Turning off the Gun Shot sound

Is there such an addon, or a way to rename the sound file?

Deleted

Re: Turning off the Gun Shot sound

i dont think he wants to change the sounds, i think he wants the sounds to not play at all/be deleted. There is a way, but you need to do the work yourself. Heres what you need to do.

Go to the folder with your WoW.exe and make a folder named Sound. Inside that folder, make a folder named Item. In that, make one named Weapons. In that, make one named Gun. Inside that folder, right click -> new -> Text Document. You'll want to make 3 of them. Rename them to...

GunFire01.wav
    GunFire02.wav
    GunFire03.wav

Make sure the extension is .wav and not .txt. Your gun sounds will no longer play. If you don't want the load sound either, make 3 more txt files and rename them to..

GunLoad01.wav
    GunLoad02.wav
    GunLoad03.wav

This will prevent the loading sounds from playing too. If you want to figure out how to change other sounds/whatever, then you'll need to download an mpq editor/reader. http://www.zezula.net/en/mpq/download.html will work.

FYI: I do not think this violates any ToS rules because you are not modifying any mpq files.

Most regular sounds are in common.mpq so open that up with the editor. Find the sound you wish to edit. For example the fizzle sounds when a trinket won't work because it's on cooldown is at sound -> spells -> fizzle. You can double click them to play them if you arent sure that is the right file. When you find the right files, take note of the folders and filenames. Example: The fizzle sound for a failed fire spell is at sound -> spells -> fizzle and is named FizzleFireA.wav. Now what you need to do is go to your Base WoW directory where the wow.exe is. Start making folders in the order that your sound file is in, so I made a Sound folder in the Base directory, then inside that I made another folder names Spells, and inside that I made a folder named Fizzle. Finally, because I don't want that fizzle sound to play anymore, you need to 'replace' it with a 0 byte file. This is as simple as right clicking inside the empty folder, creating a new etxt file, and renaming it EXACTLY as the file in the mpq (In my case FizzleFireA.wav) Make sure you rename the extension from .txt to .wav or whatever it needs to be. The fire fizzle sound will no longer play anymore. If you need other sounds changed, just fish around.

Good luck.

Deathflame, I've tried silencer and its pretty crappy. It has cool sounds I suppose, but they're still annoyng.

Thank you for the information Ssateneth, that sounds simple enough.

It's very useful, if you know the exact name of what you want. And to stop it, just rename them to anything but that (or delete them) and it goes back to the way it's supposed to be.