Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Music] The End of Rock and Roll

Hello, Dark Side again, tonight i will entertain you with my take on the music industries and why "Old time rock and roll" isnt on the air much anymore. I am not attacking any style of music, and i have my taste you can have yours, if i say a song or band is terrible, thats a opinion, i dont wish you to flame me for my tastes. This is all one big conpiracy theory so sit down and enjoy.

In 1981, MTV first came on air, it was glorious, awesome music, funny videos, poor animation attempts, and people could rock out to their favorites. This went great for about 4 years, then The Dire Straights came out with a song: Money for Nothing. For the first 1 minute and 5 seconds of the song, you can hear international recording artist Sting saying "I want my MTV"..I want my MTV, a phrase that single handedly brought the rock empire to its knees. It was repeated over and over and over by the channel that it made everyone sick of it, but they didnt have a choice, that was all there was for music video prodcast. From here on,it only gets worse.

No one knows what happened, but i believe it to be a bad reveiw MTV got, but they stopped playing good rock and hard rock songs. The moved on to playing more clean stuff, such as Our Lady Peace's "Supermans Dead" style of music, dull and depressing. This continued for a long while, then early 90's Grunge kicked in. Nirvana surfaced and hit it hard with their hits, such as Smells like Teen Spirit, Come as You Are, In Bloom, Toureets, and many others. While their tunes were heavy, they all were a "I want to kill myslef" style of lyrics and sound, which MTV now thrived upon. By this time, MTV was not the same, it had been bought out by a big corperation with only one object in mind, "Money for nothing"

Somewhere between 1989's Appitite for Destruction and The Backstreet Boys, they decided bands no longer required instruments to be big, all they needed was looks, this is what the corperation decided to make their biggest outlit on, seeing as it takes less time to make someone look good,than give them a talent.

The corperation is called Clear Channel. Clear Channel is the largest owner of full-power AM, FM, and shortwave radio stations and twelve radio channels on XM Satellite Radio, and is also the largest pure-play radio station owner and operator. They control what gets played on all radio stations when, and since MTV is now playing newer music, Clear Channel saw it as a oppertunity to bite this and profit. They would cram the music that you dont even like down your throat untill you did, they mill make you belive you cant live without listening to this band, its pure mind control.

Their tools were there, they had a new generation to force new music on, and the abillity to make anyone famous without talent. They got to it and played songs such as Britney Spears, Backstreet boys, NSYNC, and other like this. While it still offered entertainment, the great music of the 70s and 80s were quickly fading. This was the reality of the 90s and it got way worse till the 2000s, at which oit had nowhere to go but up, and not by much.

The 2000s were not that much better, boy bands had depleated and left with few, which were eventualy exterminated by the ones who created them. In the past 10 years, very very few good songs were released, a bit of Chickenfoot, Bad Girlfriend, and select few others. Clear Channel has been busy too, they brought Kings of Leon out of the ground with their smash hits, Notion, Use somebody, and Sex is on Fire, which are terrible songs, the guitar is mediocre at best, the lyrics are pointless and the song is far too repetitive.

Clear Channel has enough money to hire musicians togeather and have writers and prducers make them good. Clear Channel created the band Linkin Park, with the rap vocalist and heavy metal guitarist, they went through producers and writers to get their fame, all sponsored by Cleaar Channel. They would have never existed if not for Clear Channel, and neither would many of other bands, its all Mind Control.

Thats the end of my rant, it the end i pin it all on Sting and his "I want my MTV", while catchy,drove everyone crazy.
    Thoughts?
    Its either this theory or.....
    Old Gods did it :P

Re: The End of Rock and Roll

Although you gave me a good read, and it's pretty much true,
    I don't think it will bring any good in a forum that is part of a WoW forum.
    I don't know of any fitting magazines or websites where you could send this to, but if you find one I'm sure some people will do something.

Btw, it sounds as though you REALLY hate Clear Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Eltrollo View Post
    [/COLOR]

Even though I disagree with half the things that have been said in this theory, I'd still applaud it if only it actually made any sort of sense.

For example, you point out that MTV used to play good rock and hard rock songs, when in reality the first years of broadcast included the likes of The Buggles, Pat Benetar, Rod Stewart, and Ph.D.

As an avid music listener and participant (being a musician myself) I highly question that Nirvana is a, as you so wisely worded, "I want to kill myslef (sic)" sound. First, I wouldn never see grunge as being of the suicidal sound. Just because Kurt Cobain killed himself (as some would have you believe, but that's a different conspiracy theory altogether) doesn't mean the whole grunge motion was of that idea. When you take a GOOD look at the lyrics of Nirvana, you'd see that they're not about suicide. Also, you completely forget artists such as Nine Inch Nails, who emerged in 1989 and completely go against your idea of what was going on at the time: "they decided bands no longer required instruments to be big".

There was also Rage Against the Machine, which if you listened to ANY of their tracks, would never conceivably have been 'created' by this organization you claim exists.

On top of that, Clear Channel was not a big player until after 1996. Legally CC were not allowed to own more than 2 radio stations per market until the Telecommunications Act of 1996.

From there on, the 'fall of rock' on the radio can also be contributed to genres on the rise. While yes, this includes the bubblegum pop of Britney Spears or BSB. it also includes electronica (Fatboy Slim, The Prodigy, The Crystal Method), hip-hop (2pac, Notorious B.I.G., Snoop Dogg, etc.), etc.

Your ideas of Linkin Park - first off, the fact that you consider the guitarist of Linkin Park to be a 'heavy metal guitarist' is laughable. I guess that makes me a heavy metal guitarist because I can play powerchords. Hell that makes EVERYONE a heavy metal guitarist. Also if you actually research the band you're bashing, you'd realize that Mike Shinoda, the 'rap vocalist' you mentioned, is also a singer, writer, pianist, guitarist, and producer. Case-in-point: A band of your so-called 'great music of the 70s and 80s', Depeche Mode, collaborated with him for a remix of Enjoy The Silence. Further, the lead vocalist, Chester Bennington, has been recognized as one of the most powerful vocalists of this past decade by the likes of Slash, Slash, and also Slash.

If you really want to write a conspiracy theory, I'd like to point out that you did little to NO mention of the record labels, who have been accused and have admitted to paying off radio stations to play specific songs.

I could go point for point of every sentence of this theory, but then the post would become a TL;DR.

And by the way, if you consider MTV to be a true sign of the 'end of rock and roll', then I'd suggest turning off your TV, turning off your radio, and just LISTEN TO MUSIC. If you're a fan of 70s-80s rock then NOBODY IS STOPPING YOU.

So here we are lovers of lost dimensions
    Itsuka hi no kaze ni noote haruka tooi
    Burning supernovas, of all sound and sight
    Hayaka no koto e
    Every touch, a temptation
    Itsuku sora hitotsu michimono hi Wataateyukeyu
    And for every sense, a sensation
    Hanateta koto e

15+ Year Old Account

While I pretty much agree with what you say about the music industry being all about crafting artists for making money etc, I think it's pretty stupid to use it as an argument against the music itself. No one who actually enjoys that stupid, repetitive, shallow songs that abound today is going to care about who's really behind them and why the artist suddenly got a big hit. It's going to continue for as long as MTV and CC keep making loads of money out of it, which is as long as they can keep convincing people that the crap they put out is actually good.
    MTV isn't really the 'end of rock n roll', though. As big as they seem to be, there's very much music that's never had anything to do with MTV, and never will. It's just as possible to find good rock music now as it was 20 years ago - it's just a little less abundant, and a little harder to find.
    Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

No offense intended at all but whenever I see Darkside as an author or responder to a thread I always kick back my legs and get in a real comfy position because I know I have some readin' to do sir speculation supreme.

Is the music industry corrupt? yes of course but what isn't?
    Look at all the bands/music groups/artist starting from the 1910's, as you get closer and closer to our time everything comes (arguably) in a lesser "quality" but much cheaper and faster ability to get it known to make money. We live in a capitalistic society and more or less you're complaining about it.

Is it wrong what people are doing to the industry? Of course it is but ever since the mid-late 80's everything has been able to be commercialized and doesn't matter what the product is, it will get fed down our throats with trust, gossip, and repetition.

Edit:for spelling
    If curiosity killed the cat, why can't speculation kill you?

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by minusxero
    Even though I disagree with half the things that have been said in this theory, I'd still applaud it if only it actually made any sort of sense.

*snip*

And by the way, if you consider MTV to be a true sign of the 'end of rock and roll', then I'd suggest turning off your TV, turning off your radio, and just LISTEN TO MUSIC. If you're a fan of 70s-80s rock then NOBODY IS STOPPING YOU.
    I like your thoughts, but to me it just sounds like you have a different taste than me. Okay, i didnt research the previous occupations of the bands i "Bashed", which by the way i never ment to do, i didnt research the record lables and in fact im aware that the band will do whatever the lable wants them to do, so generaly its not their fault. But collectivly, its CCs fault in everything, and what powers CC is money, the true root of all evil. You can argue my point all you want, in fact i welcome it; i conspire just so people can shoot it down and have a good read, but the fact remains, CC owns everything to do with music good or bad.
    I would turn off my tv,radio,and other music sources, but its beyond that. I am a musician too so i need t keep track of what people are listening to to spot a trend. Sadly if i plan on going far with music, i have to be a 7+ on the pretty scale, and make music people will listen to. kinda like Airbourne

Quote Originally Posted by Chronicle
    Although you gave me a good read, and it's pretty much true,
    I don't think it will bring any good in a forum that is part of a WoW forum.
    I don't know of any fitting magazines or websites where you could send this to, but if you find one I'm sure some people will do something.

Btw, it sounds as though you REALLY hate Clear Channel
    I chose this site because i have a name here. If i went anywhere else with 1 post, i would not have the same respect from people, and they might not even read it for inexperience in that forum.
    Also, ofc i hate CC, it killed my favorite era.

Quote Originally Posted by IplayHorde
    No offense intended at all but whenever I see Darkside as an author or responder to a thread I always kick back my legs and get in a real comfy position because I know I have some readin' to do sir speculation supreme.

Is the music industry corrupt? yes of course but what isn't?
    Look at all the bands/music groups/artist starting from the 1910's, as you get closer and closer to our time everything comes (arguably) in a lesser "quality" but much cheaper and faster ability to get it known to make money. We live in a capitalistic society and more or less you're complaining about it.

Is it wrong what people are doing to the industry? Of course it is but ever since the mid-late 80's everything has been able to be commercialized and doesn't matter what the product is, it will get fed down our throats with trust, gossip, and repetition.

Edit:for spelling
    Sir speculation supreme....i like that. Im glad you read my conspiracy theories

Clear Channel only controls what is broadcast on a limited amount of stations. Just because it's not being played on the radio anymore doesn't mean it's dead. And there are plenty of bands that have been known to defy the label/corporate order that have become famous. The bands won't do whatever the label wants them to do, the bands still have a lot of power.

Cases-in-point:
    Red Hot Chili Peppers: their breakout single, 'Give It Away', was blasted on the radio as 'not being music'. It is still one of their biggest songs today.

Nine Inch Nails: left his first label because they wanted him to make an album he didn't want to make, later signed to a major and continued to do as he pleased rather than give what the company wanted. He even openly supported the stealing of music, including his own (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFXivarypE4), and later left his label, released an album on Creative Commons (downloadable on bittorrent OFFICIALLY), released an album completely for FREE then uploaded over 300gb of HD concert footage so fans could make their own DVDs.

I'd go on but then it'd be TL;DR again or as you so put it, *snip*

All in all, CC doesn't own everything about music. You're being a bit paranoid of their power. Artists such as Kid Cudi, Asher Roth, the new lead singer of Journey (who was noticed by the band due to his YOUTUBE videos), or Lights (a hot Canadian chick who makes catchy synth-pop music and plays an 80 Fury Spec Warrior and has a bunch of alts to boot).

But then again this all depends on your taste in music, and seeing as you listen to Theory of a Deadman and Bad Girlfriend, I'm gonna say your musical tastes don't branch out as far as mine (not insulting or derogatory, just say I listen to way too much music) so my arguments would probably be moot.

Hayaka no koto e
    Hanateta koto e

10+ Year Old Account

But then again this all depends on your taste in music, and seeing as you listen to Theory of a Deadman and Bad Girlfriend, I'm gonna say your musical tastes don't branch out as far as mine (not insulting or derogatory, just say I listen to way too much music) so my arguments would probably be moot.
    Close, i put those out as examples of what i call "acceptable music" of this decade(thats my taste). realy thats just the best its been recently, im more interested in Van Halen, ACDC, GNR, Def Leppard, all that sort of stuff. And allthough my music taste didnt branch out much past what i said above, recently iv been getting better. Come to peace with Red Hots, Billy talent, a few more genaric bands.

Also, i know all about Lights

I'd be one to argue that RHCP are definitely not generic while saying Billy Talent is a ridiculously overrated group of musicians.

The now ex-guitarist for the RHCP, John Frusciante, is heralded as one of the new-age guitar gods. When you listen to some of his parts it's awe-inspiring. When you listen to him explain every single thing he does to his guitar to get that specific sound, it starts getting ridiculous. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE3dUUj4_4Q
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejaDHH87tRo

Hayaka no koto e
    Hanateta koto e

10+ Year Old Account

I'd be one to argue that RHCP are definitely not generic while saying Billy Talent is a ridiculously overrated group of musicians.

The now ex-guitarist for the RHCP, John Frusciante, is heralded as one of the new-age guitar gods. When you listen to some of his parts it's awe-inspiring. When you listen to him explain every single thing he does to his guitar to get that specific sound, it starts getting ridiculous. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE3dUUj4_4Q
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejaDHH87tRo
    I understand that, and its truely a incredible thing to do aat his age, i should know, there even some realy good songs from them that i like and play, but that clean twang isnt my thing.

10+ Year Old Account

While I agree with most of what you said, I'm a huge Nirvana fan and as I think someone already said, look closely at Nirvana's lyrics and you will see that most of them don't have "i want to kill myself" lyrics, with the possible exception of I Hate Myself and Want to Die. :P
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhdCslFcKFU

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side
    Alice in Chains "Supermans Dead"
    No such song was ever written by Alice In Chains. "Superman's dead" was written by Our Lady Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishAdam
    While I agree with most of what you said, I'm a huge Nirvana fan and as I think someone already said, look closely at Nirvana's lyrics and you will see that most of them don't have "i want to kill myself" lyrics, with the possible exception of I Hate Myself and Want to Die. :P
    I can only think of one song where he'd think that they about killing themselves, in the song Lithium but that's of course not exactly what he means in the song. Nivana nor any other band that I'm aware of were pro suicide at that time.
    If curiosity killed the cat, why can't speculation kill you?

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Offhand
    No such song was ever written by Alice In Chains. "Superman's dead" was written by Our Lady Peace.
    Right, i even saw that a few days ago but forgot to change that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Iron Maiden gathered over 2 million people in 6 weeks during their 2007 Somewhere Back in Time tour. They are now bigger than ever. Just watch the Flight 666 documentary, it's god damn awesome!

Rock and roll is not dead nor it ever will be. You just don't hear it on the radio that much. But it doesn't matter

rock and roll grows continously.. what you call rock im quite sure someone in the 60' wouldnt call it that.. just like 80's rock wasnt the end of rock just a highlight.. like every music it will have its cycles when people are tired of hearing a certian type of rock it will move to something else.. the big hair band will be back sooner or later.

unfortunately you seem to only recognize the 80's and early 90's in your "rant" and while i consider it a personal highlight in rock n roll.. its not even considered the greatest era.. you talk about big bands.. but fail to realize that the big band rock and roll was in the 60's. i agree with your article that a certain era of music is slowly dying out.. but i disagree that rock n roll is dying out.. its alive and well you just dont like it anymore because its not "your type" of rock n roll. im pretty sure you can catch your parents listening to older music and thinking those same thoughts...
    Last edited by McTurbo; 2012-12-09 at 03:04 PM.

Sadly if i plan on going far with music, i have to be a 7+ on the pretty scale, and make music people will listen to. kinda like Airbourne
    Why don't you try the UK music market, it isn't so...superficial. Heck, send your tape to BBC Radio 1 introducing - that's what bands like The Killers did (they were nobodies until Zane Lowe and Jo Whiley played them, two years later they were headlining Glastonbury and only then did they go back to the States) or get on the playlist at Reading and Leeds or any of the other festivals.

Music evolves. The music of the late 60s and the 70s, bands like the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Status Quo and Pink Floyd, the Sex Pistols - they commanded audiences of tens if not hundreds of thousands. Now music has changed, so now you have groups like The Killers, Biffy Clyro, Muse, Linkin' Park, and Green Day taking their places. Yes, they aren't "big" like Justin Bieber and Carly Rae Jepsen because that is the way the market has changed, and yes, the big labels are partly at fault (as are shows like Pop Idol, X-Factor and The Voice) but if you look hard enough you can make your way through the mire of bad music and find a couple of gems (try http://www.bandcamp.com for some independent artists and groups), but there was "trash" music 30 years ago too.

I don't disagree with you completely.... But there were some really amazing artists in every decade, they have always been few and far between, and MTV isn't going to find them for you.
    It's like crossing an intersection. There's shit going on all over the place and you don't panic and act like an idiot then do you?

This is why I don't listen to a lot of mainstream stuff. Some of my fave bands they don't play on the radio, and others you don't hear a lot on the radio. I wouldn't blame Clear Channel for anything, I'd blame the record companies that tell bands to play a certain way because it makes them "more marketable". I applaud bands that write, record and produce their own music. I also respect recording companies that give the bands free reign over what goes on the albums.

holy 2 and a half year necro

i mean if you get your music from MTV obviously you're going to be dissapointed