Deleted

SP leveling spell rotation?

I keep hearing that SP are really fast to level. Don’t know if this it true or not. Just took up my old priest, I’m 50++ now and I think it’s painfully slow (leveled a mage, rogue, druid and lock to 80 before)

The problem isn’t mana. I rarely drink. And the spec should be ok. So I’m guessing it’s probably my spell rotation.

SO what’s the best levelling rotation now?! ???

And shadow is still the best way to go, right?

Re: SP leveling spell rotation?

Shadow is the best way to level, yes.

And there is no such thing as a "rotation". A shadow priest will have a decent speed at leveling, but it doesn't compare to e.g. a warlock. Many people think that because both classes use DoTs the style of playing them is nearly identical, which is wrong.

You may (and will) dot multiple targets, but you won't be efficient at it, neither concerning mana nor time spent. Focus on single targets, dot and fear additional targets when neccessary or if you have enough mana to do it.

It's been a while since I leveled my priest, but I think most fights went something like this:

Vampiric Touch > Shadow Word: Pain > Mind Blast > Mind Flay

With the target dying after the last tick of MF or running away and dying from dots. Some targets may need an additional MF or Devouring Plague up as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockk
    Shadow is the best way to level, yes.

And there is no such thing as a "rotation". A shadow priest will have a decent speed at leveling, but it doesn't compare to e.g. a warlock. Many people think that because both classes use DoTs the style of playing them is nearly identical, which is wrong.

You may (and will) dot multiple targets, but you won't be efficient at it, neither concerning mana nor time spent. Focus on single targets, dot and fear additional targets when neccessary or if you have enough mana to do it.

It's been a while since I leveled my priest, but I think most fights went something like this:

Vampiric Touch > Shadow Word: Pain > Mind Blast > Mind Flay

With the target dying after the last tick of MF or running away and dying from dots. Some targets may need an additional MF or Devouring Plague up as well.
    VT > SWP > MF, don't even spec improved mind blast.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by muto
    VT > SWP > MF, don't even spec improved mind blast.
    If the guy is lvl 50 he isn't sporting T10 which is when MB is debatable to drop, so MB may be worth it to him.

WoW since '06, Army wife since '09, U of MD Law

When I was leveling up, I'd typically go something like this:

From max distance, cast VT, then SWP. Mind Flay for as long as you can until it reaches you. When it gets to you, if it's nearer to dead, just MB. If it still has a good bit of life left, DP then MB. If it's still alive, Mind Flay until MB is back.

If you're facing a tougher mob (maybe an elite mob for a 2-3 person group quest or something), shield yourself right before pulling the mob.

Note - VE and Shadow Reach help a lot when leveling, so I recommend getting them when you can. There were several points (I really don't remember which content anymore) where most mobs would at about half health by the time they got to me. They tore through my cloth, but with 2-3 dots on them and then the other spells, I could often end the fight at 90-100% health.

10+ Year Old Account

Also, as a last second "oh s--t" button, if MB and SWD are on CD, remember Imp DP hits for an okay amount if you're needing to gtfo. I've killed people in PvP using it if they are far enough away but I want to keep moving. It may not be spectacular for lvling tho, just a small extra instant bang.

WoW since '06, Army wife since '09, U of MD Law

When leveling I wouldn't put to many dots on, because the mobs die pretty quick. I would open up with either VT of MB, then MF while the mob is running at you. It should be dead by the time it reaches you most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by smokeydown
    When leveling I wouldn't put to many dots on, because the mobs die pretty quick.
    Agreed, at least when I was in the level 50 range on my priest(around the beginning of Ulduar) The dot's just weren't worth putting up unless I was dotting up several mobs at a time, single target a simple MB>MF seemed to kill the mob long before it reached me and long before any DoT was able to take full effect. Only having a dot tick once or twice before the mob died was a complete waste of mana.
    3DS Friend Code: 1891-2236-0134

http://www.mmo-champion.com/class-priest/(priest)-solo-leveling-guide/

Sticky threads are amazing things

also, ignore the lvl cap speccs and builds, they are made to maximize lvl 80 dps (whatever job the class is doing) and assume the user is in fact at a certain lvl of gear (in some cases).

It also may not have to deal with your rotation but how much spell power you have. at sub-58 pre-outlands gear it took me almost a full month to lvl a mage first time through with roughly 0 spell power, more recently I burned through mobs faster than a hot knife through butter with a handful of spell power boosting items putting me around 200 (in the mid 50's)
    Signature not acceptable (e.g. too large), read http://www.mmo-champion.com/general-discussions-22/important-signatures/ - Regards, Olison

Deleted

Wow, thanks a lot for all the info! Useful stuff here. I think I can improve my rotation a bit and Outlands gear should help me pick up some pace too. I’ll take another glance at my build as well. It’s probably not all it could be. ???

This is the recomended leveling build (in the sticky here) to aim for at level 60 (-glyphs)... I'm not sure all of you would agree this is the best build though:
    http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#bZZhxcVofzfbqfzAo

Also, @ Azyoulike. Hehe... Have you read the sticky yourself? Cos I had before asking the question here… It’s good, but this is pretty much what I learned rotation-wise… Open with VT… eh… at level 20 you get Holy fire and MF, which is nice…. and eeeh… almost never use DoTs cos stuff dies too fast and use your wand a lot pre lvl 20…. Top notch advice eh? ;D

Quote Originally Posted by jacklindr
    Open with VT… eh… at level 20 you get Holy fire and MF, which is nice…. and eeeh… almost never use DoTs cos stuff dies too fast and use your wand a lot pre lvl 20…. Top notch advice eh? ;D
    Actually, it is top notch advice. If you have the wands they suggest, they do pretty crazy damage compared to the health of mobs at that level. More efficient than trying to chain cast mobs down, and faster in most cases. Once you get MF it changes a bit, but I still wanded heaps until I got up to Shadowform and VT.

Myself, I usually VT->SWP->MF->MB if its needed. The two dots rarely get full use, especially if they crit a bit, but its still easy quick damage that can easily be sustained from lvl 50 onwards. MB is useful to keep up replenishment which helps pay for the mana cost of the dots.

I think Shockks suggestion of one mob at a time is also good advice, I found that I leveled much more smoothly and quickly just working through them quickly, rather than trying to mass pull groups. This is especially true for PvP servers where you dont want to get caught low. One mob at a time left me with 100% health and mana (though the mana usually didnt fill completely until I had started on the next mob).