First ICC experience as disc

So I pugged my first ICC 10, guild run i was only pug, yesterday on my new priest alt and have questions and a funny story to share.

The raid wipes on marrow. Everything was fine, I die first, i seem to tunnel vision on everyone else's health and neglect mine, and then we wipe inside 20 seconds of my death. Average dps is 6k, but 2 bone spikes were up several times. Now these guys are geard to the teeth, nobody below 5400, except me. I spent the majority of my time bubble and renew spamming then PoM, Penance to the people who are in danger. Holy pally links meters and im dead last behind him and resto sham, of course. I link my absorbs and tell them to add them to my hps and im still behind but competitive, about 2800 hps. In my opinion everything falling to pieces within seconds of my death seems to say i was doing OK. Is this how I should be healing marrow as disc? Should i be spamming flash heal?

Now for the funny story. After much arguing and finger pointing, we regroup in front of marrow. Both rogues in the group tricks me and then pull marrow. I fade and run. Marrow goes to the next target and kills the ENTIRE raid except me, lol. I leave raid. At least i got some rep out of it.

Re: First ICC experience as disc

What kind of guild would run ICC with 3! healers eh? Anyway, I'am playing a disc priest too and its just OK to be last on meters, PW:S spam is a gread thing for the raid. Though i've still outhealed the shaman on some fights :P.

Renew (to me) is more of a Holy spell. Something spiffy to do is during or after his bone storm, cast a shield, then immediately cast Prayer of Healing. The extra haste makes it a quick spell and it can proc Divine Aegis on your targets preventing them from taking some damage.

The most useful spells are standalone short quick spells, with longer spells being paired with PW: Shield. Prayer of Mending, Flash Heal, Binding Heal, Shield are probably spells you should be casting most often. More casts = more chances to crit, crits = Divine Aegis & Inspiration.

As for the raid wiping right when you died... a.) You really need to pick up on watching your own health more or you WILL be wiping raids later, b.) It was probably just the raid's breaking point.

So to re-cap - boss does aoe in form of bone spikes, coldflame and bone storm and you ask whether you should be using shields (7k absorb with your gear) or whether you should spam flash heal.
    Another thing is, you've been doing good yet you died and you didn't kill the easiest boss that requires no movement at all, even during bone storm.

I think you can pull out the conclusion yourself. And no, not really funny story. Just another bunch of guys obsessed with gear score without a clue, you seem to have fit in perfectly. Too bad your raid ended so fast.

Quote Originally Posted by syanid
    So to re-cap - boss does aoe in form of bone spikes, coldflame and bone storm and you ask whether you should be using shields (7k absorb with your gear) or whether you should spam flash heal.
    Another thing is, you've been doing good yet you died and you didn't kill the easiest boss that requires no movement at all, even during bone storm.

I think you can pull out the conclusion yourself. And no, not really funny story. Just another bunch of guys obsessed with gear score without a clue, you seem to have fit in perfectly. Too bad your raid ended so fast.
    While I do appreciate your sarcastic and degrading tone, i did have a question in there that you didnt address at all. How do you heal the fight as disc, i explained what I did. Now the priest is an alt i dont play him as well as I should nor do i claim to. I figured the shields would be my best asset to the raid along with the damage reduction from them. How do you conclude people were obsessed with GS. And as far as not "me not having a clue" I think I made that pretty obvious when I asked how to heal it. Way to restate what I already said. The story is a backdrop. Would have a one line post have been better for you? Ok, here you go. How doez i healz marrow as disk??!?!?!?. Maybe you should have a coke and a smile and relax

With your raid comp (i.e. no druids or holy priests), I'd say its ok to use renew in some places. Unfortunately, Marrowgar isn't really a renew-friendly fight IMO. Either your bone-spiked and you pop a shield on the spike or you're in fire and you need shield+flash heal (or PoM+shield) or you're in bone storm and you should shield everyone first, and pop renews on anyone whose shield breaks. There's just not a big aura damage that anyone should suffer from, so renew doesn't have a great spot. That being said, paladins have no HoT and shaman have one on a CD, so renew isn't necessarily a bad spell to use in that comp.

But on Marrowgar, if you've got a paladin on tanks and a shaman to spot heal any fire/bone spike (assuming the spikes are close to the raid cluster, and they should be), then you've got little to do but shield everyone for bone storm and throw out PoM. A pretty straightforward fight, no big tricks to it at all. You just got stuck with a crappy guild who can't beat the easiest fight in ICC and chose you for their scapegoat. All this being said, you can certainly two-heal the lower spire if its a competent guild run, but it sounds like your run was anything but competent. Free rep 4tw!

Well if your stuck on MT and OT heals then PoM every time its off CD to someone in the raid. Penance every time it comes off CD to the MT or the OT. Buble people in between PoM and Penance and if needed toss a Flash Heal (Or Greater Heal if you choose to ignore some of the Flash Heal talents). Also be sure you are standing right on top of melee so you do not have to move as much. If for some reason you are stuck on raid heals (I suggest switching to your OS which should be Holy unless you enjoy the DPS functions of a Spriest) then do basically the same except penance people in the raid and buble people in between. Don't waste your time with Renew as its more of a holy spell and only really useful for adding some more heals onto the tanks. Binding heal can be useful as well at times since you will have damage on yourself at times so use it when you feel it will benefit you and someone else fully.

If you find yourself having mana issues you should regem, regear, or work on mana management with timing prayers and shadow fiends at appropriate times.

For this fight I'd only suggest throwing renews when you're required to be in motion, shield is on CD for your intended target, and PoM is also on CD. FH is far, far better, especially when you factor in Inspiration. The benefit of a flat 10% drop in damage taken during bonestorm should help a lot for those who receive the buff (the shaman has a similar talent, btw).

About 10-15 seconds before bonestorm, spam PWS across the raid. Someone's will be consumed by a bone spike, possibly some others by incidental damage, but it will ease the burden of healing the early part of bonestorm when everyone's first spreading out. During bonestorm, when you're somewhere you're safe to stand for a moment, use FH/Penance as needed (save PWS for when you're forced to move so you can still be maximally productive), and keep PoM on CD. Provided you gear has decent 'oomph' you can even stand still as he storms across your position and continue to heal via FH - but don't get caught in that ground aoe trail!

Regarding meters, it bothers me to no end how people fail to use them properly. A healer can inflate their healing done by opting for targets and spell choices that maximize their stats, or they can opt to do their job and use the right heal at the right time on the right target, even if it doesn't boost their 'standing' on the meter. A dps can inflate their damage done by opting for aoe when single target damage is needed, or they can do their job and do lower momentary dps to help eliminate a greater threat to the raid's survival faster. At the end of the fight, what it comes down to is who's standing - the raid or the boss. Using a meter properly means looking not at the total done, but a breakdown of the tools they chose to use. Is a disc priest having most of their healing done by renew? Problem. A holy paladin has little healing done by BoL? Problem. Dps w/ 100% of their damage done on Marrowgar and none on bone spikes? Problem.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

Usually, when I do this fight on my disc priest I heal the tanks mostly. Keep the tanks up and shield the person getting the spike. Personally I only use renew on the tanks when they are at full hp and penance is off cd (so if they drop at the moment I use renew, I can get them up through an instant heal). The idea behind is that it's a sort of buffer for future damage. Running out of mana is not an issue anyway. 10-15 seconds before boenstorm shielding the raid is good if you have the time. Obviously you don't want your tanks to die just because you wanted to spamm shields on the raid. Rinse and repeat.
    As some others have mentioned, standing on the melee dps helps a lot, no movement required and if you get spiked, the melee dps can immediately free you. In fact, we have everyone but the hunters always stand on the melee.

the group sucked because they didnt kill bone spikes
    the group sucked because they took 3 healers to ICC
    the group sucked because they like healing meters

you sucked because you didn't heal yourself.

a healer should always heal himself too. you can't heal when you are dead.
    http://files.me.com/sureshk/j0r7w6

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle

you sucked because you didn't heal yourself.

a healer should always heal himself too. you can't heal when you are dead.
    This is true. I kinda let myself get psyched out a little bit i guess. These guys out geared me and were supposed to be good. Got so worried about not letting one of them die i broke the healer's cardinal rule. Dont die

Quote Originally Posted by malacoda
    So I pugged my first ICC 10, guild run i was only pug, yesterday on my new priest alt and have questions and a funny story to share.

The raid wipes on marrow. Everything was fine, I die first, i seem to tunnel vision on everyone else's health and neglect mine, and then we wipe inside 20 seconds of my death. Average dps is 6k, but 2 bone spikes were up several times. Now these guys are geard to the teeth, nobody below 5400, except me. I spent the majority of my time bubble and renew spamming then PoM, Penance to the people who are in danger. Holy pally links meters and im dead last behind him and resto sham, of course. I link my absorbs and tell them to add them to my hps and im still behind but competitive, about 2800 hps. In my opinion everything falling to pieces within seconds of my death seems to say i was doing OK. Is this how I should be healing marrow as disc? Should i be spamming flash heal?

Now for the funny story. After much arguing and finger pointing, we regroup in front of marrow. Both rogues in the group tricks me and then pull marrow. I fade and run. Marrow goes to the next target and kills the ENTIRE raid except me, lol. I leave raid. At least i got some rep out of it.
    I also bubble and use prayer of healing. Keep PoM up, and for crying out loud....use binding heal in situations where you are taking damage and someone else is getting low. Two heals for one GCD is really really nice. Binding Heal definitely isn't a heal that I use on every fight, but it certainly has it's place in ICC. As for renews, it can be handy but I really don't bother with the spell at all. Bone spikes are always taken care of by my other healers (healing wise) and I always bubble those people with it. Bone storm, I tend to bubble and entire raid before he does it, then as I said before PoH away.
    Words are a wonderful form of communication, but they will never replace kisses and punches. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

I've never done Marrowgar with more than 2 healers. Also, as others mentioned, if DPS arent' killing the spikes, well, you're doomed to fail. Assuming the typical strategy, which is to have the tanks stack and everyone else behind in melee range, hunters at minimum range, there's really only two possibilities for Disc.

With a Holy Paladin or Shaman, I'm probably primarily responsible for the raid. As such, I'd generally keep shields on the tanks, saving Penance for spikes, and take resposibility for the spikes with a shield and any healing plus, if there's a hunter, watch his health. During bonestorm, keep pom bouncing, PWS everything in sight, let the Pally or Shaman cover the random spike or whatever. You'd probably need to favor the tanks a bit more with a Shaman though.

If healing with a Druid or Holy Priest, I'm primarily responsible for the tanks. As such, keep PWS and PoM on the tanks, spam the hell out of them and save Penance for spikes; your healing partnet ought to at least keep some hots on the tanks since they can cover the raid damage with just a few GCDs. For a bonespike, does a PWS on them if you can afford the GCD. And do the same for bonestorm, shield everything in sight and keeping PoM on CD; your partner will get a few hots on any damage spikes, so you shouldn't have to worry about that.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuq
    I've never done Marrowgar with more than 2 healers.
    Then you clearly haven't tried it on hard mode . But it's just a small OT, no offense .

Now thats kind of comment and post overall I don't like.
    I know this topic is neither useful nor really funny but guy clearly stated he's not a very active raider yet playing priest. If you find enjoyable to laugh at the "new guy" it doesnt say anything good about you. And being completely wrong with "not even bone storm" kinda shows your "skill":
    1. Either you use "spread out tactic and you dodge flames.
    2. Or you clump up and let tanks "dance" - but then in the first BS everyone will recieve max Bone storm damage (and I hope you know, closer to him then, more dmg you recieve). That means a very heavy raid dmg even in normal mode, which. I'm not saying it's not healable. Never were that stupid to actualy stand on one spot. But imo less dmg you take, the better. Even in faceroll fights.