Thread: Free Virus?

Free Virus?

I am routinely getting a popup offering a free virus scan. Usually these popups install viruses not remove them. Could someone please check on this.

Re: Free Virus?

That "free virus scan" is the virus. They are a pain in the ass to get rid of. Download Malwarebytes and Spyboy Search & Destroy, open the computer in safe mode, and run those. It should work. If not figure out the name of the virus, google the registry key for it, go to start > run > regedit, and find it and delete it. Warning though, fucking with the registry can really screw up your computer if you don't know what you're doing. It is the backbone of your computer, and you get no warning pop-ups because it assumes that if youre in the registry, you know what you're removing.

Good luck to you.

Edit: Forget malwarebytes and spyboy, download Combofix, it's a billion times better, I just remembered it.

You have to run Combofix in safe mode, you do know how to open a computer in safe mode right?

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx
    Yeah, that's kinda the oldest trick in the book. I bet it asks you to pay for it before it'll "remove" any of them too.
    That actually does work lol. What you are paying for is the program that actually removes the virus. It's one big scam

I think he's saying that he's getting the popup on MMO, and that the advertising monitor-ers or whatever should look into it.

Use a program called Spybot to get rid of stuff like that.

Protect your Caterpillar from Kimbo Slice!

10+ Year Old Account

I remember my grandmother falling for that.

It took me forever to try to clean that mess up, but I gave up and reinstalled Windows XP on her computer.

I'm just a fan of a brand new wiki: pcgamingwiki.com
    A one stop place to help you get your favorite PCGames not only running on your machine, fix issues you might have, find the latest patches from the developers or fans, and more.
    It's a brand new site, so help out by contributing.

Quote Originally Posted by Krypper
    I think he's saying that he's getting the popup on MMO, and that the advertising monitor-ers or whatever should look into it.

Yes, this is what I meant.

If only there were a Feedback forum, and if only it had a sticky about ads.