Should I see a DPS increase?

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 930 Processor (4x 2.8GHz/8MB L3 Cache)

Memory: 6 GB [2 GB X3] DDR3-1600 Triple Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 – 1GB - SLI Mode (Dual Cards)

Motherboard: MSI X58 PRO-E -- Intel X58 Chipset CrossFire and SLI Support Chipset w/8-ch HD Audio, Triple-Channel DDR3, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, 3 PCI-E MB

Primary Hard Drive: 750 GB HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s - Single Drive

This is the new computer I am buying I am just wondering if it will make any change in my dps at all on WoW or not my current computer sucks pretty bad
    im not sure the specs exactly cuz i changed alot of it but its
    80 GB hard drive
    2 gigs ddr2
    some random video card that use to be good a long time ago i forget what it is

thanks
    I dont play in a hardcore no-lifer guild, but in a 2 days a week "hardcore" mythic guild.

Re: Should I see a DPS increase?

If your old computer was giving you less than 15 FPS, then the answer is yes. Assuming you aren't playing on some crappy internet connection like dial-up, you should be in much better shape with that machine.

Most consumer machines come with only one hard drive. If people only knew how good a RAID can be, they'd never go back. Currently, my machine contains the following:
    AMD Phenon II X3 Triple Core Black Edition (2.8GHz x 3)
    8 GB (2GB x4) 1066MHz DDR3
    ATI Radeon 4870 HD 1GB
    1.0 TB (3x 500GB HDD) RAID 5

I first used a RAID at home in 2004 on a machine running Windows XP Pro. In the past, loading Windows XP Pro on a single hard drive would take right around 25 minutes from start to finish. I had read of people loading Windows XP on a RAID in under 10 minutes. While I figured they were exaggerating, it was worth giving a shot. My first XP install on that RAID took my 9 minutes flat. I couldn't believe it.

Evidently, people are seeing amazing results with solid state hard drives too. Either way, I will never be a single HDD user again after experiencing the bliss of a RAID setup.

Win7(64)Pro - Intel 3770K @ 4.5GHz - 4x4GB DDR3 G Skill Ripjaws X - XFX Radeon HD 7970 - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Prentice
    I first used a RAID at home in 2004 on a machine running Windows XP Pro. In the past, loading Windows XP Pro on a single hard drive would take right around 25 minutes from start to finish. I had read of people loading Windows XP on a RAID in under 10 minutes. While I figured they were exaggerating, it was worth giving a shot. My first XP install on that RAID took my 9 minutes flat. I couldn't believe it.
    Booting under 10 minutes, welcome to the 21st century? Guessing you ment seconds when you typed minutes?

Evidently, people are seeing amazing results with solid state hard drives too.
    The love of my life. If you want to see massive increases in boot times, load times, etc. a SSD is the ultimate upgrade.

The less time you spend on GCD for whatever reason the better, so yes it'll increase.

hes talking about installing theOS
    I dont play in a hardcore no-lifer guild, but in a 2 days a week "hardcore" mythic guild.

Quote Originally Posted by Ophin
    Booting under 10 minutes, welcome to the 21st century? Guessing you ment seconds when you typed minutes?
    When I say loading, I am referring to installing Windows XP Pro to a brand new hard drive. Boot times are well under 30 seconds. Response times with every other process are instant.

Try reading what I typed as opposed to what you think I meant when you first glanced over it. Your application of the word "loading" clearly was not what I meant if you thought about it for even 1 second.

Win7(64)Pro - Intel 3770K @ 4.5GHz - 4x4GB DDR3 G Skill Ripjaws X - XFX Radeon HD 7970 - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Barawr
    The love of my life. If you want to see massive increases in boot times, load times, etc. a SSD is the ultimate upgrade.
    How big is your SSD?? I chose not to go with one because they are relatively small. The 1.5TB of drives in RAID gives me 1TB of usable space and I also have a 1TB external drive for back-ups too.

I guess i just dont realize how my dps could increase if i am spamming the next attack before the GCD is ready how can my dps increase with better fps

Quote Originally Posted by Butosai
    I guess i just dont realize how my dps could increase if i am spamming the next attack before the GCD is ready how can my dps increase with better fps
    It doesn't necessarily apply to only your DPS. It also increases your survivability. If your old/current PC is as bad as you say, you're probably only getting 5-10 FPS in combat. This number can drop even further during situations with heavy AoE. Low framerates reduce/delay the events you see and your reaction time to those events.

Just for kicks and grins, load up Rawr with your character. Give yourself the full set of buffs you would expect in your raid group. Next, go to the Options tab, and then the Rotation sub-tab. The Rawr defaults are 0.05 seconds for Delay and Wait. If you mouse over the words Delay and Wait, you'll see the explain of what that setting does. Before making any changes, look at your projected DPS with the default 0.05 seconds. Write it down or just remember it. Now, change the Delay and Wait to the EJ suggested setting of 0.25 seconds. See the difference??

While the Delay and Wait settings are more directly associated with a higher latency, you should know that an elevated latency or low framerate will produce a similar DPS loss.

EDIT: Make sure you correct your rotation settings. The Rawr default rotation is WAY off.

With .05 second Delay and Wait, my DPS shows 11053. With .25 second Delay and Wait, my DPS falls to 10520. It makes a big difference.

How big is your SSD?? I chose not to go with one because they are relatively small. The 1.5TB of drives in RAID gives me 1TB of usable space and I also have a 1TB external drive for back-ups too.
    60GB SSD just for the OS and any games. All the rest of my junk is stored on a big ol' standard drive. I had previously used a 10k Raptor that died on me and when I made the jump to SSD their was a major performance jump that you could easily see.

If your old computer was giving you less than 15 FPS, then the answer is yes. Assuming you aren't playing on some crappy internet connection like dial-up, you should be in much better shape with that machine.

Most consumer machines come with only one hard drive. If people only knew how good a RAID can be, they'd never go back. Currently, my machine contains the following:
    AMD Phenon II X3 Triple Core Black Edition (2.8GHz x 3)
    8 GB (2GB x4) 1066MHz DDR3
    ATI Radeon 4870 HD 1GB
    1.0 TB (3x 500GB HDD) RAID 5

Evidently, people are seeing amazing results with solid state hard drives too. Either way, I will never be a single HDD user again after experiencing the bliss of a RAID setup.
    Connection doesnt always have anything to do with your connection to the server, your looking for under 100ms regardless, and that will more or less depend on how close to the server's base you are. Obviously dial-up is crap and nobody should be using it if they are playing WoW in the first place (can you even play WoW on Dial-up?) But if you were to play on a West Coast (for argument sake we'll put this erver on the West Coast of Mexico) and you live in like.. St.John's Newfoundland all the way up in Canada, then chances are a cable or better connection isn't going to save you from server side lag. Same as if you try to goto the EU servers living in the US, your connection will be terrible no matter how good your connection actually is.

I live in EST but I play on a PST server (3 hour difference) and I sit around 250-320ms, it never goes lower, sometimes goes higher. but about 250 is the best i can do, I'm on the fastest possible connection for my area, and I just got a 10/1000 wireless router with 10/1000 cable running to it (thats right I use cable because its more secure and stable then wireless, my home has concrete walls, dont hate) there are some servers out there I run at around 50ms on, I dont play on them because i dont know anybody on them, and so that defeats the purpose of playing an MMO.

If anything it will improve your chances to stay alive in a hot situation, I personally think you will see a minimal dps increase, but your survivability in PVP (provided you have skillz) should go up significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by soaps
    I live in EST but I play on a PST server (3 hour difference) and I sit around 250-320ms, it never goes lower, sometimes goes higher. but about 250 is the best i can do, I'm on the fastest possible connection for my area, and I just got a 10/1000 wireless router with 10/1000 cable running to it (thats right I use cable because its more secure and stable then wireless, my home has concrete walls, dont hate) there are some servers out there I run at around 50ms on, I dont play on them because i dont know anybody on them, and so that defeats the purpose of playing an MMO.
    While what you are suggesting can be true, it is not always the case. I live in Texas and had been playing on a west coast server. While on that server, my latency would normally be ~90ms in Dalaran. At times, I would experience latency as high as 140ms. This is two time zones apart. In the past, I lived in Nebraska and was playing on a CST server (I believe the physical server was located in Minnesota). While on that server, my latency almost never fell below 230ms. Sometimes your location in regards to the server doesn't make any difference.