Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Re: Am i a cheap bastard if i have 40k gold in the bank but

What is the point of gold? Once you have epic flying, and cold weather flying, there really isn't anything to buy anymore. While you might find epic gems to be expensive, how much easier could they make it to get them? You get blue quality gems from running H Oc that (1)you can transmute to epic gems, you get (2) badges that are pretty worthless besides buying gems (once you get your "free" T9). You get tons of (3) honor for doing WG and other BGs that can be used for epic gems. If you are really bored, you can watch hulu while (4) farming ore on your miner, and ask your JC guildie to prospect it for you. That is four different ways for you to get the gems yourself, without having to go through the AH. How much easier do you need it to be?

I have over 3x more gold than you do, and I havn't farmed this entire expansion. Gold really isn't hard to come by in WOTLK. In this expansion alone, I have given away over 100,000g. Seeing as how you don't need to farm your own food in raids (feast feasts only need to be dropped by one person), and you get two flasks per lotus in WOTLK compared to one in BC, raiding has never been less expensive. You can get the 2nd best Tier gear from running heroics, so gearing up hasn't been easier than it is now.

Not putting in the best enchants / gems in 232+ gear is just disrespectful to anyone you run with. If you excuse is you don't have the gold to buy epic gems, then you are lazy. If you have the gold but refuse to buy them, then you are selfish.

If I had the choice I would not bring you to my raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkskeleton
    enjoy your 10+ hours of your life that you didn't have to spend wasting on gold farming.
    You need 10 hours to farm 2k gold???? How exactly do you farming gold? Amuse us please

If you do not spend gold on improving your gear, however slightly it might be, then what could you possibly be spending gold on that somehow carries more meaning?

No, don't tell me you're one of those people who buy vanity pets for 5k gold buyout on AH.
    Whining about WoW since closed beta.
    Retired from WoW since patch 4.0.6.

Gold barely jumped between burning crusade and wrath. Primals/Eternals sold for about 20 to 30g then, and they sell for about 20-30g now. Same could be applied to most commodities. Sure it's gone up a bit but no where near the jump between vanilla and BC. 40k gold will be worth less, but it certainly wont be worthless.

Also, that other guys math was wrong and correcting his math would only lead to a difference of ~.8% not 8% which means it wouldn't have effected whether or not you guys wiped or not. If your doing hard modes, your in a serious guild and sure then expecting members to take the game seriously and have every tiny advantage possible is justifiable if that's how your guild roles. If your only doing normal modes though there is no reason you can't down bosses with blue gems. Hell, telling people to go read elitest jerks or something can increase there dps by thousands if they don't know how to play and gear their class properly. Worry about that before you worry about how much gold people are willing to spend on their gear. If everyone in your raid is performing at top level and is on the ball for boss abilities then you should already be a hard mode guild. Until then, forcing people to waste thousands of gold for minimal upgrades is stupid.

Not everyone likes to spend their time farming for honor or triumph emblems. And say you do have the honor or badges, by spending the honor or badges on a gem to use for yourself you're still effectively spending 200g because that's 200g you won't get from having sold the gem.

i couldn't get anywhere making gold between vanilla WoW and TBC. i tried by farm AE'ing but that is so much more work than doing it a tradeskill/honor farming way like i could in wotlk. i mean i'd be like a robot for hours in some spot and barely making a couple hundred gold. really tho the biggest difference for me that wotlk brought was honor exchanges for wanted/needed epic gems + pvp daily/wg dailies. i swear anyone can do it and it surprises me more people aren't doing it and undercutting me or the market on them under 100g yet.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Alienganja
    If you have that much gold with nothing to spend it on, then you're a cheap bastard.

That's almost as bad as the people in entry level epics who refuse to gem their gear with simple green or blue cuts.
    "I'm gonna replace it soon anyways" is never a viable excuse.
    Stop being cheap and buy the damn gems, you have the gold and you have no excuse not to buy them.
    I would have put it in a slightly friendlier way; especially since each person is entitled to play the game how they want. However, whenever I meet someone who hasn't enchanted and gemmed all of their gear accordingly (yes, blue gems are fine for entry-level epics, but when you get up to iLev232 you'd better damn well have epic gems in there), then it just makes me feel as if those of us who have pushed our gear to the limit have to somewhat carry that person.

A minor difference between 16 and 20 haste, or any stats for that matter. But it is a difference and it shows that you are serious about actually pulling your weight when playing with others.

Instead of wondering if it is cheap or practical, consider actually being practical and finding the best way to get around not having to spend 200g on 4 stats.
    For the Alliance!

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Fofo
    You need 10 hours to farm 2k gold???? How exactly do you farming gold? Amuse us please
    Depending on the character, dailies, mining, or herbalism generally speaking. With everything but titanium and frost lotus being like 10g a stack these days, factoring in heavy competition for nodes, and it taking atleast 5 minutes a typical daily (some exceptions are there) 200g/hr is a perfectly reasonable estimate. That's assuming that you're totally focused. Why don't you amuse me and tell me how your consistently making 500g+ an hour?
    Count Off! 1! 1! 1! 1! 1! 1! 1! 1!

If you do any progression raiding.. then you are a detriment to your guild/group by not getting epic gems.

If you just run heroics and some onyxia/voa here and there, then sure, whatever, you aren't going to be wiping any groups with your blue gems.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account

Not cheap, just dumb if you ask me. It's monopoly money. Damn right I'm gonna buy Boardwalk if I land on it and have the money.

It's YOUR money, use it how you want it! *Sings JG ***worth song*

But anyways, if you're not a hardcore progressive content raider or even a core raider, it's not worth getting purple gems.

I get purple gems for my toons now that won't ever get to raid on the tier gear, rest I just put blue gems cause they might get replaced with each new additional instance that comes out.

All I can ask in reply is this: What would you spend your gold on anyway?

I used to worry about spending gold but it so easy to make now. In my case, I would buy epic gems, top enchants, pet food, food, flasks, 2 types of pots etc without thinking. The cost of those is minimal. My turning point with WoW gold was when it came time for me to make Shadow's Edge (for those that don't know, this item requires 25 primordials among other things), back when primordials were on average of 1700g a piece - and I couldn't use any emblems on them since I needed 4pT10 and other stuff. So it came down to spending my hard earned 30-oddk gold, and then some. So I did it, and I felt bad for all of about 5 seconds mourning the cash until I realised the answer to the question above was nothing. I would have thousands of gold and spend it on nothing at all, just see the big number. So I got my awesome axe and love it, I then made more gold, and made the crafted legs. Totalling over 50k gold easily, and yet I felt good about it. I am now sitting on a 'measly' 6k gold or so, but I'd happily spend it if something came up because otherwise the only thing my WoW gold will get spent on is repair bills.

In your case, you would need 15 gems at most. That is 15x200-250g= 3000-3750g which is less than 10% of the gold you have at the moment. Don't say how you don't want to farm etc, you'll never burn through 40k gold on repair bills. There is nothing to spend the gold you have right there on other than gear, all you might think is how you are saving 'just in case I need it', but that'll never happen since you'll think, wweeeellll it's only about 100 more ap and I don't want to spend THAT much gold on it etc. The thing you exchange your gold for is gear, and pride in your gear. I don't know about you other guys here, but when I look at my gear and compare to someone else's, and I see how much better my performance is due to working at it, I feel damn good - and I am respected because of it.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Sunstrider&cn=Run%C3%A9

Depending on the character, dailies, mining, or herbalism generally speaking. With everything but titanium and frost lotus being like 10g a stack these days, factoring in heavy competition for nodes, and it taking atleast 5 minutes a typical daily (some exceptions are there) 200g/hr is a perfectly reasonable estimate. That's assuming that you're totally focused. Why don't you amuse me and tell me how your consistently making 500g+ an hour?
    Auctioneer + AH is your friend. As I said before, if you have 10k to invest in the AH you can easily turn that over in a week real time, 3-4 hours game time at most.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by sicness
    Auctioneer + AH is your friend. As I said before, if you have 10k to invest in the AH you can easily turn that over in a week real time, 3-4 hours game time at most.
    Yeah I knew the AH was going to come up. Sure you can get rich using the AH, but you have to know what your doing and you have to be patient. Not everyone has both or even one of those. In before Jewelcrafting, which really isn't as spectacular as it used to be. Because of competition you don't always make a profit, if your really good at it you can make a fortune like one guy on my server (he basically controls the entire market). To be good at jewelcrafting you basically need to be good at playing the AH. I've done the auction house before but I couldn't say exactly how profitable it was. It was boring as hell to the point where I'd rather have it windowed and watching youtube videos while I was doing it.

Anyway I'd rather not really argue about how much gold you can make per hour. The point I'm really trying to make in all my posts is that whether or not you spend the gold to have BIS slot gems/gear/enchants is really up to the person but should have some dependency on their guild's policy so they're not letting people the guild down if they are in a serious guild. In a casual guild that shouldn't really be a problem though. To be fair, if you still disagree with this point then you should have every single piece of crafted icecrown gear that your server has the capability of producing even if it costs you thousands upon thousands of gold in Primordial Saronite because the ultimate point I'm trying to make is cost does matter, but everyone has a different threshold of where the costs outweigh the benefits (basic economics). So ultimately, if someone wants to use blue gems that's entirely their choice but there's nothing wrong with being optimal either if your willing to put the time into it.

Fair enough?
    Count Off! 1! 1! 1! 1! 1! 1! 1! 1!

Even better, you could not gem your stuff alltogether! Think of the savings!

few months ago I freshly dinged 80 on new server and I had 300 gold
    2 weeks later I had epic flying mounts, full epic gear (213+), bought darkmoon card for 4k gold, best enchants and best gems for my gear
    my points is : money comes and goes... my guild is pve guild and I wouldn't be allowed to raid if I slack because of gold issues
    if having money is fun for you than by all means stick to it, I know that in cata I'll be broke bastard once again cuz I always try to do my best (raid wise)

ps I'm pretty sure blizzard will make money making even easier in cata simply to stop gold buying for real money

I generally have about 3-400 gold on my character at any given time, cause i'm lazy.

But I have all epic gems in my main set, and mostly epic gems in my offset. Stop being cheap.

Epic gems for main character
    Blue gems for 80 alts
    Green/Perfect/blue cuts for quest greens

I know how you feel OP. Once I pass a certain point (full thousands, mostly), I hate spending gold if it puts me below that point again. But of what use are 40k Gold? Hoarding gold is pointless, really. When my warrior dinged 80 in late February, I spent about 6k Gold on epic flying, cold weather flying, skills, etc. He was at 250 Gold. Today, he is at 7k, without ever setting foot in the AH or getting money from alts - just through quests/vendoring trash & BoP epics - all BoEs went to my priest for DE'ing. He is 450 Mining/Blacksmithing with all trainer-learned lvl80 recipes, the crafted chest and bracers (+ 2pT9, 1pT10 and all the badge stuff), completely epic-gemmed, without ever getting financial support from my other 80s after dinging 80 himself.
    So I actually made all the money I spent back and more, in less than a month, just by doing what I would have done anyways. No farming involved. What I want to illustrate is that gold really comes and goes. You can hardly spend the gold coming in just by doing the odd daily quest/random heroic/etc. so refusing to even spend a tiny fraction of your gold on something as enormously useful as epic gems/enchants just doesn't make sense.

Alternatively, depending on the number of 80s you have, you can just have one of them skill up JC himself. JC is one of the easier professions to max out, especially since Thorium is now so ridiculously easy to farm in Un'goro - compared to what used to be endless farming in EPL/Silithus/WS. That's what I did: each of my chars supplies something I need so I don't have to spend gold on it: my druid is Herbs/Alch (Flasks and Potions), my priest Ench/Tailor (Enchants and spellthreads + bags), my mage Inscr/JC (glyphs and gems), and my warrior Mining/BS (for belt buckles). Synergies ftw ^^ It took some time and effort to build up, but once I was set, I have become completely self-reliant, except for LW leg-armour... but that's what guilds are for ^^ All my 80s have Epic Flight and Dual Spec, and I'm still the wealthiest by far in my guild without really trying.

Back on topic: With the ease of getting epic raw gems nowadays and the abundance of JCers, not going for the best you can get - especially if you do have the funds - is not practical, but cheap... very very cheap. :p

If you have 40k gold and really don't want to buy epic gems for your gear, noone telling you otherwise is going to change your mind. Noone is going to tell you go spend 2k of it and you still have 38k left over. You will be fixated on that 2k you just spent for 40 haste.

Honestly I don't spend 200g on epic gems either. But only because they are so easy to get without going and buying them off the AH. Every week I can spend 20 minutes in 1 WG and get 2 free gems per character. If you absolutely hate pvp and would rather claw your eyes out, I guess that is an issue.

Really I just don't know what you did to get that 40k gold that you place so much value on keeping it. Did you work really hard and farmed stuff until your eyes bleed? Will be take you another year to get up to 42k gold?

The OP is a troll anyway, but I was bored.

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account

Overall I still find the OP lace of acknowledgment that there are vary reasonable was to get gems. I looked on my Server and to Transmute and Epic Gem would cost ~60-90G per Gem if you bought the Mats straight out of the AH.

If your not willing to spend the Gold on the gems then have them made, it will take longer but you will still have it done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimlor
    Deleted half the thread and gave someone a well deserved ban.

Ladies and Gentlemen, this forum is NOT grammar school, this forum IS a gaming community. We ask everyone to post in their best-as-possible English.

We do NOT want to see people getting bashed for poor English writing skills. I read the OP's post and I understood him perfectly fine if I put some effort into it. If you are unwilling to put effort into reading a post, please don't put effort in writing your unwanted opinion about it's grammar/spelling/choice of words.

You're a cheap shit, just like me :P

I'm not progression raiding so my cheapness don't hurt anyone.