Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Is it worth gemming Expertise over Stamina if Expertise is way below soft cap?

My DW frost tank set/spec gives me 18/18 expertise when the soft cap is 26. Would have to bring my expertise up 2% to reach it. So, is it worth getting rid of stamina gems to bring expertise up to soft cap by gemming it?

Re: Is it worth gemming Expertise over Stamina if Expertise is way below soft cap?

Yes.

Re: Is it worth gemming Expertise over Stamina if Expertise is way below soft cap?

go for expertise/stam - guardian's dreadstone. Expertise is pretty important for tanks.

10+ Year Old Account

Since im a Jewelcrafter I just did two +34 expertise gems out of the three possible, brought me a bit above soft cap even though I lost 102 stamina. Even if this wasn't the best decision gonna have it till I get better expertise gear in ICC.

Thanks for the help though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll
    Since im a Jewelcrafter I just did two +34 expertise gems out of the three possible, brought me a bit above soft cap even though I lost 102 stamina. Even if this wasn't the best decision gonna have it till I get better expertise gear in ICC.

Thanks for the help though.
    That's the worst thing you could have done.

10+ Year Old Account

I hear gemming for threat stats is the new IN thing.... /sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by Destinyx
    I hear gemming for threat stats is the new IN thing.... /sarcasm
    Not everyone has the luxury of having expertise over the soft cap like us.

Well it very much depent on what you want to tank and why you want to be capped.

If you want to do more damage to deal more threat and have no problems with getting gibbed sure go for it.

If you want to reduce incomming damage by gemming expertice then I would say maybe. The reason for this is a while it is a reduction in parrys->parrys haste then parry haste is pretty over hybed and unless you have 5 stupid rogues not an issue. Overall if we are only looking at survivability then 90% of the time sta>exp by a HUGE margin

Another think to note that unless you are doing it wrong (please dont tell me you are tanking with 2x1.6speed warrior tanking swords) Then your 2 slow weapons even with specials are ALOT less parrible attacks then a warrior using a 1,6 speed weapon.

So if you just do hcs and maybe a 10man now and then AND you have problems holding agrro then just go for it.

If you get instant gibbed in 25mans then stacking sta is stil the best options and no matter what knowing when to time your cds are often going to do alot more then most gems or enchants could ever do.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Crazhr
    Well it very much depent on what you want to tank and why you want to be capped.

If you want to do more damage to deal more threat and have no problems with getting gibbed sure go for it.

If you want to reduce incomming damage by gemming expertice then I would say maybe. The reason for this is a while it is a reduction in parrys->parrys haste then parry haste is pretty over hybed and unless you have 5 stupid rogues not an issue. Overall if we are only looking at survivability then 90% of the time sta>exp by a HUGE margin

Another think to note that unless you are doing it wrong (please dont tell me you are tanking with 2x1.6speed warrior tanking swords) Then your 2 slow weapons even with specials are ALOT less parrible attacks then a warrior using a 1,6 speed weapon.

So if you just do hcs and maybe a 10man now and then AND you have problems holding agrro then just go for it.

If you get instant gibbed in 25mans then stacking sta is stil the best options and no matter what knowing when to time your cds are often going to do alot more then most gems or enchants could ever do.
    Not up to ICC25 yet since i am fairly new. The farthest I have gotten in ICC10 was Putricide tanking but I couldn't tank Festergut since he kept one shotting me. So I guess expertise would help to keep me alive on this encounter.

10+ Year Old Account

Parry hasting is off for the majority of bosses in ICC. If you're getting gibbed on fester, its because you are not using cooldowns at the right time, or your healers just suck.

Expertise is not an issue when it comes to parry haste.

If you're dying, it's unlikely expertise is going to help much.
    You should only take expertise because of the threat benefits.. If you're dying, but you're way above the dps. Stick with stamina.

Fester is one of the few bosses where you a. Dont want to be undergeard and b. should go back to cd chaining.

Fester is a gear check just like patch, brutalus and alot of other bosses and you are expected to and need to use cds.

If you have problems with fester there are a few thing you can do.

1. Chuck an armor pot 5 sec before combat and then when it drops.
    2. Make sure ice touch NEVER EVER EVER drops off this is a tps and dps drop but making sure that 20% slow is always up can help.
    3. Make sure you got a demo shout/roar/pala thing up at all time. This is the most underrated debuff in the game and can reduce damage by up to 20% on some fights.
    4. Use your cds especialy with +2stakcs. Chain icebound fortitude, unbreakable armor and even army of the dead if you have to. If you got priest get pain suppresion or guardian spirit, if you got a pala get him to bubble->blessing of sacrifise, if you got a druid tranq can help (just make sure he is in the right party).

Hope this can help abit but just remember:

Look at why you died 90% of the time its predictable damage that could and SHOULD have been avoided by a cd. Remember you got them for a reason USE THEM!!!

10+ Year Old Account

Needs more armory link so we can actually find a problem.

10+ Year Old Account

W00t, just tanked Festergut, not one wipe.

Btw, armory link:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...an&cn=Zatheyll

Is it worth it?

That's a matter of personal opinion since Parry hasting is essentially a non issue in ICC.

When I tanked on my Paladin, I completely ignored +hit and expertise in favor of raw stam simply because threat was not an issue and I didn't care if I missed the odd attack.

On my DK however, I always change my gems around to keep myself hit and exp soft capped as I upgrade gear. Sadly, atm, most of my gear is lacking in hit and expertise with a 5.8k GS. I'm just unlucky with drops, and am using the crafted legs/feet not T10 as I bought the offset bits first.

Anyway, threat is generally is non issue mid fight and on the pull with tricks/MD, but at times you don't get them, and even being expertise(soft) and hit(melee) I still get enough parry's that it annoys the crap outta me. Sure I could stack all stam, but im not in a hardmode guild and dont need more than I currently have.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptorg
    Expertise is not an issue when it comes to parry haste.

If you're dying, it's unlikely expertise is going to help much.
    You should only take expertise because of the threat benefits.. If you're dying, but you're way above the dps. Stick with stamina.
    Expertise is a threat stat. I don't know of any tanks that gem for threat (at least during progression anyway).

So, short answer for the OP is no. Longer answer is use exp/stam hybrids in decent sockets on farm content.

Yes it is worth it, Expertise is more than just threat, if a boss parries you, his next melee swing comes at you faster, to expertise is a means of mitigation.

Quote Originally Posted by TravistysMask
    Yes it is worth it, Expertise is more than just threat, if a boss parries you, his next melee swing comes at you faster, to expertise is a means of mitigation.
    According to the research on Maintankadin, very few Icecrown bosses parry-haste:
    The List
    Icecrown Citadel
    Lord Marrowgar - Parry Haste Disabled
    Lady Deathwhisper - Parry Haste Enabled
    Gunship (Saurfang/Bronzebeard) - -
    Deathbringer Saurfang - Parry Haste Disabled
    Festergut - Parry Haste Disabled
    Rotface - Parry Haste Disabled
    Professor Putricide - Parry Haste Disabled
    Prince Taldaram - Parry Haste Disabled
    Prince Valanar - Parry Haste Disabled
    Blood-Queen Lana'thel - Parry Haste Disabled
    Sindragosa - Parry Haste Enabled
    The Lich King - Parry Haste Disabled
    The only ones who parry-haste are Deathwhisper and Sindragosa (not sure about the Gunship boss, but who really cares?), neither of which do significant physical damage to tanks. Expertise seems to have little use besides threat in Icecrown, and there is no need to gem for threat.

with your lvl of HP you sholdn't gem for exp, just go with stam, you will get parried and dodged but meh, just get some gear upgrade with exp on it.

Deleted

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=42994

Buy these and take 2 expertise gems or 3 expertise/stam