Class impact in dungeons and raids

I was wondering what your opinion is about the impact your class has upon your playstyle in dungeons and raids.

For me dungeons have always been more interesting than raids since you have a lot more opportunity to use your class abilities in a (heroic) dungeon. The TBC heroics did a very good job on that I believe. The ideal heroic, in my opinion, forces a player to use his class abilities regarding cc, kiting, interrupts, threat managing and possibly line of sight. It's a great way to get the max out of your class and at the same time offers something completely different from raids.

There isnt a lot of difference between playing a mage, warlock, hunter or spriest in a raid. Sure, you use different spells but the scope of unique class abilities narrows down a lot. At least in my opinion, in a raid it isnt the person who masters his class the best who will perform the best, it is the person who masters the boss tactics the best. Don't get me wrong, that is fine and I don't see how a raid could work differently. But because of the simple fact that in a raid class differences will always narrow down, I think it is a real shame that dungeons don't offer a different possibilty anymore.

With the way heroics are now, you have to play pvp if you really want to feel like you're playing the hunter class, or any other class for that matter. It is the only place where you still use most of the spells in your spellbook. I don't want to get into the discussion if PVE or PVP is harder or more fun, I just want to know your opinion about wether or not Blizzard should try to get heroic dungeons into a place again where you have to use your full arsenal of abilities to complete it. Seeing how heroics can offer a completely different experience from raiding, I think they deserve some more attention and a more prominent place in World of Warcraft.

Re: Class impact in dungeons and raids

you can easily see the difference between a crap player and a very good player. a very good player will use all his skills available.

ultimately it doesn't make a difference though as everything is just AOEd down.
    http://files.me.com/sureshk/j0r7w6

10+ Year Old Account

I heard mocking blow'ing off a competent tank as a fury or arms warrior was pro and so is distracting shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Ok, I give up. This is pointless.
    Many Multitudes Online Constantly Harping About Minor Problems
    FIRE GIVES ME BIGGER BLOOD SHIELDS

No, they're just here to grant us emblems, nothing more.

Ultimately you want to try and layer your buffs as much as possible so you have the strongest ones available to you. The nice thing about LK is that it's now very easy for you to have multiple raids full of alts of competent people as well as those buffs often provided by items. (Scrolls/drums.)

While I do think competency of play still outweighs a class, there is a definite class synergy that happens that can make gearing up and just starting raids far less painful. For example having a combo of Warrior, Priest, Paladin, Druid gives your raid the highest amount of health right from the get go, which just makes it easier to survive all around.

Never underestimate the power of wiggle-room on getting a boss down in fewer tries.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
    you can easily see the difference between a crap player and a very good player. a very good player will use all his skills available.

ultimately it doesn't make a difference though as everything is just AOEd down.
    By this logic a dps DK should DG evrything he can cus its one of his "skills" available.
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

I would, I really would. With the inclusion of the ICC 5-mans, I was hoping that I might get to finally use my Shackle Undead spell for the first time since Stratholme (really, I can hardly remember TBC at all). Sadly, I've so far only used it once or twice to save a group i HoR. Most of the time, people ignore CC. I'd like for it to be a concept in some way, be it just 'sap/hex/sheep/repentance that guy in the back so that we can AoE down the rest'.

I'd love to use more abilities in Cataclysm, both in 5-man instances and in raids.

Quote Originally Posted by Zonas
    By this logic a dps DK should DG evrything he can cus its one of his "skills" available.
    No, by that logic a Death Knight will Death Grip that lone guy running towards the healer so that the tank can get ahold of him again.

Quote Originally Posted by MushroomBomb
    I would, I really would. With the inclusion of the ICC 5-mans, I was hoping that I might get to finally use my Shackle Undead spell for the first time since Stratholme (really, I can hardly remember TBC at all). Sadly, I've so far only used it once or twice to save a group i HoR. Most of the time, people ignore CC. I'd like for it to be a concept in some way, be it just 'sap/hex/sheep/repentance that guy in the back so that we can AoE down the rest'.

I'd love to use more abilities in Cataclysm, both in 5-man instances and in raids.

No, by that logic a Death Knight will Death Grip that lone guy running towards the healer so that the tank can get ahold of him again.
    Being a Death Knight myself, and having played both Tank and DPS, I do find myself DPS'ing a lot in runs with other tanks in my guild, and I will Death Grip lone mobs into the tanks AoE, which is generally, Consecrate, or Death and Decay. They like this, it saves them from having to break up the entire group fo mobs they're already focusing on just to go round up another one and moving them out of the other DPS' AoE.

I also love being able to Interrupt and Silence while on my Death Knight, whether I am DPS'ing or Tanking. My main is a Warlock, and while I love my Warlock and wouldn't trade him for anything, I do sometimes find my Death Knight to be a little bit more interactive in the mix of things. I enjoy doing Heroics a lot more while on my Death Knight than my Warlock, however I enjoy raiding more on my Warlock than my Death Knight.
    Mike Morheim: Rift is totally gonna fail
    Ghostcrawler: Yeah good thing we made healing harder!
    Metzen: Guys, what soul should I get to go with Paladin and Beastmaster?