Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    High Overlord Within's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    141

    Re: Am i a cheap bastard if i have 40k gold in the bank but

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkskeleton
    The sooner you spend your gold the sooner you have to go and farm more. Do you really enjoy doing dailies or mining ore for more gold? If you don't like farming gold, it's completely justifiable to not buy epic gems instead of rare gems.
    And you're in this thread discussion what exactly? To make people say "Good boy, saving money is good!" and then pat you on the back?


    Though, gratz to the attention.
    Zhezl - Level 90 Mistweaver Monk.
    Do you really not know anything about how businesses run? What, do you think Blizz is ran by 30 people - 15 of them are working on WoW, 10 of them on SC2, 4 on Diablo, and a retarded donkey worked on this app for a few months? Do you also think that hamsters power their servers and when they get tired, all the servers crash?

  2. #22

    Re: Am i a cheap bastard if i have 40k gold in the bank but

    If you have 40k gold and won't splurge on an epic gem, now you know why you have 40k gold.

  3. #23

    Re: Am i a cheap bastard if i have 40k gold in the bank but

    well i honestly don't know since i'm torn between the 2 which is why i asked to the people saying this is just for attention. not sure if anyone know where you are but this is a forum and we discuss trivial things sometimes ":P i never bragged about how much gold i have and actually told everyone here how to make it easy(honor dailies/wg gem turning + alchemyxmutes) a long time ago and that is honestly how i made this much just from wotlk. thing is i still think 250g is kind of a lot. don't forget to factor in how long before new gear/season/expansion comes out. i didn't think about my ilvl factor which you guys are right should be a big consideration but i'm currently max honor geared and only plan on upgrading honor items if more come out. i'm not pve'ing right now.

  4. #24
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    In my head... All the time
    Posts
    118

    Re: Am i a cheap bastard if i have 40k gold in the bank but

    Quote Originally Posted by row
    You could not be more wrong if you tried, so lets take fight like Festurgut10 and say that your running 2 tanks 3 healers 5 DPS. Suddenly that 50 DPS slacking from each of your DPS classes becomes 250 raid DPS, 5 min enrange timer that works out at 750k Which is almost 8% of the bosses health.

    8% of a bosses health wont be a deciding factor in a kill?

    ...Suddenly doesn't sound so ''practical'' to me.
    50 dps is being very generous. And your off by a factor of 10 anyway, 250 dps x 300 seconds is 75k.

    Secondly, you want to make up that 50 dps? Go kill a boss and upgrade a piece of loot, if its a good upgrade the dps would be made up right there. Grats you just saved yourself 2000 gold per set of gear in gems, enjoy your 10+ hours of your life that you didn't have to spend wasting on gold farming.
    Count Off! 1! 1! 1! 1! 1! 1! 1! 1!

  5. #25
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    856

    Re: Am i a cheap bastard if i have 40k gold in the bank but

    Quote Originally Posted by row
    You could not be more wrong if you tried, so lets take fight like Festurgut and say that your running 2 tanks 3 healers 5 DPS. Suddenly that 50 DPS slacking from each of your DPS classes becomes 250 raid DPS, 5 min enrange timer that works out at 750k Which is almost 8% of the bosses health.

    8% of a bosses health wont be a deciding factor in a kill?

    ...Suddenly doesn't sound so ''practical'' to me.
    /agree

    I have this issue in my FnF Casual guild we raid once a week and i have had them appear to raids with Gear Un-Enchanted/Gemmed because "I'm going to replace it <fill in the blank>" then when we wipe on content at 2% people get upset when they are called out on it. Your doing a huge disservice to your fallow raid members if you show up to a raid unprepared that includes proper enchants/gems/consumables.

    Also really 40k Gold is going to be worth less in Cata because there is more gold in the game then ever. I remember when people thought 20k gold was a lot.. Wrath came out and there was BoE epics we sold for 10-15k for a single il200-213 item. The money is worth more now then it will be in the future. If Hilts sell for 20k now you can expect the starting price of items in Cata to be 15-25k, all sudden that 40k seems pretty worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimlor
    Deleted half the thread and gave someone a well deserved ban.

    Ladies and Gentlemen, this forum is NOT grammar school, this forum IS a gaming community. We ask everyone to post in their best-as-possible English.

    We do NOT want to see people getting bashed for poor English writing skills. I read the OP's post and I understood him perfectly fine if I put some effort into it. If you are unwilling to put effort into reading a post, please don't put effort in writing your unwanted opinion about it's grammar/spelling/choice of words.

  6. #26

    Re: Am i a cheap bastard if i have 40k gold in the bank but

    Aaaaand what are you saving for?

  7. #27

    Re: Am i a cheap bastard if i have 40k gold in the bank but

    What reason is there to save the gold for except enhance your character? Spend the 200g on the 4 haste. Its not like its gonna put a dent in your bankroll. And its not like you cant make the money back....

    Sig by: khatsoo

  8. #28

    Re: Am i a cheap bastard if i have 40k gold in the bank but

    Quote Originally Posted by soulfringe
    If you have 40k gold and won't splurge on an epic gem, now you know why you have 40k gold.

    lol

  9. #29

    Re: Am i a cheap bastard if i have 40k gold in the bank but

    Even still with all this discussion who even buys gems anymore? With uncut gems going for honor and triumph emblems there is no excuse at all.

  10. #30

    Re: Am i a cheap bastard if i have 40k gold in the bank but

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkskeleton
    The sooner you spend your gold the sooner you have to go and farm more. Do you really enjoy doing dailies or mining ore for more gold? If you don't like farming gold, it's completely justifiable to not buy epic gems instead of rare gems.
    He's got 40k gold... at most it'd cost him 2-3k to buy the gems he needs so yes he's being cheap when you consider there's really nothing to spend in game gold on other than improving your character's gear. If he only had 2-3k gold it'd be one thing, but trying to say a guy with 40k gold isn't being cheap in this case is kinda silly.

  11. #31

    Re: Am i a cheap bastard if i have 40k gold in the bank but

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkskeleton
    50 dps is being very generous. And your off by a factor of 10 anyway, 250 dps x 300 seconds is 75k.

    Secondly, you want to make up that 50 dps? Go kill a boss and upgrade a piece of loot, if its a good upgrade the dps would be made up right there. Grats you just saved yourself 2000 gold per set of gear in gems, enjoy your 10+ hours of your life that you didn't have to spend wasting on gold farming.
    20x4 for your best stat, far exceeds 50dps. Then to take loot from a guildy and not want to maximize the gear is selfish. Let someone have it to get the most out of it. That helps the guild more then your large bank account.

  12. #32
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    856

    Re: Am i a cheap bastard if i have 40k gold in the bank but

    Quote Originally Posted by Spurmwhale
    well i honestly don't know since i'm torn between the 2 which is why i asked to the people saying this is just for attention. not sure if anyone know where you are but this is a forum and we discuss trivial things sometimes ":P i never bragged about how much gold i have and actually told everyone here how to make it easy(honor dailies/wg gem turning + alchemyxmutes) a long time ago and that is honestly how i made this much just from wotlk. thing is i still think 250g is kind of a lot. don't forget to factor in how long before new gear/season/expansion comes out. i didn't think about my ilvl factor which you guys are right should be a big consideration but i'm currently max honor geared and only plan on upgrading honor items if more come out. i'm not pve'ing right now.

    Remember when Rare gems were 120g each? You probably used Green gems then...

    Cata is a LONG ways off man, The BC Beta was out for 7 months, the Wrath Beta was out for 6+ months. They are still developing Wrath content that means your looking at a min of 8-10 months before Cata. Since there will not be a New Tier of PvE content there will not be a new Tier of Arena's that means no new PvP Honor gear.

    Fail player is Fail
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimlor
    Deleted half the thread and gave someone a well deserved ban.

    Ladies and Gentlemen, this forum is NOT grammar school, this forum IS a gaming community. We ask everyone to post in their best-as-possible English.

    We do NOT want to see people getting bashed for poor English writing skills. I read the OP's post and I understood him perfectly fine if I put some effort into it. If you are unwilling to put effort into reading a post, please don't put effort in writing your unwanted opinion about it's grammar/spelling/choice of words.

  13. #33

    Re: Am i a cheap bastard if i have 40k gold in the bank but

    Do it. It adds upp, looks better, and you should make enough gold without farming to gem epics.
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7382676545570345084

  14. #34

    Re: Am i a cheap bastard if i have 40k gold in the bank but

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Spirit
    Aaaaand what do you saving for?
    maybe something cool in cataclysm? just something they may add down the line that costs money. maybe to never have to farm again? i don't think the ease of money making i have right now will last forever, probably until cataclysm which kind of drove me to log in for dailies and stuff before the rewards - market changes.

    i played since release and up until wotlk i hovered around 5k and then practically broke after buying my epic flying mount. tbh i think i'm a combo of both cheap bastard and practical. more practical tho imo...

    oh and i used to spend hours upon hours farming near Icecrown before i hit the honor gem goldmine. now it seems like so much wasted time :P

  15. #35

    Re: Am i a cheap bastard if i have 40k gold in the bank but

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkskeleton
    50 dps is being very generous. And your off by a factor of 10 anyway, 250 dps x 300 seconds is 75k.

    Secondly, you want to make up that 50 dps? Go kill a boss and upgrade a piece of loot, if its a good upgrade the dps would be made up right there. Grats you just saved yourself 2000 gold per set of gear in gems, enjoy your 10+ hours of your life that you didn't have to spend wasting on gold farming.
    Anyone with half a brain and 10k gold can make that much money over in about 3-4 hours work max by using the AH.

  16. #36
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    In my head... All the time
    Posts
    118

    Re: Am i a cheap bastard if i have 40k gold in the bank but

    Quote Originally Posted by Iosif
    /agree

    I have this issue in my FnF Casual guild we raid once a week and i have had them appear to raids with Gear Un-Enchanted/Gemmed because "I'm going to replace it <fill in the blank>" then when we wipe on content at 2% people get upset when they are called out on it. Your doing a huge disservice to your fallow raid members if you show up to a raid unprepared that includes proper enchants/gems/consumables.

    Also really 40k Gold is going to be worth less in Cata because there is more gold in the game then ever. I remember when people thought 20k gold was a lot.. Wrath came out and there was BoE epics we sold for 10-15k for a single il200-213 item. The money is worth more now then it will be in the future. If Hilts sell for 20k now you can expect the starting price of items in Cata to be 15-25k, all sudden that 40k seems pretty worthless.
    Gold barely jumped between burning crusade and wrath. Primals/Eternals sold for about 20 to 30g then, and they sell for about 20-30g now. Same could be applied to most commodities. Sure it's gone up a bit but no where near the jump between vanilla and BC. 40k gold will be worth less, but it certainly wont be worthless.

    Also, that other guys math was wrong and correcting his math would only lead to a difference of ~.8% not 8% which means it wouldn't have effected whether or not you guys wiped or not. If your doing hard modes, your in a serious guild and sure then expecting members to take the game seriously and have every tiny advantage possible is justifiable if that's how your guild roles. If your only doing normal modes though there is no reason you can't down bosses with blue gems. Hell, telling people to go read elitest jerks or something can increase there dps by thousands if they don't know how to play and gear their class properly. Worry about that before you worry about how much gold people are willing to spend on their gear. If everyone in your raid is performing at top level and is on the ball for boss abilities then you should already be a hard mode guild. Until then, forcing people to waste thousands of gold for minimal upgrades is stupid.

    Even still with all this discussion who even buys gems anymore? With uncut gems going for honor and triumph emblems there is no excuse at all.
    Not everyone likes to spend their time farming for honor or triumph emblems. And say you do have the honor or badges, by spending the honor or badges on a gem to use for yourself you're still effectively spending 200g because that's 200g you won't get from having sold the gem.

    20x4 for your best stat, far exceeds 50dps. Then to take loot from a guildy and not want to maximize the gear is selfish. Let someone have it to get the most out of it. That helps the guild more then your large bank account.
    Who has 20 gem slots? Especially without best in slot Icecrown hardmode gear (which nobody has yet)? Bottom line is it should go by guild standards, not what random people say.

    To the OP, if you don't want to use epic gems because there a waste of money, and your guild doesn't expect you to then by all means use blue gems.
    Count Off! 1! 1! 1! 1! 1! 1! 1! 1!

  17. #37

    Re: Am i a cheap bastard if i have 40k gold in the bank but

    Quote Originally Posted by Iosif

    Remember when Rare gems were 120g each? You probably used Green gems then...

    Cata is a LONG ways off man, The BC Beta was out for 7 months, the Wrath Beta was out for 6+ months. They are still developing Wrath content that means your looking at a min of 8-10 months before Cata. Since there will not be a New Tier of PvE content there will not be a new Tier of Arena's that means no new PvP Honor gear.

    Fail player is Fail

    yes i did. purples/blues are always ridiculously priced proportionally imo.

    well if thats the case looks like this will be my final set for a while then...

  18. #38

    Re: Am i a cheap bastard if i have 40k gold in the bank but

    If gold weren't so laughably easy to get I'd agree with you. Just go do some heroics or PVP in 3.3.3 and get your epic gems, lazy. Then you could sell some and get moar goldzez which is apparently so important to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemah View Post
    “When people talk about the good old days, I say to people, 'It's not the days that are old, it's you that's old.' I hate the good old days. What is important is that today is good.”
    ― Karl Lagerfeld
    FIRE GIVES ME BIGGER BLOOD SHIELDS

  19. #39

    Re: Am i a cheap bastard if i have 40k gold in the bank but

    It just shows you dont care about your char enough or want to make it the best you can...i doubt many guilds would want people like that in their ranks( aka slackers/freeloaders)
    heck why not go 1 step further and not gem it...i mean like why should you it might cost you gold and we all know that gold is ment to be saved then boast about how much you have ::)
    Sometimes you just have to stop healing some people to prove a point, if they don't listen, it's really their own fault :P

  20. #40

    Re: Am i a cheap bastard if i have 40k gold in the bank but

    I expect a follow up QQ thread about why the OP can't get anyone to invite him to raids because of his cheap gems and enchants since everyone knows 50sp is almost as good as 63sp for caster weapons and OMG berserking is over 500g and fiery is only 40g duh easy choice.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •