Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst

Re: Need some Advice for Tanking ICC 10/25

So tired of everyone worrying about stamina! Stamina this! Stamina that! If you really think your best in slot weapon is an arena weapon you're simply....WRONG. The saurfang axe is better then an arena weapon anyday. Reasons being that arena weapons don't have strength on them. So bye bye a little more parry rating. Sure you don't get much parry out of strength but, hey guess what! Kings gives it MOOOORE strength. So even MORE parry rating. Where as attack power only gives you better threat. And threat? Come on. If you're losing threat then your huntards aren't doing there jobs. Or the other DPS for that matter. Ok rogues... they should only be starting with tricks on the tanks that's why I didn't inculde them. Besides a DPSer should be aware of their threat and all the important DPS classes have ways of dropping their threat. Also the expertise increases your threat better then armor pen or crit. Since most of your damage i.e. threat comes from white attacks and for a blood tank heart strike.

Also! Back to stamina. Why the hell would anyone want Essence of Gossimer over the triumph badge trinket? Do people not understand that most of the damage a tank takes is from physical damage? And the armor boost from the glyph gives you higher EHP (Effective Hit Points)? And a decent on use. I have a DK in my guild. He has higher stamina then me so he's automatically the MT. Atleast when we start the pull. But on any fight where we're hitting the same boss. I always end up being the "new" MT. I have to stop attacking sometimes. And I take on average 6.3% less damage on equal share fights. When you consider he only has 4% more health then me. This of course didn't come to my intention until after the raid week was over and I will of course be addressing my raid leader on this matter. Stamina is a noobs guide to tanking. Learn to tank.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Rüster
    So tired of everyone worrying about stamina! Stamina this! Stamina that! If you really think your best in slot weapon is an arena weapon you're simply....WRONG. The saurfang axe is better then an arena weapon anyday. Reasons being that arena weapons don't have strength on them. So bye bye a little more parry rating. Sure you don't get much parry out of strength but, hey guess what! Kings gives it MOOOORE strength. So even MORE parry rating.
    Erm, yeah, well. Parry rating. The parry on the mentioned weapon would round down to 37 parry rating, which is what... 0.75% parry. Before diminishing returns. In average ICC gear, that'd be about half of that, 0.4% or so parry. Not too hot. Not even with BoK and other buffs.

I'd dare say, I'd trade 0.4% parry for 79 stamina, which also happens to scale with BoK.

Same for the expertise: if I'm at 26, the rest would be nice, but not all that useful.

Also, we were talking about dual wielding here, among other things.

Actually OP was requesting assistance to make him not suck. Which turned it's ugly head into a discussion of DW tanking. I'm not griping on DW tanking. I just don't understand why anyone would say Essence of gossimer is better then the triumph vendor trinket. It's also easier to get. The arena weapon debate is debatable. Now we're nit picking it. Which is counter productive. So I'm not going to continue to argue my decision as to why I will not be going for the arena weapon when I have ten man hard modes available. We can stroke each others epeens all day over parry vs. stam. The end of the day however is EHP beats both. And of course stamina ties in with EHP. But stacking alot of stamina isn't the way to go about getting a higher EHP. And the tank I brought up only has 7 expertise. So! That just goes to show that he doesn't know what the hell he's doing. So in conclusion. Don't do drugs and stacking stamina without mixing armor is stupid. Learn to BUFFER tank.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by mhp
    Also, we were talking about dual wielding here, among other things.
    Actually, the point of this thread was to tell the OP whether he was ready to tank 10-man ICC, which you didn't say a word about either way.

Back on topic, I would have to say the OP is ready to at least offtank the first wing in 10-man. Your health is fine, not sure what this obsession with stamina is, but yours is fine unless your raid wants you to tank both melee Blood Princes.

As far further than Saurfang, I would have to say you still have a bit of gearing up to do. Your strength is pretty horribly low, even if you start using a DPS sigil you should have at least 1400 raw strength to keep solid aggro on things. You can get more of this by switching to Blood tanking and using a 2-hander, or by switching to tank weapons, which will give you better tanking stats overall. The two weapons you're currently using give you almost no tanking stats at all, except for hit on the Black Icicle, which makes them fairly easily replaceable.

Your expertise is a bit low for dual-wielding as well, I'd work on that a bit. I wouldn't go so far as to suggest capping it out, but somewhere around 22 expertise or so is better for maintaining threat on bosses, especially at your lower strength.

Your hit is okay, you're over melee special cap with NoCS but a bit lacking for spell hit from Icy Touch and Howling Blast procs, but those aren't a terribly big deal at this point.

Your avoidance is...decent, but nothing exceptional. More parry will come with strength, however, and being Frost is a much better choice for the 3% avoidance that doesn't suffer from DR.

Your enchants are fine, stick with those, unless you really want to mess with something, then I'd say change your cloak to armor instead of agility. Reliable damage mitigation > everything, and death knights are the squishiest tanks as far as physical damage reduction.

Short version: Ready to tank up to Saurfang in 10-man, increase strength significantly and expertise moderately if you want to go further, armor = good.
    85 paladin Prot/Holy, 85 warlock Destro/Affliction, 85 priest Holy/Disc, 85 druid Feral/Resto, 85 shaman Resto/Enhancement, 85 rogue Combat/Combat, 85 mage Fire/Arcane, 85 death knight Blood/Frost, 85 warrior Prot/Arms, 85 hunter Surv/BM.

My name is Citaxis, and I'm an altoholic. My first step is admitting I have a problem. I even have the addon.

hey , i like the most HP auto MT thing
    i run frost ,so i don't need to be the MT 90% of the time ^.^

but yes, that is sooooooo suck when i OT the MT and have to stop , because the so MT is just gemming sta every where and thier threat suck ,sometimes maybe the player suck too

getting sta more than enough is stupid(well ,gemming doddge/parry/def over 540 is even stupider) , as a tank in a raid ......u should trust your healers , u don't really need all the way sta if your gear lv is enough for the encounter , trust the healers and give rooms for the DDers

if you are under gear......don't make yourself an asshole , find a lower tie raid that u can handle