Deleted

Shadow priest tanks galore!

Well after today's tanking in VH hc as shadow, think shadow priests would be able to tank even some lowest tier raid bosses? i know threat is not that big for us, to beat hunters and warrs atleast
    EDIT: oh yeah my armory in case someone want to see lol http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...t&cn=Soppersop

Re: Shadow priest tanks galore!

Perhaps some of the bosses which do mainly magical damage. You could spec into holy to pick up their Spell Warding, meaning 25% damage reduction from magic with Shadowform, and spells can't crit from mobs so you can aviod the defence cap. Apart from that it would be a cooldown game or getting carried by your healers, as well as Misdirection spam. Shadowform has a built-in thread reduction, remember.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon
    Perhaps some of the bosses which do mainly magical damage. You could spec into holy to pick up their Spell Warding, meaning 25% damage reduction from magic with Shadowform, and spells can't crit from mobs so you can aviod the defence cap. Apart from that it would be a cooldown game or getting carried by your healers, as well as Misdirection spam. Shadowform has a built-in thread reduction, remember.
    I'm still almost overaggroing even good tanks

Quote Originally Posted by Meizor
    if a shadowpriest over aggros a tank, they're anything but a good tank. especially in your gear - i tank with two shadow priests in nearly pre-25 heroic BiS and, though they top meters, they don't top omen ever.

True, but you are wearing PVE Caster gear. If you are going to be wearing tanking gear and trinkets, it would need to be heavy on Stamina and so you will have a drop-off on other stats.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon
    True, but you are wearing PVE Caster gear. If you are going to be wearing tanking gear and trinkets, it would need to be heavy on Stamina and so you will have a drop-off on other stats.
    Basically PvP gear?

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by fabian
    Basically PvP gear?
    Yes could work, but then again threat would go wayyy down.

I have tanked VH heroic recently, tank just left group as we started the event, so we relisted for a tank and just got on with it, thinking the ret pala with RF could hold aggro. Instead I was like some sort of mob magnet, Mind Searing groups and single target nuking everything else, including bosses. The paladin healer was a healing legend keeping me up, and we cleared everything except the last trash pack and boss before a replacement tank arrived. It's all in the shields, VE and the occasional well timed Dispersion. And full T10 gear

Trust me, i've tanked enough mobs in heroics on my priest to know its not hard holding threat and not dieing in these 5mans, but raids are another story. In a raid mobs will be hitting for double your health each hit, you have no avoidance, your only cooldown is a 6second dispersion and your threat is on the lower side compared to other classes. Yes i agree that a shadowpriest can tank ranged mobs for example one of the prices on Blood prince council, and also Mimiron in phase 3, but not much else.

Let the tanks tank, and the shadowpriests dps.

Wearing my full pve dps gear I tanked the 25-man stonewatcher for ~8 hits, last of them was 28k crit with 2k overkill. Healers had no problems healing me through the ~14k hits I took. I can get crit-immune by sacrificing ~1k dps (8-9->7-8k) by equipping 2p pvp + wg trinket + belt, though I haven't tried that setup yet. In that gear I had around 30k hp raidbuffed without flask, with tank metagem+inner fire glyph I would probably lower the melee hits from 14k to around 13k or less.

Assuming slight but constant aoe damage on raid threat given by VE heals will help quite nicely. Only problem will be the first 10-ish seconds to get the damage running. Tricks+MD should remove that problem though.

And whoever said spriest should never reach tank threat, our guild ones are pretty awesome but on most of the fights I'm the next player next after them on omen. Constant ~2.5-3k hps from VE easily balances out the shadowform threat reduction, at least on fights without many adds.

resilience doesnt work against PvE mobs. so no, you can't get crit immune unless you take defence gear, which doesn't exist for cloth.
    http://files.me.com/sureshk/j0r7w6

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
    resilience doesnt work against PvE mobs. so no, you can't get crit immune unless you take defence gear, which doesn't exist for cloth.
    Are you sure of that? I'm pretty sure I've seen Shaman tanking work by stacking Resilience to make up for the shortfall in defence.

It also involves taking pure tanking items for rings, trinkets, neck and back, which is less of an option for a class that needs SP.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
    Resilience still makes you PvE-Crit immune until cataclysm.
    Samin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrana View Post
    So, what would be your reaction, if you found out, that come cata release first patch, blizzard were planning to kill everyone by sending a bear through the mail?

I was under the impression they changed it in the TOC patch, as druids were abusing it to tank ulduar hard modes like Thorim without tank switching, and Blizz got a bit pissed.

could be wrong though. I'm sure a quick google search would tell me, but I'm too lazy to find out.
    http://files.me.com/sureshk/j0r7w6

10+ Year Old Account

why does anyone who can tank a heroic think he may be a tank?

i tank heroics in cat form. why? because its boring, i outgear it EXTREMELY and its faster.
    of course you can tank naxx bosses as a spriest. because your healers will spam all their mana into you and the boss is dead in 30 seconds anyway.

i am not against the idea of trying new things, i LOVED the panzerkin vids during BC and loved shaman tanking during classic.
    but come on, a clothie tanking stuff only because he is 3 tiers above the content is just like soloing bc inistances.
    its nice,but not a big deal.
    In the end the winner is still the last man standing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd
    This is not tanking. It's just awesome healers.
    Not especially no. In heroics I've healed everything from tanking warlocks to hunter's pets to rogues popping evasion to druids tanking in feral dps spec (usually in bear form however) its incredably easy to heal in heroics if the substitute tank knows what they're doing.

My guess is whatever I've personally seen a warlock tank (which is effectively everything in heroics) an spriest could match.

As for mana I never run under 97% mana on heroics, at least doing this makes it more interesting. Shadow priest tank all you like, I just hope I'm one of those healers as just spamming mind sear/ hurricane/ holy nova as I'm bored isn't fun and if I out dps people it gets sad

this is as bad as the "I am a shaman tank" "Bring back shaman tanking"

Its all good humor and fun for 1 boss thats a faceroll, but then after that, get back to DPS'ing and let the tanks do their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Meizor

your tanks are bad , your dps warriors and hunters are also bad. spriests do not overthreat tanks.
    HTML Code:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/doomhammer/Johnish/simple

Quote Originally Posted by Oneleg
    this is as bad as the "I am a shaman tank" "Bring back shaman tanking"
    No. I miss Shaman tanking. Shamans in vanilla were actually very good 5 man tanks. My guild refused to do 45 minute runs without our Enhance tank. Old rockbiter and old ES were tons of threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd
    This is not tanking. It's just awesome healers.
    Its not even tanking with awesome healers, its the easiest heroic in the game. If I queue as healer and VH pops I just stay in shadow form and DPS full time. A shield is enough to keep any tank up, even extremely undergeared tanks.

A raid boss is an entirely different story. There are many bosses that will kill you in 1 hit, very few that wont. Maybe once the ICC buff is in full swing and you have 40k+ hp, but until that time I dont see it happening. The best you can hope for in the meantime is tanking on council, which I have already done and only really gets tricky for the initial pull and if you lose too many orbs because you arent doing it right.