Best way to determine what gem to transmute

Should I just do the most expensive gem everyday? or make a variety of the most used gems?

Re: Best way to determine what gem to transmute

If you want to maximize profit then cut the most expensive, but it isn't guaranteed to sell the first time. So i normally do the run of the mill stuff like bold cardinal etc.
    2400 EXP Multi-Boxer On Tichondrius Alliance/Horde

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by GodTier
    If you want to maximize profit then cut the most expensive, but it isn't guaranteed to sell the first time. So i normally do the run of the mill stuff like bold cardinal etc.
    Transmute not cut... as in alchemy not jewelcrafting...

But yeah I personally do cardinal rubies pretty much everyday unless I personally need something else...

that's gonna be the best bet to make gold... Personally I just make whatever's low in the guild bank... no gold for merlin =(

Selling price Y- mats cost Z = X
    For each transmute X will be different. This is because both Y and Z fluctuate constantly due to an unstable supply and demand. If Z is 0 every day (aka your mats are free) then yes, Y = Z, so the most expensive gem will equal the most profit.
    For myself i noticed that the mats of a yellow gem tend to be a lot cheaper then the mats for a red gem. So on my server, transmuting a yellow gem actually gives more profit. About 120g for yellow vs rougly 60g for a red. This because the red (blue quality) gems tend to be quite expensive (up to 60g sometimes, average about 30ish) and eternal fire also being expensive compared to life (35g vs 12g).

TSTU (to stupid to understand): There is no certain gem that will always give u the most profit, it can change from day to day depending on AH prices. Only way to make sure u make the most profit, is to check all the AH prices for all the mats and all the gems each day.

Quote Originally Posted by ScorchHellfire
    Transmute not cut... as in alchemy not jewelcrafting...

But yeah I personally do cardinal rubies pretty much everyday unless I personally need something else...
    If you are looking what to x-mute, you are looking what to cut. Otherwise it's a moot point because the price to make cardinal rubies is more than blue/yellow gems so they will have a lower profit margin.
    2400 EXP Multi-Boxer On Tichondrius Alliance/Horde

Quote Originally Posted by Volirus
    Selling price Y- mats cost Z = X
    Shhhhhh...

OP, keep selling those red gems for 50g profit. That's the best you can do.

I always transmute the gem I use the most(blue gems in my case).

That way, if something comes up(Like I get a new piece of gear) I can still pull it off the AH and put it in my gear instead..
    It's more of a matter of convenience, really..

To maximize profit, you should look at the price to make them and then retract that from their selling price.
    For a long time, Majestic Zircons were much better for selling than Cardinal Rubies were(because the Cardinal Ruby mats were much more expensive.)