Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted

Re: Ret Tanking in Heroics

I LOVE it when a paladin goes ret tanking, since usually they have pretty good gear meaning they do good dps aswell.

Sure, they require more healing than other tanks. But heroics are so insanely boring anyway, so when i get a ret tank on my resto shaman, i can't watch that much tv otherwise

And yes, my resto shaman is very good geared, so i can keep up a mage if he felt like tanking. (exagerated, but you get my point.)

I've got 41k hp unbuffed in my resto-sham gear.

I could probably tank and pwn heroics. But why should I? Do it right.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat

Do it for increased speed and increased fun.
    armory link to 41k hp kk

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Srsbznss
    while on my resto shaman, this ret pally thought he could tank as ret.

ALL of his gear was ret. not one piece of defense gear. i refused to heal him. the group refused to enter combat with him b/c they new he was going to die.

He was in mostly 251/264 gear. so his health was around 30k with buff's. But like i said, im not interested in getting a repair bill b/c some jerk off doesnt want to wait 15~mins to go as DPS.

long story short, he refused to leave, i refused to heal him. the group wanted him gone, we had to wait 15 mins to vote kick him b/c he wanted "to get back at us".

Ret Tank = 4 pissed off people in your 5 man
    That just means you are incredible selfish. Having a Ret tank speeds up the run a LOT. You either have to much of an ego to heal anything below 35k hp, you know you aren't good enough to heal him, or you want to slack by putting a earth shield on a 50k hp tank now and then. Get over your elitist attitude.

I've tanked every heroic there is, minus the ICC ones as Ret. I have NEVER gotten ANY Complains from either the healer or the dps in the group, in fact, after last boss they say "Awesome and fast run", and give me props for tanking it in ret gear. Of course I thank the healer for keeping me up.

There is NO downside to having a Ret tank other than the fact the healer has to actually cast some heals. So please, just stop.

Oh, and heroics came out at the start of wotlk. Thats what, 4 tiers ago? Get over yourself.
    Hi

ugh, if you have icc level ret gear you can easily tank it with sword and board (with a decent healer you can prolly tank with a 2hander aswell). SoC and consecration will be plenty aoe threat anyhow, so unles you're carrying 3 other 1k dps newbies everything'll die before it goes off you or lands more than 1-2 hits on you, so the damage should be far from too bad.

It's very possible.

Friend of mine is a fury warrior and he tanks heroics for us all the time. Ret got almost as much aoe damage, -50% damage for 12 secs, self heals...

Some people might complain it's hard on healers, but i'll tell you, healing is not an issue when bosses drop in 5 seconds.

It can be done..

Last night I wanted to do a quick random heroic on my Rogue, My well geared guildie Druid, Resto/Feral Bear said he'd help and rolled tank.

Well turns out, we had an awful Pally healer, which wiped us on the trash to the first boss in AN (I kid you not). My Druid guildmate said...well pally go Ret, and I'll heal with no tank.

It was a blast, cleared the rest of AN with no wipes.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat

Even if you're right, you couldn't hold anything on you and would make things slow and miserable for the group while a ret tank speeds things up and makes it fun for everyone (except the healer maybe:P). No one ever gets aggro like that and you usually spend 5-10s on a pack like that.

My ret has more health in partial tank gear than most tanks I get in the LFD tool.

I get enough defense so as to not be a burden (rings/neck/boots/cloak). Then just SoC + RF my way to victory. No mana problems. No aggro problems. No down time.

And whomever said your threat would be lower is absolutely insane. ret spec + shadow's edge + SoC + RF = like 14000 TPS for me.

You "should" be able to tank any Heroic easily as Ret except the three "new" Icecrown Instances. Those tend to be a challenge and you pretty much need an amazing healer to pull off Ret tanking there. Any other Heroic is a joke though for Ret tanking.

all it requires is a bit of competency on the part of the ret pally and the healer.

I have a pally friend that when we run our heroics (short of ICC heroics) he'll heal, as ret. I'll tank it, and his instant FoL are plenty enough to keep me up, not to mention how much faster mobs die.

Ps. The combination of a ret tank / ret healer, probably not a good idea.

Yes, I'm still level 80. No I don't have cataclysm.

Its fairly easy to get 460 resil as well to get uncrittable and then throw a couple stam gems in pvp gear and mabey some stam trinkets for a decently large HP pool. Then all that has to happen is your healer has to make sure to know that you are only going to have 5% parry and dodge so basically every hit is going to smack you and you will need a constant amount of heals.

But yes, i did it in full pve ret gear with my disc priest friend healing me, the two of us would que up and blow through instances in 10 or so minutes.

15+ Year Old Account

I can tank as ret no problem, but in Randoms i dont feel like explaining what I'm doing and then convincing 4 others that its fine.

What I did instead is swapped out a few pieces of tank gear for ret gear, grabbed an old shield and put a spike on it, grabbed an old weapon and put beserking on it. I remained at 535 defense, but I got a bunch of crit(for a tank), SoCommand and blow shit up. I do more dps than I would in my normal tank setup, yet still uncrittable and 35k HP. Its less boring for healers, plus i can do some good dmg. Glyph of AS can do some good dmg too, but i dont swap out my glyphs.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rytoz/advanced

If there's one thing I'm not, it's in control.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Srsbznss
    while on my resto shaman, this ret pally thought he could tank as ret.

ALL of his gear was ret. not one piece of defense gear. i refused to heal him. the group refused to enter combat with him b/c they new he was going to die.

He was in mostly 251/264 gear. so his health was around 30k with buff's. But like i said, im not interested in getting a repair bill b/c some jerk off doesnt want to wait 15~mins to go as DPS.

long story short, he refused to leave, i refused to heal him. the group wanted him gone, we had to wait 15 mins to vote kick him b/c he wanted "to get back at us".

Ret Tank = 4 pissed off people in your 5 man
    You would think with you having 4 healing classes all level 80 you would have grasped the concept on how to heal just about every type of player, Apparently that is not the case as others have said Ret can tank every Heroic short of the new Icc Heroics those can be dangerous as Ret. Don't listen to this guy he has no idea what he is talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Can you imagine if someone insulted you in a thread, you reported it, and I told you "sorry, wrong thread to be butthurt"?

Quote Originally Posted by Varius
    Its fairly easy to get 460 resil as well to get uncrittable and then throw a couple stam gems in pvp gear and mabey some stam trinkets for a decently large HP pool. Then all that has to happen is your healer has to make sure to know that you are only going to have 5% parry and dodge so basically every hit is going to smack you and you will need a constant amount of heals.

But yes, i did it in full pve ret gear with my disc priest friend healing me, the two of us would que up and blow through instances in 10 or so minutes.
    didn't they fix resil so it doesn't work in pve anymore ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoopie
    this change is to help players like you..... you know..night elf with tyrannical beheader...

Azharok - Dalaran EU

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Azharok
    didn't they fix resil so it doesn't work in pve anymore ?
    resilience still lower chance to get critted and thats about it