Thread: Aoe RP dump

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Aoe RP dump

So i always wondered why death knights dont have any aoe spells that require RP, or why they didnt have big hitting spells that chew up all thier rp, so i came up with this (which combines the both).

Carrion swarm

Requires 70-100 (130 with runic mastery) Rune Power. (using all 6 runes grants 60 rp, so you can't use it after using all 6 runes [Unless your using scent of blood]).

Deals X to Y damage Shadow damage (Modified by attack power and rune power used) in a cone X feet infront of them (think dragons breath, but heavier damage).

Now all 3 specs (being blood, frost and unholy) 45 point talents have a 20/40/60/80/100% chance to add a certain "flavour" to carrion swarm when cast.

Now i've only thought of one for unholy and frost (The following ideas may not be to balanced);

Your carrion swarm has a 20/40/60/80/100 chance to grant you a "shield" of locus (i know locus is more a nerubian thing, but bear with me) that absorbs X% of damage dealt, when broken (either via damage, or when the debuff expires [Not when clicked off]) deals Y (based on damage absorbed) damage to everyone in Z 15 yards.

Your carrion swarm has a 20/40/60/80/100 chance for locus to surround you leeching X damage (based on carrion swarms damage) from surrounding enemies for 10 seconds. (think old unholy blight)

Now setting the spec based things aside, i think a hard hitting Rp dump would help (not completely remove) dk tanks problems with dks snap aoe agro (and their aoe agro (frost aside) in general). It will also force death knights to decide between spread out the use of rp (via death coil/FS) or saving it for a carrion swarm.

Share your thoughts on the idea, sorry for bad English.

Tl;DR: spell that costs 70-130rp, does "heavy" aoe damage based on rp used with additional effects based on deep blood/frost/unholy talents.

Re: Aoe RP dump

it's because we have aoe spells that require rp and big hitting spells that chew up all our rp

they are called Summon Gargoyle, Dancing Rune Weapon, and Frost Strike

now granted none take the whole bar out in one swoop anymore, but they are expensive
    Garg is heavy aoe. DRW does massive burst for a while. frost is more sustained dps but still hits pretty hard for it's cost and it's constantly used

also keep in mind that all 3 dps specs would pick up butchery and be able to use carrion swarm every dump rotation. this would nullify the use of most talents that buff death coil and frost strike including the frost strike talent itself.

it would make DKs more than a little overpowered since butchery allows us to cast it every dump session. and having it basically serve the purpose of a third cooldown after IBF and tree cooldown would make us OP as tanks as well.

good thoughts, i like the creativity. i'd like to see some more ideas like this
    “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    They're greedy soulless monsters for not handing me everything for my 15 moneys a month!

Deleted

Also, to be fair, we are already one of (if not) the best aoe class in the game. Adding new spells to that arsenal would be abit much.

Nice idea tho fella

How about we just bring the old Unholy Blight back?

Quote Originally Posted by Roxix
    How about we just bring the old Unholy Blight back?
    It seams everyone else in this thread has Alzheimer's or is new to DK's.

Unholy Blight Rank 4
    Runic Power
    Instant
    A vile swarm of unholy insects surrounds the Death Knight for a 10 yard radius. Enemies caught in the area take 48 Shadow damage per sec. Lasts 20 sec.
    Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    @Wingwraith: You can haz a point too, but only because you admit you're a tool!

We already have three baseline aoes, we don't need more.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiira
    We already have three baseline aoes, we don't need more.
    Three?

Blood boil, DND, ???

Pestilence does a disease spread, that's not really an AOE though, as it does no damage itself. Corpse explosion and howling blast are talented. Army of the Dead only targets your target. What's the third?

Quote Originally Posted by Wingwraith
    It seams everyone else in this thread has Alzheimer's or is new to DK's.

Unholy Blight Rank 4
    Runic Power
    Instant
    A vile swarm of unholy insects surrounds the Death Knight for a 10 yard radius. Enemies caught in the area take 48 Shadow damage per sec. Lasts 20 sec.
    They refer to it as the old unholy blight cause it changed. You just linked the old unholy blight. Here's a link how it works currently:

http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=50536

Quote Originally Posted by jai151
    What's the third?
    Pestilence, yes it counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayden
    They refer to it as the old unholy blight cause it changed. You just linked the old unholy blight. Here's a link how it works currently:

http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=50536
    Yeah, I'm aware that I posted the old Unholy Blight...
    I posted it because there was all this discussion asking for pretty much the exact same thing that we previously had and was taken away from us...
    Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    @Wingwraith: You can haz a point too, but only because you admit you're a tool!

Corpse Explosion is an AOE RP dump. ;D

Pestilence, yes it counts.
    Not without both diseases already up on your current target it doesn't. In fact, the game doesn't count it as an AOE, since disease damage from it isn't reduced on faction champs.

Not to mention, it doesn't help the issue alluded to in the OP, tanks getting AoE aggro. Since it takes a tic to start doing its damage, it does nothing to shore up the DK weakness. An add group coming in the middle of a fight, even getting tagged by pestilence, will go kill your healer. And all you can do is grab them one at a time and pray.

Interaction with diseases doesn't make pestilence not an aoe, it can be used to put dots on all targets in an area therefore it is an aoe. It used to do damage anyway. Warlocks can't use conflagrate unless immolate or shadowflame is on the target, does not make conflagrate not a single target ability? No it doesn't.

As for faction champions, death and decay doesn't have it's damage reduced there either, but heart strike does. I guess this makes heart strike an aoe and death and decay not one?

I agree about tanks and initial threat on mobs though, removing the damage from pestilence in the first place was a bad idea.

Interaction with diseases doesn't make pestilence not an aoe, it can be used to put dots on all targets in an area therefore it is an aoe. It used to do damage anyway. Warlocks can't use conflagrate unless immolate or shadowflame is on the target, does not make conflagrate not a single target ability? No it doesn't.

As for faction champions, death and decay doesn't have it's damage reduced there either, but heart strike does. I guess this makes heart strike an aoe and death and decay not one?

I agree about tanks and initial threat on mobs though, removing the damage from pestilence in the first place was a bad idea.
    Conflagrate does damage, pestilence does not. Unholy blight used to do AOE damage, now it doesn't, is it still an AOE? Honestly, pestilence is more a timesaver than an AOE, as it does nothing you couldn't do by just tab targetting and applying diseases.

On faction champs, really? I had no idea DnD did full damage. Not that you can really get them grouped up and still to take advantage of it anyway. As for Heart Strike, I'm pretty sure they fixed that while ToC was still current.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Vodamn
    This.
    "Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

Nab Disco Priest | Nab DK Tonk

Quote Originally Posted by Deadkipper
    This.
    Corpse Explosion is also a talented ability, and has a 5 second cooldown, thus not a "dump"-ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Vodamn
    Quote Originally Posted by Alduria
    Corpse Explosion is also a talented ability, and has a 5 second cooldown, thus not a "dump"-ability.

Not to mention it requires a friggin corpse to already be there!

Make it work off corpse dust and people might actually spend the point in it.

Conflagrate does damage, pestilence does not. Unholy blight used to do AOE damage, now it doesn't, is it still an AOE? Honestly, pestilence is more a timesaver than an AOE, as it does nothing you couldn't do by just tab targetting and applying diseases.
    It's an AOE effect no matter how you slice it. It doesn't do AOE damage, no.
    As for it being a 'timesaver'.. What is an AOE if not that? AOEs don't do anything you couldn't do just tab targeting and nuking individuals.

The point comes down to this: AOEs are primarily about affecting a group, which pest does. They are secondarily about increasing efficiency/rate of DPS on a group, which pest also does.

On topic, Blizz has said in a recent blue that changes are coming to how we are tied to our runes and RP, so I'm not sure we can talk meaningfully about ability costs beyond the Cata horizon. For the current game, though, 70-100(130) RP is just not an ability I see being used much. Blood I think could stockpile RP enough to get use out of it, but it would have to be an enormous AOE boost to see it creep into frost or unholy. Neither of those specs really needs an AOE buff. Not sure what Blood's AOE is like these days, but I'd be surprised if it needs much of a buff either.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbimojo
    It's an AOE effect no matter how you slice it. It doesn't do AOE damage, no.
    As for it being a 'timesaver'.. What is an AOE if not that? AOEs don't do anything you couldn't do just tab targeting and nuking individuals.
    Never argued that it wasn't an AoE effect. I argued it was not an AoE damage source. Which it is not. Targeted nuking vs AOE nuking doesn't compare, as it's different spells with different effects. This is taking an effect from another spell and copying it to another mob.

Never argued that it wasn't an AoE effect.
    You never argued that it wasn't an Area of Effect effect?