Making Gold, What am I doing wrong?

I'll start off by saying i've read almost every thread on here and i'm still having troubles.

I have two 80's and have been playing since Sept of 09. My main is a JC/Tailor and my alt is a Miner/Enchanter.

I've tried the whole buy uncut gems, cut and re-sell but on my server this is roughly a 10-15g profit (less on tues). Really worth it? I know most people will just buy the cut get at the higher price than try finding a JC to cut it for them.

I've farmed Titanium/Saronite (transmuted to titanium) for hours on end, seems to make the most gold for me, but a huge time sink.

I used to sell Ebonweave/Moonshroud/Spellweave, but they only go for 100-150g. Maybe a 20-40g profit if I'm buying the eternal's. (Once per 4days though)

I've farmed tons of Cloth, tried selling it straight, in Bolts and Imbued Bolt's. They sell well, but for the time its just not worth it. It might come out to 40g/hr if i'm lucky.

I tried crafting a boatload of chaotic skyflare diamond's, but they don't sell for crap on my server. I also "played" the auction house with them (i think). I bought all the ones on the AH, listed mine at ~100% (listing 3-4 at a time) and they would set there for a day before getting undercut. I might get lucky and sell 1-2. It seemed like by doing this I almost made it worse. They were 66g when i had listed just mine and after the day or two they were down to 35g from people undercutting.

GDKP runs are out on my server (Farstriders, RP server), we're lucky to get a 25man pug together, let alone one that will get past Marrowgar or Faction Champs.

So where am I going wrong? Or am I doing it right, but I just need to do it in greater quantities? I'll try the below post about selling the JC items to vendor, but I know Chalcedony and Bloodstone are the two most expensive green gems on my server. Huge Citrin is cheap and might be a profit.

EDIT: Generally I don't care as long as I have the gold for repairs, but I want to get the crafted pants for my Mage made, and that requires 8 primordial saronite. (They are selling for ~1900g on my server, so i need 15k g.)

Re: Making Gold, What am I doing wrong?

I am having the same problems with you in the JC market at the moment, many cuts are only 15-20g profit and when you factor in the AH cut you are only getting 10g profit with the risk of your deposit going to waste from undercuts.

I'd keep an eye on the rare gem market on your server, I make a lot of gems with Autumn's glow, buy it for 8g and sell for 20-30g.. not much profit but the profit margin is better and the AH cut is lower.

Also use auctioneer and do the "prospecting" search, it will provide you with a list of ore, usually adamantite or lower level ones that can turn a 50% profit margin because the gems gained from it are used in PLing JC. I find that Adamantite Powder sells well and usually covers the cost to buy the adamantite to prospect and the extra gems from it are free to sell.

Have you tried the whole JC vendor thing? buy up green gems at 1g or lower and eternal earth for 5g or lower (or 50s crystallized earths or lower) and you can craft those into rings to sell to vendor for 3g14 silver or disenchant if you have an enchanter.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/professi...or-for-profit/

Current Gold Total - 297,624g (April 19, 2010)
    Daily WoW Gold Making Articles On My Blog - www.WoWConfidential.com

Thanks for the reply, I'll look into those other things.

I've been trying the whole green gems/crystallized thing, it works pretty well, just not at the quantity of the OP. In between raiding and the like i made 1k. My server simply doesn't have the gem economy. I was lucky enough to get a stack or single gems here n there. The crystallized earth was no problem though.

I guess i'll keep working on it, just slow going.

Sounds like you play on a low pop server. There is no cure for lack of a market.
    2400 EXP Multi-Boxer On Tichondrius Alliance/Horde

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Look at the ah often for low prices (get auctioneer) buy low sell high. the other day i found a retard that posted cloth crafted dps icc legs for 1500g, he meant to post it for 1500k. I bought them and resold them for 10k 8.5k profit

15+ Year Old Account

I don't know the prices on your server.

On mine, lower level dust (arcane, illusion, dream) sells for a fortune. So do the essences (planar and eternal are good examples).

Try farming instances like Shadow Labs for the drops, which can then be disenchanted. The runs themselves will accrue gold, as well as other items like Marks of Sargeras, Fel Armaments and other items with decent sale potential.

If SL proves tough as a clothie, the ogres in Nagrand (for example) drop a lot of cloth that you can use to create disenchantable items, as well as greens.
    Remember this, kids, it is very important. Even if your mommy makes you a super hero costume, do not attempt to do any of these things, especially flying. Because you cannot do it. You do not have super powers. Because there is only one Super Grover. And that is me.

Having a toon that is an enchanter/tailor makes this very much worthwhile and effective but really, it is either way.

What I've been doing to successfully make gold for the past month or so is spending some time in Icecrown south of The Shadowvault killing an insane amount of Converted Hero mobs. They usually are packed together with about 7 or 8 of 'em and are very easy to aoe down and they drop a ton of frostweave and high level greens. They respawn relatively quickly so you don't need to really waste time looking for more packs of them. Lots of silver (you get about 2g just looting a pack which isn't bad) and a ton of grays you can vender.

Hope this is helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by WesM63
    I'll start off by saying i've read almost every thread on here and i'm still having troubles.

I have two 80's and have been playing since Sept of 09. My main is a JC/Tailor and my alt is a Miner/Enchanter.

I used to sell Ebonweave/Moonshroud/Spellweave, but they only go for 100-150g. Maybe a 20-40g profit if I'm buying the eternal's. (Once per 4days though)

GDKP runs are out on my server (Farstriders, RP server), we're lucky to get a 25man pug together, let alone one that will get past Marrowgar or Faction Champs.

I know Chalcedony and Bloodstone are the two most expensive green gems on my server. Huge Citrin is cheap and might be a profit.
    Always good to meet a fellow farstrider. Here is my advice

Mining takes a ton of time. If you like watching hulu.com while you play wow then go for it, otherwise there are better/easier ways to make gold.

JC is a gold making machine. The rings/necks as others have said is great, especially since you can DE; however, like you mentioned the bloodstone and chalcedony sell for up to 7g each, and that is just not worth it. There is no reason to get every JC pattern, unless you are your guilds only JC, and since I know your guild is one of, if not the largest on the server, you don't need every pattern. Once you have one recipe of every color, then sell dragons eyes, they consistantly sell for 100g for 15 min of work.

Moonshroud/Spellcloth/Ebonweave is no longer a money making thing anymore as the cooldown was removed, however that was huge profit margins on our server, eternal shadow as low as 5g and ebonweave selling for 100g is big bucks. Spellcloth was going for 175g, that is a lot more than some high pop servers.

GDKP runs are amazing for getting gold if your 1) don't need gear or 2) your gear doesn't drop. I was doing GDKP runs in heroics, before the LFG feature came out, and that was giving 55g+ per person per heroic. I also did seasonal bosses as GDKP runs, and the brewfest mounts were selling for 10,000g so big money there too. I would have highly recommended running your own GDKP runs on your enchanter, but blizzard changed the game with that one too, with LFG killing heroic GDKP and now heroic bosses going away to, as a money maker.

As far as not getting past champions, every GDKP run I have done was succesful, but pugs in general on our server suck. Very rarely will you find anyone in trade offering spots to an ICC run. Even if there is a run going on in trade chat, it rarely succeds, our server is just fail like that. The last trade chat pug I joined (excited I didn't have to raid lead it) was for Ony 10 man, this is after people have had months to get Emblems of Frost and way out gear the instance, only to find out the RL had no idea what to do. Sadly I was hoping for a relaxing raid, only to end up being asked to raid lead that run, even getting raid leader past to me.

On our server, if you want to raid, you pretty much have to join one of the 4 raiding guilds, as pugging (especially successful pugs) are almost unheard of on our server. However, I have found that the GDKP loot system has not only increased the number of sucessful pugs, but has made better players on our realm as well.

1. Get JC
    2. Get recipe for bold cardinal ruby
    3. Do bgs, do random hcs on a side
    4. Buy gems with honor and/ badges
    5. Cut them and sell
    6. Do the daily jc quest
    7. Sell the dragon eyes once you have the recipies listed above.

Listing your proff in the trade chat for 10g tips is a waste of time.

I have 10k gold and not really anything to buy with it, and between the honor from bg, random hc daily and jc daily, I do like 400g/day without even doing any serious effort like daily quests.
    A tauren warrior once told me "You may have won the battle but you haven't won the battle". It was only a small portion of the Horde's wisdom.

Drop tailoring and pick up alchemy. I leveled it on my hunter for 2000g off the AH.

Mine like a fool. Prospect saronite into blue gems. Xmute into epics. Cut and sell.

Either sell your titanium stacks on the AH or smelt into titansteel. Dont prospect titanium.

Do your JC daily every day and sell the dragon's eye... or buy some infinite dust and make Nightmare Tears to sell.

Do the JC vendored neck/rings thing... if you can find the right prices its still faster than doing dailies. You will have to search the AH often since this is becoming more popular, and most likely will just sqeeze out 100-200g a session.

Epic Gem + Titansteel Bar + Dragon's Eye ~ 400g for 10 minutes worth of work.. assuming you already went on an epic mining session.