Good Day all.

Okay so i am getting this pc for me, all i want to know is my PSU
    gonna be good for this system or should i change it, what would
    all your experts say

My mobo is

ASUS Intel P55, LGA1156, P7P55DLE
    Core i5-750 Core LGA1156 2.66GHz 8Mb Cache
    2GB DDRIII-1600 Hyper-X (Kingston) times 3
    1TB-7200RPM 32MB Cache SATA II (Seagate)
    HD5870/G/2DIS/1GD5/A - ASUS ATI Radeon HD5870, 1GB DDR5, 256bit (HDMI+2xDVI+ Display Port +VGA (using a converter) - PCI-Express
    24" WIDE LCD, 1920 X 1080, 2ms (GTG), 70000:1 Contrast Ratio, Analogue/DVI/HDMI, Tilt Stand, MagicBright3, Rose Black
    Cooler Master RC-922M HAF 922 Mid Tower Chassis.
    i am not yet decided on a better cpu cooler, but i most prob wont overclock my cpu as i have no exp with that
    oh yes the os will be win 7 64bit, so here is the PSU i have
    Gigabyte 585 atx 12v 2.2 & eps 12v, will this one be fine or not???

also i did use the extreme power suply cal site and acording to that the PSU i have is fine
    i will be getting my new mobo next week, just want to know if the PSU i have is good for the new system
    or not???

Thanks in advandce for all ur input and advice.

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Will this PSU work?

Quoting Guru3D:

The card requires you to have a 500 Watt power supply unit at minimum if you use it in a high-end system. That power supply needs to have (in total accumulated) at least 40 Amps available on the +12 volts rails.
    Your power supply appears to be a dual-rail (16/18A) PSU. That brings you up a little short of the 40A required. I'd probably suggest looking into a new power supply, such as the Corsair 650TX. That PSU has a solid single 12V rail at 52 amps. Also, it will give you a bit of growing room both in wattage and amperage in case you decide to upgrade later.

I was just about to reply in the other thread...

The PSU you have now has good wattage but ridiculously low amperage on the 12v rails. 16+18 amps for a dual 12v rail 585W PSU is extremely low. With that being said, I would look into a single 12v rail Corsair, Antec, or Thermaltake PSU that has at least 40A on the 12v rail because the PSU you have now will probably not be good enough for your system.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

Hi All.

Thank you verry much for the replies and your great advice.

I live in South Africe and its 10:15pm here now
    so i will go tommrow and have a look at a new PSU

one thing i think is getting something like a 750-800w 12v single rail PSU
    in case i do a nother upgrade in the futer(soz for wrong spelling), so would you all
    advice this???

Thanks alot for the replies.

750W would be more than enough, but wattage is not the most important factor. You should also pay attention to the brand name, how many amps it has on the 12v rail(s), and how many rails the PSU has. For a build like yours, I would recommend at least 40A on a single 12v rail. If you want room for expansion, then go for 55-60 amps on a single 12v rail.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by nwo
    750W would be more than enough, but wattage is not the most important factor. You should also pay attention to the brand name, how many amps it has on the 12v rail(s), and how many rails the PSU has. For a build like yours, I would recommend at least 40A on a single 12v rail. If you want room for expansion, then go for 55-60 amps on a single 12v rail.
    I agree with this statement completely. Figure that 55-60 amps on a single 12V rail would cover dual 5870's in Crossfire. So if you plan to upgrade by simply adding a second card later (which is not necessarily the best choice as far as WoW is concerned), that's something to look at.

Again, to re-iterate what nwo said, the four most important things to look for in a PSU are (in no particular order):

• Brand Name (Corsair, Antec, etc)
    • Wattage (in your case, probably 600W+)
    • Number of 12V rails (single rail preferred)
    • Amperage across the 12V rail(s) (in your case, 40A+)

Thanks again guys.

I will look today for a new PSU and post it here for all you to comment on, if it will suite my new mobo.\

Thanks again for all your replies.

Speak to you guys later.

Good ady again guys.

Okay i have some qeustions

http://www.technologydirect.co.za/pG...er-Supply.aspx

in the link to this PSu how do you tell the amps on a psu, i know this one is not single
    12v rail but if i get a single v12 rail how am i gonna know what the amps are on it
    as i do want to get a something like a 750 w single 12v rail PSU with like 50amps, just dont know
    how to look for the spec's

Any help will be much apreciated??

Kind Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Nerotoxin
    in the link to this PSu how do you tell the amps on a psu, i know this one is not single
    12v rail but if i get a single v12 rail how am i gonna know what the amps are on it
    as i do want to get a something like a 750 w single 12v rail PSU with like 50amps, just dont know
    how to look for the spec's

Any help will be much apreciated??

Kind Regards
    At the bottom of the page there's a chart, it says under the +12v rails:
    Two rails at 25Amps(300watts@12volts)
    Two rails at 18 amps(216?watts@12volts)

I'll break this down fairly simply, most power supplies from no name brands (Logisys, sunbeam...) are rated at high wattage, they're overspecified with high numbers. Overspecified power supplies are generally made with poor parts and have low capacities to maintain their rated wattage continuously, or simply aren't even able to reach that rated wattage.

Modular power supplies let you remove unused cables, and whatnot, but they're known to degrade faster over time and occasionally you may find yourself buying replacement cables (If you're going for a matching theme this will probably annoy you)

Multi-rail PSU's are generally becoming harder and harder to find, and when you do find them they're at very reduced prices, the reason for this is they're fairly difficult for a new builder to balance their power especially when some power supplies will not allow you to combine power from various rails (Cheap brands for example might have two rails at 18amps, if your video card needs 24amps you're out of luck) so most well known name brands are trying to go back to single rail design where instead of two rails at 18amps you're getting one at a combined amperage of 36amps.

Keep in mind this is just an example, most single rail PSU's have upwards of 40amps on one rail.

And now for a bit more math on that specific PSU you linked:
    18amps *2 = 36amps
    25amps *2 = 50amps
    Total = 86 amps
    12 * 86 = 1036watts

Obviously that's higher than the rated capacity. What that means is one of the rails is going to be severely underbudgeted for power if each rail is at full capacity and won't perform to the full 18 or 25 amps (This is why it says total of 62amps which as the chart indicates is actually 744watts)

12 * 62 = 744watts

In conclusion: Don't buy a modular PSU if you can avoid it, and don't buy multiple rail PSU's if you can avoid it. That Odin 800w will work, but you might have trouble as a new builder figuring it out.
    That's my advice to a new builder.
    Anyone else thinking this website he's buying from is an absolute mess?

A bit of searching an price comparisons led me to this website:
    http://www.digitaladdiction.co.za/co...-12v-624w.html

That PSU is rated at 650watts max on a single 12v rail at 52amps, it should be slightly more than enough than you need

But... If you feel the need for assurance that it will be enough:
    http://www.digitaladdiction.co.za/co...-12v-720w.html

This website is significantly cheaper than that website, and it has Corsair, my personal favourite brand for power supplies
    Errors using inadequate data are much less than those using no data at all. - Charles Babbage

Nice recommendations none. I can't believe that crappy Gigabyte PSU costs almost twice as much as a 650TX.

So back to the OP, either one of those two Corsair PSUs will suit your needs. If you are looking for room to expand in the future, then go with the 750TX. It has plenty of power for future expansion.

Hi All
    @None
    Thank you very much in explaining all that info for me and getting that site links
    I have decided to go with the tx750w just in case I upgrade soon again

Like all the other poster’s said u can’t go wrong into buying a good PSU
    So now my new mobo will look like this

HD5870/G/2DIS/1GD5/A - ASUS ATI Radeon HD5870, 1GB DDR5, 256bit (HDMI+2xDVI+ Display Port +VGA (using a converter) - PCI-Express
    24" WIDE LCD, 1920 X 1080, 2ms (GTG), 70000:1 Contrast Ratio, Analogue/DVI/HDMI, Tilt Stand, MagicBright3, Rose Black
    Corsair TX750w
    I am not yet decided on a better CPU cooler, but I most prob wont over clock my CPU as I have no exp with that.
    Oh yes the os will be win 7 64bit.
    This will be my first pc built as well so it will be an interesting next month for me
    As I have to wait for my pay check to come in at the end of the month
    Thanks again for every one who contributed to this post, you all made
    My life easier and saved me allot of money.
    I will keep you all update on how the build goes, any further recommendations on this build are
    Welcome?

You won't need to upgrade the stock cooling that comes with your CPU unless you plan on overclocking.

If load times are important to you, then I would suggest that you get a 40 or 80GB SSD drive as your primary drive for your operating system and the application you use the most often. If your budget doesn't allow it but you still want to go for it, then you could save a lot of money by getting a 5770 instead of the 5870 and you could probably get an 80GB SSD with the money you saved.

Quote Originally Posted by nwo
    You won't need to upgrade the stock cooling that comes with your CPU unless you plan on overclocking.

If load times are important to you, then I would suggest that you get a 40 or 80GB SSD drive as your primary drive for your operating system and the application you use the most often. If your budget doesn't allow it but you still want to go for it, then you could save a lot of money by getting a 5770 instead of the 5870 and you could probably get an 80GB SSD with the money you saved.
    If you've only ever used a HDD an SSD will probably blow your mind.
    Errors using inadequate data are much less than those using no data at all. - Charles Babbage

Hi all.

Now with the system that i am getting will i be able to play wow and the new exp of wow at full graphics
    or the best settings??

Also will it be good system for sc2 and diablo 3??

regrads.

Hi all.

Now with the system that i am getting will i be able to play wow and the new exp of wow at full graphics
    or the best settings??

Also will it be good system for sc2 and diablo 3??

regrads.
    Well the system you are getting is pretty high end, it's almost the best that money can buy. So I bet that you would be able to play WoW at full settings and you will not have any problems playing sc2 and diablo 3.

Cool Thanks alot for the reply.

I am getting it at the end of the month, and then 2 months saving cash for me 2 buy a 120 gig SSD
    wich will have windows 7 64bit and wow on it.

Cool Thanks alot for the reply.

I am getting it at the end of the month, and then 2 months saving cash for me 2 buy a 120 gig SSD
    wich will have windows 7 64bit and wow on it.
    120gb is a little overkill in my opinion. A 40GB drive would suit your needs fine, but I would recommend 80gb in case you want to throw some other apps on there. I would not go with anything other than 40 or 80gb right now because it is expensive. These things are going to become a lot more mainstream fairly soon and we will see their capacity rise and prices per GB will fall quite a bit.

Good day guys.

Okay so i have gotten all my parts now for my pc posted in this thread.

This is aswell my first pc built, so bear with me.

I have instaled the chip, chip cooler ram, 3d card, psu, hdd ssd and so..

I have one problem, i have the corsair tx750w and the 3d card is radeon hd 5870
    on the back of the card it has 2 power conecters, now do i use both of them or only one of them
    i think only one as i have one 12v rail from the psu??

Kind Regards.

15+ Year Old Account

Use both 6-pin connectors.

Good day All.

So i got all i needed for my new rig

Corsair TX750w

I installed everything last nite, this was my first ever built, and wow it worked
    loaded windows 7 64bit ultimate, loaded the latest catalest controll center
    the mobo driver's, haven't tested any games yet will do this weekend.
    How ever one thing how does the Turbo-v work on the chip and motherbord?
    is it like over clocking or what??

Kind Regards. :