being tanked, TtW is up.
    Have you done the Valithria Dreamwalker fight? I am talking about untanked adds. The only adds that get tanked are the aboms, at least the zombies get TTW when they are kited. And during phase 1 of Lady Deathwhisper she is not tanked, so it's up to someone else to put the snare/slow on.

Quote Originally Posted by Scifix
    I support this young one
    instead of talking nonsense, go and check the patch note from the beginning of wotlk....

mage got nerfed, and mage got buffed as any other class...
    The Brave Do Not Fear The Grave

Mages don't need fixing imo.
    <;~~~~{] -____- )|:-~=(}

1)Make focus magic a trainable spell for all mages.
    Stopped reading after this.

Why?

1. Mages dont need to be fixed (but still my curiousity was piqued, perhaps I was missing the obvious)
    2. 3% crit is not the difference between a "balanced" and "nerfed" class

Quote Originally Posted by Triston
    It's a free forum. Mages do great damage and are on par with everyone else while having an easy rotation. What fixes do you need?
    I would like a harder rotation. And a nerf to TtW. Move that damage increase somewhere else.
    |----------------------------ART----------------------------|

So much fail and troll response in this thread... seriously hoping for a mod to come down with a banhammer on half the people here....

OP makes suggestions. Some are ok, some are not. Queue 15 responses "mage QQ nerf quick plx"........

As far as i am concerned, here is the main point of this thread (apart from the rabid degeneration into name calling and immature behaviour....):

1) Mages rely on other classes to provide +26% damage (13%TTW, 13% spell damage) - there is no doubt TTW is nearly always up ; however the spell damage is another matter.

There are only 3 specs (not just classes, but specs) that provide this - Unholy DK (not a single one in my guild, grouped with 2 since dungeon finder tool released) ; Boomkin (one in guild, occasionaly group with them. However [and hands up i am ignorant on this spec - my guildy may just be bad] it was never up on trash, and often dropped off on the boss) ; Warlocks [again, ignorant on this class] all the locks in my guild (both of them.....) dont cast it unless i butter them up and give them FM. But at least it will be up 100% of the time pretty much from what i see.

Of course other classes require buffing from different classes. However right now i cant think of an example where it is so limiting - for instance a melee class gets +AP +crit and +damage from multiple sources and each is less impactful, so if one is missing its less of an issue.

Now i'm not denying that mages can easily top dps meters (although i did lol so hard at the person moaning about ToC - perhaps you should learn the fights first? Pop quiz.... why am i always top dps on twins and jaraxxus????) but at the same time without 2 key buffs (ok... 1 key buff, TTW is always up) my personal dps can drop from 9K to 6K.

To give concrete examples (and discounting RNG impact), in VoA25, my dps has ranged from 6K (no buffs, not even a shamen for hero) to 12K (fully buffed, CD's all aligned with hero + wild magic potion). Compared to my ret pala friend, who does 7.5K constantly, no matter what.

Does mage need buffs? Of course not, and NO ONE WAS ASKING FOR IT! Do mages need nerfs? Well... a massive one is incoming to IA, although as i never had a pocket disc priest i got less benefit in ICC from it.

I'm going back to work... now you kids are back home from school and mummy has let you on the computer you can flame away......

*edit - to respond to OP:

1) no. this would just be a baseline 3% crit increase. Its perfect as a low-mid level talent.
    2) meh - i disagree strongly with mangle buff anyway and it adds a little bit of complexity to the fire rotation that arcane misses
    3) As alluded to above, i'd rather see mages (and other classes in the same boat) have 4-5 different buffs from different classes that all impact a little, rather than 2 huge buffs that will impact performance if they are missing. I do agree that it would be good if fire could also spec into precision and icy veins - would make it a valid spec at low gear levels before you are overrun with hit.

85 pala (tank1); 85 DK (tank2; 85 priest (unused), 85Drood (heals); 85 lock (dps); 85 warrior (Tank3) 85 hunter ;83 Shammy (Ele/Resto);65 rogue

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenFlames
    Yea because ferals dont have mangle
    Because mages dont have slow

Seriously, your point is nil. Cat druids takes a dps loss to cast mangle so their other spells do more damage. That a mage need to cast Slow is the equivalent.

Except a Cat druid without mangle lose 30%, we lose 12% only.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut5
    I don't want to call Boubouille and wake her up for something like this.

Have you done the Valithria Dreamwalker fight? I am talking about untanked adds. The only adds that get tanked are the aboms, at least the zombies get TTW when they are kited. And during phase 1 of Lady Deathwhisper she is not tanked, so it's up to someone else to put the snare/slow on.
    OK but these aren't exactly monstrously difficult fights, are they? :P The point is for the vast majority of encounters, it doesn't limit you at all to need other classes to buff you. If you have an unholy DK in your raid you get them both as part of their normal dps rotation, on every single mob. Honestly it's my experience (before either of the DKs in my guild went unholy) that lacking CoE was the issue, not lacking TtW requirements.

Don't forget, by the way, that every other caster dps in the game requires the 13% magic damage buff to perform properly, this isn't just a mage issue. If you really don't have an unholy DK, boomkin OR a warlock that's just shitty luck I guess, but honestly you can't expect Blizzard to balance around every conceivable odd raid makeup.

TL;DR

Mages aren't broken. Gtfo?

1)focus magic is just a "it would be nice to have for all specs" idea, not that important, but if TTW is totally removed, I would think that fire spec would invest 11 points into frost for icy veins, which means fire spec would not longer have access to focus magic, not a big deal.

2)scorch debuff, it's not a big deal, just in comparison to CoE, FF, Mangle, 30 seconds is a little on the low side, again, not that big of a deal.

3)Removing TTW would be a nerf, to make up for the nerf I suggested a couple of things to recoup the loss, aside from the easy fix of just making everything do 12% more damage.

I figured that glyph of arcane missiles change to damage would be better then it's current 25% more critical strike damage since arcane is only 150% for crits.

Buffing hot streak/pyroblast in the way I suggested would improve PvE while not making fire crazy OP for BGs and what not. It just feels like pyroblast should do a lot of damage, by it's nature, it's a huge ball of fire, it should hit hard. I know they are already buffing it with empowered fire, but if TTW is gone, empowered fire is the easiest way to offset.

That is the goal of what I'm trying to accomplish, not to give mages more damage, but to normalize it a little more. Like scism said, his pally friend did 7.5k all the time, while his damage was all over the spectrum.

You mean like when the added siphon life to be built into corruption instead of having to cast it separately, and added http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=47205 ?
    Oh yeah they gave you one talent point that allows all your dots to crit, while mages need to use a glyph.
    If this is all you have to whine about then you are quite lucky. Siphon Life being changed to a passive and a DoT class scaling with DPS stats like direct damage classes do. God forbid.

I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaoslux
    Because mages dont have slow
    Who casts - or even specs - slow for raiding?

im suprised none have mentioned the random ness with am procs, sometimes it takes 10ab's to proc it, sometimes it procs 2-3times be4 you get 4 debuffs.. i hate rng!
    None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are.