Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Will this PSU work?

Turbo boost disables one core at a time and if I am not mistaken, it increases the multiplier by 1 for each core you disable. So yes, it is like overclocking except that it is pretty safe since power consumption and heat do not go up like they would with traditional overclocking.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

Cool thanks alot, so what speeds am i looking at if i use turbo-v

cause the i5-750 is 2.66 stock??

Is it good to use, and when should i use it???

Quote Originally Posted by Nerotoxin

I can't tell you from personal experience but only from speculation. It would be good to use when you are using games or applications that cannot use more than 1 or 2 cores. Therefore, the other 2-3 cores are pretty much going to waste. By disabling them, you are increasing the clock speed on the remaining 1-2 cores in use which results in a performance increase. Nothing too significant, but it depends on the situation.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by nwo
    Turbo boost disables one core at a time and if I am not mistaken, it increases the multiplier by 1 for each core you disable. So yes, it is like overclocking except that it is pretty safe since power consumption and heat do not go up like they would with traditional overclocking.
    Turbo Boost increases core speed for cores 0 and 1 if cores 2 and/or 3 are idle. It doesn't actually disable anything, but rather only kicks in if the last 2 cores are idle.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerotoxin

It's enabled by default and the chip will self-regulate. The i5 750 will go up to 3.2GHz if 2 cores are idle.

I can't tell you from personal experience but only from speculation. It would be good to use when you are using games or applications that cannot use more than 1 or 2 cores. Therefore, the other 2-3 cores are pretty much going to waste. By disabling them, you are increasing the clock speed on the remaining 1-2 cores in use which results in a performance increase. Nothing too significant, but it depends on the situation.
    The problem with Turbo Boost in this case is that WoW will utilize all four cores. Usage on my system is typically 70/30/30/70% while playing WoW with FireFox, PuTTY (for my SSH tunnel), WinAmp, and HydraIRC active and Avira, Malwarebytes, Core Temp, Xfire, ObjectDock, PlayOn, Fraps, Steam, and my VNC Server open in the system tray. My usage with the same, minus WoW, is typically under 5% per core.

Is there a way to manually enable turbo boost to your preference? Or could it only be done automatically?

15+ Year Old Account

Is there a way to manually enable turbo boost to your preference? Or could it only be done automatically?
    You could set WoW's core affinity in task manager to cores 0 and 1, and then hope that no other background processes use cores 2 and 3. Or set every process's affinity to cores 0 and 1.

Really, though, since the i5 750 only turbo boosts to 3.2GHz, the better option is to put a real heatsink on it and just clock it up to 3.2GHz permanently. It will go to 3.0-3.2GHz without any strain at all.