Thread: Ret DPS - Help!

Ret DPS - Help!

Hi,

I just dont understand why my retribution DPS is so low! My character is shown below

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...aenor&cn=Xesta

Im using FCFS clcret addon so my "rotation" is definatly right!

On dummies my DPS is around 3.2k. I've heard about people hitting 13k so I know its possible. What am i doing wrong.

BTW i know not all of my gear is enchanted, and i know im using pvp legs and bracers and my sword isnt strength as it should be, but please anyone!

Also no stupid comments, I genurally would like the answer to this question.

Thanks

Re: Ret DPS - Help!

First, Clcret doesn't automatically give you the best rotation for your gear. Since you have 2pc T9, you should probably tweak it so that it has Judgment before Crusader Strike.
    For example:
    Hammer of Wrath > Judgment > Crusader Strike > Divine Storm > Consecration > Exorcism

Edge of Agony isn't a particularly strong choice of weapon; if you can get the Edge of Ruin from ToC 5-man, it'll likely be superior.

You said yourself: you need to get more gems and more enchants (though I will say you've been gemming right, although you could do with putting the Nightmare Tear in something that'll give you a Strength bonus for it, and just gemming +20 Strength in the buckle socket).

The PvP gear is also a mediocre choice, although they're at least a fine starting point before getting real PvP gear - they're better than most crafted/BoE drops in the lower price ranges, after all.

You need more Hit; 263 should be the rating you aim for. You only have 202. That means you're going to want another 61 Hit Rating. Mark of Supremacy is an excellent choice that provides a boatload of Hit, and you could use it over the Vengeance of the Forsaken. That'll give you some extra Hit to work with so if you drop another piece of gear that provides Hit, you're not dead in the water, so to speak.

Even with the SoV glyph, you're not expertise capped (26). Also, you're under the hit cap (263, gem the ring/boots). It seems like you don't have a 3rd major glyph (???) and the sense undead minor glyph which increases your dmg to undead by 1%. You should've gone for 2 pc tier 10 first instead of the trinket. Try to get rid of the arp and pvp gear if you can.

hahaha I was just typing what Xiphias was typing. You beat me to it !!!!! but just do what he says and your good...What you should have done is "rent" the trinket like I do damn it I forgot to return it nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!!!!!!

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...mane&cn=Yebiga <---- thats my armory for my alt (I pull close to 5k on a dummy)

You pretty much state in your post one of the reasons why your dps is lower than you’d like it to be. Fix your gear.

I am not too familiar with clcret, but I believe you get to choose the priority list for abilities in there. Are you sure your priority list is correct? Are all your abilities included in that list?

Also, the 13k you are referring to is likely in ICC, against undead. Expect your unbuffed dps against a target dummy to be lower (but not 3.2k low..)

As someone who seldom takes their paladin outside of his holy spec, my advice is read the volumes of information available on EJ. You aren’t going to find much better information than what is already available there.

To pull of 13k single target dps, you'd have to be very close to BiS gear setup. 13k dps on trash packs is attainable with decent ICC gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoopie
    this change is to help players like you..... you know..night elf with tyrannical beheader...

Azharok - Dalaran EU

while it's been said, it is your gear that's holding you back. Hit/exp caps are very important - as well, every single gem/enchant [or lack thereof] adds up.

PvP gear = wasted stats on Resilience.

As well, a decent 2hander out of Toc5 or H Pit of Saron will be upgrades for sure. If you can, ICC first and forth "boss" fights have massive upgrades http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50761 and http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50798 respectivly

As for 13k ret dps... sure, ICC trash = crazy numbers, and most ICC geared ret's can sustain a good 7 to 10k depending on how many bosses they've seen.

I'm pulling 7.6 to 8.5 on "standstill fights". Pretty happy with that, I could probably squeeze an extra .100 or two in if I tried harder though.
    this change is to help players like you..... you know..night elf with tyrannical beheader...

Azharok - Dalaran EU

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by jwood1991
    Im using FCFS clcret addon so my "rotation" is definatly right!
    if you didnt customize the priority it is not

Quote Originally Posted by Nienniora
    if you didnt customize the priority it is not
    qft

clcret is in no way a "IWINBUTTON" you still need to know the rotation to use clcret otherwise you are just another fail retpaladin who rerolled when it was fotm.

Nienniora that is one weird retspec you have, can you enlighten me and explain why you chose that ?

Azharok - Dalaran EU

Quote Originally Posted by Azharok
    qft

clcret is in no way a "IWINBUTTON" you still need to know the rotation to use clcret otherwise you are just another fail retpaladin who rerolled when it was fotm.

Nienniora that is one weird retspec you have, can you enlighten me and explain why you chose that ?
    looks like a pretty standard spec, one pvp and one pve. which one are you talking about? 11/5/55?

Yeah the 11/5/55. I mean there are a lot of different dps specs for retribution paladins. I was just curious and see why she/he chose that specific spec.

Azharok - Dalaran EU

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

Yeah the 11/5/55. I mean there are a lot of different dps specs for retribution paladins. I was just curious and see why she/he chose that specific spec.
    Same spec I use. I don't see why you're confused.

aura mastery ftw

15+ Year Old Account

been on this spec since.. well long ago
    when bubble canceled itself and killed me with disac.. damn
    here is the math behind disac vs aura mastery
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronark
    Thats ok.

Assuming you used DS in the tank group and that you have 30k HP as a DPS, the following would happen:
    Maximum damage absorbed: 30k*0.4*5 = 60,000.

0 seconds: DG is cast
    1 seconds: Tank takes 28,000 damage (12k redirected), 6000 from Gaseous Blight is redirect as well (1500 from 4 players) (18k total)
    2 seconds: Tank takes another 28,000 damage, and another 6000 from Gaseous Blight redirected (32k total): If the paladin gets no heals, the effect stops prematurely and only prevents some damage.
    3 seconds: Tank takes another 28,000 damage, and another 6000 from Gaseous Blight redirected (54k total)
    4 seconds: Tank takes another 28,000 damage, and another 6000 from Gaseous Blight redirected: If the paladin gets heals, the effect stops here somewhere, however, only some damage is prevented.

Total amount of healing redirected: 60,000, minus the healing needed to heal the paladin, you actually prevent around 30,000 damage (You can argue that this "extra healing" can be negated with a holy paladin's Beacon of Light, but we are assuming that for any fight that beacon is being used to heal another tank, etc.).

Compare this value to the amount absrobed via AM for 6 seconds.
    Using the Resistance formula: 100% * (Resistance shown on character sheet) / (K + Resistance shown on character sheet)
    Where K is a value of 510 on level ??? (Boss) mobs.

When running base Shadow Aura, a player will on average take 20.3125% less damage.
    When running Master Shadow Aura, a player will on average take 33.7662% less damage.

Rank 1 Gaseous Blight deals 3k damage to all players every second. Over a 6 second interval with no resistances, this is equal to 75,000 damage a second for a total of 450,000 damage.

With base Shadow Aura, each player takes 2391 damage every second, for a total of 358,650 damage.
    With Master Shadow Aura, each play takes 1987 damage every second, for a total of 298,050 damage.

The damage difference is 60,600 FLAT damage reduction. Now, compare this to the 30,000 damage saved above.

Obviously, AM reduced provided more damage reduction than DSac- HOWEVER, this damage is not "controlled" like Dsac is.

The TL;DR version:
    AM is better than Dsac when you want to reduce Magical damage dealt to all Raid members within a 6 second period.
    Dsac is better to use in conjunction with a healer to provide controlled damage reduction for a specific person.

The end result, however, is that in EACH case, they BOTH provided about the same damage reduction (60k) available in this tier of gear.
    Since i dont have a pocket healer and im mostly a pugger, i prefer AM

@ Ron, i think it deserved a quote :P

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Nienniora
    @ Ron, i think it deserved a quote :P
    Good thing my Ban Hammer is over there ------> <[===]}
    And Im too lazy to get it :P ||
    ||
    ||
    ||
    V

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Ronark
    Good thing my Ban Hammer is over there ------> <[===]}
    And Im too lazy to get it :P ||
    ||
    ||
    ||
    V

ok thats scary.. but i can report you for abuse anyway.. :P

I'm actually starting to like AM more not that it has been put in numbers

Azharok - Dalaran EU