15+ Year Old Account

Torment the weak

Why do mages take Torment the week?

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?mage...WC2t,wJt,11623

I saw this on another board, I geuss its the standard raid build for fire mages. but seriously. what does Torment the Weak do when killing a boss that is unsnare/unslowable

aren't those just wasted talents, and even on trash you would need to cast a frostbolt or something to get them snared, right? I don't play my mage often enough but could someone explain what purpose taking Torment serves?
    "Always wash your berries before you eat them...And fly towards the sun!"

Re: Torment the weak

There are countless threads on this and a FAQ at the top. Please run a search before posting redundant topics.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadified
    I don't play my mage often enough but could someone explain what purpose taking Torment serves?
    And this is the problem. What you don't realize is that mages gain the benefit of the Torment the Weak debuff from the following:

Infected Wounds
    Icy Touch
    Thunder Clap
    Judgement of the Just

among others....

All of the above are part of each tanks rotation or talent spec. So it is effectively always up on bosses and is a huge damage boost... so that would be why we take it.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Lifereaver
    And this is the problem. What you don't realize is that mages gain the benefit of the Torment the Weak debuff from the following:

Infected Wounds
    Icy Touch
    Thunder Clap
    Judgement of the Just

among others....

All of the above are part of each tanks rotation or talent spec. So it is effectively always up on bosses and is a huge damage boost... so that would be why we take it.
    makes sense. well that pretty much answers that, and it isn't in the FAQ. just a bunch of junk about stats. :-\
    "Always wash your berries before you eat them...And fly towards the sun!"

Quote Originally Posted by Teckdragon
    There are countless threads on this and a FAQ at the top. Please run a search before posting redundant topics.
    I was thinking the same thing, but just now i checked to quote the part of the FAQ and... he's pretty much right, it's not in the FAQ at all...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut5
    I don't want to call Boubouille and wake her up for something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifereaver

Infected Wounds
    Icy Touch
    Thunder Clap
    Judgement of the Just

among others....

Isnt the problem that most raid encounters the bosses are immune to the slowing mechanic to activate torment? Has that changed or is torment still mostly for trash and pvp?

If i remember correctly the spelling was intentionally changed from slowed to snared, and snares include any speed-affecting things.

Quote Originally Posted by boseguy22
    Isnt the problem that most raid encounters the bosses are immune to the slowing mechanic to activate torment? Has that changed or is torment still mostly for trash and pvp?
    You get the benefit on raid bosses.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

No, you can't slow bosses. Yes, the snare is still on the boss, even though it doesn't slow them, so TTW is active. It's a free +12% dmg on the boss 100% of the time. Terrible design, expect it to change drastically in cataclysm.

Quote Originally Posted by Teckdragon
    Why do you even bother to post if you're going to be completely and utterly useless? Sorry to be so harsh, but really, if you have the time to moan and whine you can just aswell give him the quick answer and be done with it?

Indeed, he could have searched for it and found it without making a post, but trolls like you posting just to whine when you obviously have the ability to help out instead just annoy me.

Quote Originally Posted by Smallnuts
    Why do you even bother to post if you're going to be completely and utterly useless? Sorry to be so harsh, but really, if you have the time to moan and whine you can just aswell give him the quick answer and be done with it?

Indeed, he could have searched for it and found it without making a post, but trolls like you posting just to whine when you obviously have the ability to help out instead just annoy me.

Your post was just as useless as his, as was mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Somaa
    Your post was just as useless as his, as was mine.
    I lol'd just a little bit inside..

Hope you're enjoying playing on a playable server :P

Most people seem to fail to understand the meaning of various terms used by Blizzard.

Slowing effects: Reduce attack speed of any kind. ie. Thunder Clap.

Snaring effects: Reduce movement speed. ie. Hamstring.

Rooting effect: Prevents movement. ie. Entangling Roots.