15+ Year Old Account

Haste -vs- Spell Power Dragon's Eye Gems

I caught myself gemming a new piece of gear last night and realised it had a Dragon's Eye in it (I put them in my first pieces of 264 gear, haven't needed to look at them since). Now, I find myself wondering "Okay, I could continue going for 39 Spell Power, but this is 'only' giving me 48 Spell Power as a bonus" and proceeded to check if I had the Haste pattern.

At the moment I put Runed in red, Luminous/Reckless in yellow and Purified for blue. How bad could it be to actually use Quick D Eye gems? I only see others Priests use Runed and I've not seen any discussion on this for ages. In my current Holy set I sit on 873 (26.62%) Haste Rating, going from using a 12 SP+10 Int/10 Haste to a 34 Haste Gem is a fair jump in stats.

Sum up: With my current set up (3564 SP with only two Dragon Eye gems at the moment, as runed, and 873 Spell Power), would it be a bigger output to have the higher Haste than the higher Spell Power?

This is all as Holy.

Re: Haste -vs- Spell Power Dragon's Eye Gems

Both SP and Haste are throughput stats.
    If you find yourself saying "if only i had more haste"
    Put a Haste gem in there.
    It doesn't really matter, neither choice is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Strykie
    Both SP and Haste are throughput stats.
    If you find yourself saying "if only i had more haste"
    Put a Haste gem in there.
    It doesn't really matter, neither choice is bad.
    I personally love having around 900 haste.
    Of course this is all different to everyone as everyone has different playstyles.

You'd have to look at the old Haste v SP debate too. If you're at a point that more SP just means more OH, than I would say use the Quick Dragon Eye.

You need to be looking at your balance of Haste and SP. Look at your self buffed SP and your haste. Your goals should be 25% haste and 4k SP. Gem for whichever goal you're further from. If you're beyond 4k SP, but under 25% haste then gem primarily haste. If you're beyond 25% haste, but under 4k SP then gem primarily SP. If you're over both then gem primarily Haste. It's a loose guideline and not a strict rule, but its the general need. Just remember that the 25% haste number is much easier to reach than the SP number (it's only 820 haste), but also that going beyond 25% haste has less drawbacks than going over 4k SP (which really does cause a lot more overhealing).

4k SP unbuffed you're saying?
    Or with raid buffs?

Nope, that's a typo. Should be 'raid' not 'self' buffed. Somewhere around 3200 unbuffed SP.

I'm dropping my Spell Power gems, because of the Icecrown buff that's freeloading my thoroughput. Haste lets me put out the same (now stronger, actually) output but faster.

I dunno, that's just my thinking lately.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

15+ Year Old Account

I think it seems weird to say that at some point a stat becomes better at another stat, but without the stats having any kind of cap. I can imagine a point where mana regeneration won't be needed anymore, since you don't feel like you go OOM, but spell power or haste shouldn't have any caps at all (well haste does with GCD, but I don't think it's achieveable with current gear as Holy Priest). So why does one of them become better than the other at some point? I am not saying, we are ignoring one stat totally, since you will always receive it through gear, but in gemming and enchanting it seems odd.

Actually passive GCD cap is very much achievable, and without 277 gear too. Ok to put it very simply ask yourself this. Do I want my heals to heal more when they land or do I want to land them faster. There really isnt much else to it. There are no magic numbers for SP as far as I know. 1 sec GCD with the buffs is 1269.