Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast

Re: Mastery System Preview

I think this could prove done very interesting changes that actually means your spec will change as your gear up.

For example holy pala's I'd guess the mastery stat would be some form of healing bonus and that retris would be some form of crit bonus on casts/spells.

As such when u originally hit 85 u maybe need more of the retri spec to keep crit high and thus get more mana back (blizz have already pretty much guarenteed a rape to our endless mana - and rightly so).

But as you get higher gear and higher stats off it you won't need the crit anymore so can dive further into holy for some massively high healing or into prot for some form of damage mitigation for raid (how I imagine prot mastery stat).

I could be way off - but either the possibilities are far more exciting than when wotlk arrived.

I do worry for some crazy pvp specs tho (for instance the old OP prot holy spec) if blizzard don't keep a close eye on the possible hybridization.

To stormgust: I really hope you are wrong on the pala HoT. If they do give us a decent hot (and the current flash the shieldy hot is crap) they will be slowly giving all classes all forms of spells which blizzard said they were trying to steer away from. Ergo I rolled pala not tree / priest.

Quote Originally Posted by Durandir
    the mastery system will look like this its a old screen from blizzcon

http://wow.gamona.de/wp-content/gall.../talente_2.jpg

Heh, I've seen that picture before but I never noticed the pally was named Totheground. I like that Blizz keeps up with this stuff.

In keeping with the reference, here's something I prepared earlier:

Human: To the ground, baby!
    Tauren: To the soil, young spirit!
    Gnome: Residing on the mineralogical particles, citizen!
    Night Elf: Upon the earth, my child!
    Troll: Pon da groun, brudda!
    Undead: Back to the grave, fleshling!
    Dwarf: Back te ye mountain, laddie!
    Orc: Zug zug, grunt.
    Draenei: In Soviet Exodar, ground nerfs YOU!
    Blood Elf: To the...erm...gah, just gimme some %@#! magic...to make the pain go away!

Yes i have too much time! I really should use my powers for good instead of evil.

I wonder what they will do with the DK trees, because the three trees are all meant to be able to tank + dps. Will they change that, only one tree will be the tanking tree, or will DK mastery get survivability and dmg boost?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaesebrezen
    Read the Cataclysm Stat Thread, bosses will get harder to crit in higher content, and the high values you see now will be much harder to achieve.
    Well im an arcane mage - i dont care much about crit but haste is important for me.. And bosses will be harder to hit/crit - but haste always stays the same as far as i know. For that blizz might not put 2nd Mastery bonus as haste but than Arcane will suffer from that than - well anyway i trust Blizz for what they are doing that was just a question on my mind but im sure they will cover it nicely, they always do

I think there is a significant flaw in granting a passive, basic bonus to the trees in order to remove filler talents, namely what others have mentioned with hybrids having very narrow specs. From the examples given, an SPriest will want all 76 talents into Shadow to gain the Increase Damage by X% benefit unless too many talents make this pointless. As a DK this means my damage will be balanced around all three trees possessing passive damage bonuses, and considering Frost has nothing explicitly for tanking I expect to see what Prot Wars/Pals have incorporated as part of their mastery's incorporated into the talents or presence itself.

Seems a tad pointless by needing to make a great deal of assumptions. DKs are an odd case, but Wars and Priests also have problems with two DPS or two Heal specs, and unless the idea is to strictly bloat a tree both will pretty much be balanced around X and Y amounts of the basic bonuses and Z for the specific ones. Seems the only significant difference will be, as usual, the talents themselves, which those basic bonuses change nothing for realistically, and the specific bonus which would be simpler to control and build around.

Not to say I am not excited to see how one might hybridize, but I think they are creating more work for themselves while hindering a few set ups. The flat bonuses should be incorporated into a strict stance system for each class, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by rknDA1337
    so basically 76 talents in one tree will be the shit in cata
    That pretty much sums up my problems with the new system. They should cap the bonuses at say 51 talent points. This way you are not forced to pump all your talent points into one tree.
    This space is available for rent!

Quote Originally Posted by gringo
    That pretty much sums up my problems with the new system. They should cap the bonuses at say 51 talent points. This way you are not forced to pump all your talent points into one tree.
    I see as a problem for some trees but not others. For instance, a dps warrior can spec either arms or fury, but then go subspec into the other dps tree and still get the same damage boost (and maybe trade arp for crit or something). A class like a shadow priest runs into a different problem, there's no other dps subspec to go into, how that gets solved will be the interesting part (or, who knows, maybe shadow priest spend the majority of their points into shadow and are just balanced as such). That suggestion doesn't fit well into the "more options about where you spend your talents" issue though.

Hmm... with the new mastery system I can already imagine seeing people blowing all points into a single talent tree... :P

And for Priests, Holy's RADIANCE seems very damn appealing, HoTs off your heals

Quote Originally Posted by Aturbus
    Wanst spirit gonna be deleted?
    They did delete spirit. Then they made a new regen stat called "regen" and made that the regen stat for all healers.
    Then they decided that "spirit" was a much more cool name.

How the new spirit works, nobody yet knows. The FSR is gone. Instead we have while in combat and while not in combat regen. Meditation-like talents are gone. Apparently replaced with masteries for priests, probably something similar for other healers. But just how the stat pans out, is yet to be seen. I hope the formula is a bit simpler to be honest. And I hope it's decisively better than intellect in terms of regen. Otherwise, what is the point?
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

10+ Year Old Account

Wow sounds really nice. Slowly but steadily the manage to get me excited about Cata ;D

This space is available for rent!

Deleted

I for one hope that mastery in any talent tree will be caped after you put 51 points into it.

Because if you would need to put ALL your tlent points into it to get maximum benefit, then it again takes away your freedom of choice of getting talents for just for fun.

Looking from the POV of a tank, the more points I put into my prot tree the more survival (armor? block?), desirable stat (armor? stamina?) I get and some usefull stuff that helps me tanking (reduced CD on defensive abilities? more threat?).
    This is all nice and dandy, but especialy if they go the way of more threat then the dps gap between a tank and a dps will be even bigger. And they stated the contrary that they would like to have the dps of tanks and dedicated dps closer to each other 1:2-1:3 instead of 1:5-1:6 as it is now.

So that's why I hope mastery gets caped, because as a tank I would like to dip into the other trees to get a bit more damage and fun talents.

Will be hard to make it right for Feral Druids and Death Knights.
    I could imagine, that bear form and kitty form will interpret your Feral Combat mastery differently (say if you are kitty it gives more dmg, if you are bear then more armor).
    But DKs either will need 1 dedicated tanking tree (which I find highly unlikely) or there again Frost Presence interprets Mastery in trees in different way or it grants OP abilities, which will make DKs in PVP imballanced yet again.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala
    Wow sounds really nice. Slowly but steadily the manage to get me excited about Cata ;D
    Why blue text..?

Anyway, now I can somewhat understand if Cata takes a lot of time to come out, because the changes they are conducting are massive.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala
    Doesn't work on me that way Too bad

I thought upon reading the first part of that post that the mastery bonuses were going to be interesting and cool, but in actuality they just seem mind numbingly boring. :'(

This seems like a good change imo.. As mentioned before to keep things fresh

We can't stay in the pass for ever..

Remember how back in the day the tier sets had literally every stat on them? E.g. Hunter set
    Yeah..

Good and interesting change imo..can't wait til this system kicks in..

Also this makes certain dps classes more viable instead of having a spec to trumph them all like MM for hunters

And arcane for mages (though I heard fire might be viable not sure)

The mastery changes will definitely make ele shamans more viable as well..

I'm also interest to see how these changes work out for dks more specifically tanking ones :O

Does this mean that there will only be one tanking tree for dks? Or will it be more hybrid like? Can't wait!!

As I said.. Good change..

awesome changes, cant wait for them ;D
    Quote Originally Posted by Izhara
    Your logic has no place in a sea of unfounded nerdrage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slavemaker
    Sir I am going to have to ask you to calm down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Nope I see the objective the reward and I charge out with my penis erect, ready for the action!
    For the first 15 minutes you are staring at a black screen, the next 30 minutes you are watching monkeys throw poo at each other. That's 45 minutes of complete nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Awe
    This. One of biggest reasons why WoW is so popular is the fact they keep chaning and tweaking all the time. Other MMO out there are/were much more stagnant. I'm now on yet another break from WoW but I know I will be back at least to try Cataclysm. With other games it would probably be over for good.
    Well other RPG games like the original Asheron's Call were far far better than things are handled in wow. For example the Whole contents changed each month, depending on time of the year, snow, green, dry, leaves ... each MONTH there was a content patch with new dungeons, new areas and nothing was announced ahead of time so you actually had to go around and talk to npc's to get clues to what was going on. And you could actualyl influence the game by your actions, like level up monsters if they kill you, etc ... eventually a friend of mine leveled up a crystal that the bad guys neeeded to destroy so much that it became impossible to do especially with hundereds of players defending.

Wow is past its best time patch wise ... in the start we got many many updated in clsoe time while now it seems to be ok to get expansion end game content by patch 3 Gl with next expansion

Myrddin,Stormforged, EU-Ravencrest
    Website: mmo-game.eu,YouTube: myrddinde, Twitter: @MyrddinDE

Can you say, b b b b b beta sooooooon, end of March/Arpil b b b b b beta. Lmao
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

The only classes/specs that will burn 76 points in one tree, will be the class/spec that only have one tree for the thing(DD/Tank/Healer) they want to be.

For example, a Warrior speccing Fury/Sub-Arms can be better than pure Fury.
    A Feral druid will probably be better as pure Feral than Feral/Sub-Resto or Sub-Balance.

Well... we'll see how it plays out.