Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Re: The "Stam is all that matters" tanks

Quote Originally Posted by eErike
    Pro rules:

1. Get deff caped (woho druidz!)
    It's the Defense MINIMUM

your allowed to have more. infact, getting more then the MINIMUM is a good thing.

the word cap means that once you get to it, your done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I'm going to hell, and you're all coming with me.

10+ Year Old Account

I really, really don't understand why there's all this hate on "noob tanks who stack stam". Would you rather them stack defense or dodge or parry? I don't think so. The great majority of a tank's stats come from their gear, not their gems. Someone already said this, but it's likely that either you or the tank was doing something wrong if his gear seemed fine.
    Look! Words!

Quote Originally Posted by mrbreck
    Check this out:
    Stam gemmed and enchanted: http://chardev.org/?profile=377917
    Avoid gemmed and enchanted: http://chardev.org/?profile=377910
    "Balanced": http://chardev.org/?profile=377931
    Okay, ignoring set 2, which is... dumb. Set 3 is the best set, but you have the enchants wrong. It should be +20 Defense on the shield, and Agi on the gloves and weapon. Set 3 with those changes would have higher TTL then set 1. Now, if you adjusted set 1 to have proper enchants it would beat set 3, but as configured it's s worse. Simple changes like agi to weapon/gloves, defense to chest, agi to cloak and the AC enchant for shoulders are much better. You're taking stam just to take stam in set 1 and your 'balanced' set is being balanced for the sake of being balanced. A proper 'balanced' set simply takes the highest item budget options for survivability. You'd really be trading ~300 health for almost 2% avoidance, which is a good trade.

Nope. Set 1 is actually very nice like that. Raid buffed there would be a ~1.6% loss in health in exchange for a ~1.8% gain in avoidance compared to your initial set. You're also overestimating the threat difference, which is only going to come from the .8% difference in hit. New set 3 is nice as well, though probably with that type of setup Mongoose might be preferred.

Anyway, it still misses the point. The point comes up with more gear options so your gear can actually be shifted one way or the other. You can only go so far with gems/enchants. That's still way off topic though, since what was being tanked was the adds on Razorscale and any Paladin taking excessive damage there is doing something very, very wrong.

Probably standing in the fire. That is the only way i can imagine any tank taking relevant damage there. Or being in blue leveling gear, maybe. But those adds did not even hit hard when ulduar was new content. And there is no way a tank, when wearing tanking gear, however stupid his choices might be, could take that much damage that he is nearly unhealable there.

Maybe you got one of those "PvP Tanks" who think that running around in PvP Gear gemmed for Stam is a good idea, because it has much stamina on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Needalight
    I was trying to write a wall of text here but I give up.
    To my point.

245 Gear+++ All stam GEMS.
    Wrong

I never believed in the "mana sponge" fallacy. If you look at ICC the amount of tank damage that is unavoidable/spell, in addition to the hellscream buff really makes stam (and behind it armour) trump everything. Blizz can call RNG "fun" whichever way they want, I'll stick with my reliable stam tanks.

15+ Year Old Account

Had a few and its like healing a puddle. Spamming them to keep them alive.

Some people here act like tanks gemming for avoidance need no healing at all and tanks gemming stamina literally drain the healer dry. Chances are that you won't even notice the difference in most fights.

tank healing is now spamming like a DDer ,it doesn't matter the tank doddge or not unless the healer have to stop like moving or whatever

for a gemming choice , STA will always better than doddge , a tank should stay alive even he doddge none of the boss's attack , if he can't there are problems on the tank or healers or both

there is nothing wrong for tanks gemming all the way sta as long as he can keep his threat top

the only problem is those tank who think thier gear jump a tie by gemming/enchating/specing all STA , because they have the HP..............no! just no...........

Increasing avoidance is a far lower priority than increasing mitigation/survivability via armor/stam. Simply put. The current game allows for healers to constantly spam heals on the tank EXPECTING the tank to be hit. It makes no difference when using this method whether the tank is hit or not, because the heal is coming anyway, thus making avoidance moot. Tanks get hit so hard and fast nowadays its not possible to plan heals when you're already pushing your limits, so healers with their unlimited mana just spam the tank in case he's hit.

Avoidance wont save a tank if the healer never had the ability to keep it alive without the avoidance. It probably wont even make healing much easier.

tldr: stam/armor is far better than avoidance

Quote Originally Posted by Minia
    What's your view on these tanks? I healed one the other day wearing brewfest trinkets (Said they were good) and he was like butter. It was hard to keep him alive!
    What trinket(s) you would suggest, then?
    "any type of person converting RL money into WoW is retarded by default." - Choppers
    "That makes all of WoW players retards, since we all pay our monthly fee." - Kenjji

armor trinket(s) + armor on gear + stamina gems = win!

Quote Originally Posted by weshallarise
    druid tanks socketing nothing but agility since the ICC radiance went in and i cant help but laugh at them.
    i hope u know what u are talking about.....

10+ Year Old Account

Srsly it looks like 80% ppl posting here aren't tanks or at least healers.
    Yup, armor and EH are the key stats, now that's a newsflash. Although you won't go far without damn load of +hit and +expertise which are NOT provided by items only. If it is okay for everyone in the raid that your TPS isn't going over 8k and MD/tricks is the usual payment for 2-2.5k hit points, then go on, socket stamina. But there is no encounter within the current content requiring 264+ gear socketed with stamina only gems, while capped hit, expertise, and correct build combined with good utility timing does the trick way better for the raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Konung Alpha
    Srsly it looks like 80% ppl posting here aren't tanks or at least healers.
    --
    But there is no encounter within the current content requiring 264+ gear socketed with stamina only gems, while capped hit, expertise, and correct build combined with good utility timing does the trick way better for the raid.
    There is no encounter that requires gemming/enchanting hit/expertise either, as you are trying to say (remember last time it was so were in sunwell..)
    "any type of person converting RL money into WoW is retarded by default." - Choppers
    "That makes all of WoW players retards, since we all pay our monthly fee." - Kenjji

Quote Originally Posted by Sharaki
    There is no encounter that requires gemming/enchanting hit/expertise either, as you are trying to say (remember last time it was so were in sunwell..)
    If your raid lacks rogues (tott) and hunters (MD), being expertise and hitcapped as a tank is godly for threat. As other dps will race past you if not. I tend to take Vivid gems (hit and stamina) if the socket bonus allows it. Right now I am at 8% hit and 26 expertise in my normal tanking gearset and I wouldn't want to drop below it.
    "If you need to add '10char' to be able to post, don't bother posting at all."

Quote Originally Posted by Dapuh
    armor trinket(s) + armor on gear + stamina gems = win!
    what armour trinkets would those be: There's only a few in game
    http://www.wowhead.com/?items=4.-4&f...=1;crv=1#0-2+1

One from Professor in ICC, so high lvl, one from 25 Man Naxx which is tough to get, so the only real one is the 245 EoT trinket.

I have an incredibly hard time trying to imagine all the things you could possibly be doing wrong to do that badly.

Has to be standing in fire, you should be able to easily solo heal a dps plate class tanking razor's adds.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockk
    Some people here act like tanks gemming for avoidance need no healing at all and tanks gemming stamina literally drain the healer dry. Chances are that you won't even notice the difference in most fights.
    Exactly, seems like people think that +1.5-2% avoidance = no healing needed...

Stam+Armour > all, simple as that. The brewfest trinkets are very nice at lower gear levels! Getting a free Heart of Iron basically is sweet.

Oh and not being able to keep up a tank of any sorts on Uld10 razorscale is just lol...