Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    15+ Year Old Account

Re: do you use FD often?

im a Hunter myself, and if i see my treath going to high compared to the tank i always use FD ( and MD after mostly )

i also got an alt tank ( DK ) and the other day i was in an instance with another hunter and he overaggroed the whole time.. so i said why dont u use FD or/and MD, his reply: "I dont wanna nerf my dps"
    I instantly left the grp and searched for another grp

I usually have to FD a couple times in a fight since I pull around 8-10k TPS and it pisses my tanks off, so if FD resists I've forced all the pallys to make and Salvation macro for me =)

There are some annoying mechanics about FD that encourage me to skip using it if at all possible. Having it be resisted for starters. Also, it doesn't work instantly so you have to actually stay down while the game registers you've used it. Not too mention how compeletly emasculating it is to have to flop to the ground at the beginning of a fight or in the middle of a big burst. It's super fun watching 1 or 2 seconds tick on by while you wait for the FD to "hit" (/sarcasm). Everytime it happens I hope in my heart of hearts that the tank has a taunt or something available and I won't have to use FD.

I have had my MT ask me to FD once, since starting ICC10/25m.
    Doing 10m Sindragosa Reg, I was over him on threat with an MD on every CD, as well as the extra when Readiness was used.
    Otherwise, I've never used it, I stay very close to him in threat, usually above our OT.
    I figure it increases the threat threshold, as well as raising the DPS ceiling.

In PvP, it's godly to stop an enemy caster's spell
    In raids, personally I let the mob run to me so everyone notices the tank losing aggro, and if the boss/trash gets close I pop detter ;P
    Rest in pieces, sewer scum.

I use FD quite a lot and MD too ofc but mostly because my hunter is an alt that is alone on a server and thus has no economical support from mains so he's way too poor to pay repair bills. Also I'm too lazy/busy to spend enough time on that char to generate funds.

Then of course there is the fact that in heroic pugs (which is about as high as this little alt gets to go) so many groups consists of ppl that auto-leave at the slightest sign of trouble and somebody dying from overagro early is often enough to trigger such a behaviour.

This is an issue of a fail tank not a hunter over aggroing. I never lose aggro to anyone on my paladin.

Honestly, FD is very situational;

It depends on the fight, and when / how you should use it to your advantage.

Some fights are slower for building threat on mobs. A good example is Valithria. Low hitpoint mobs that aren't active for a long duration. They are dead in what? 20-30 seconds for a slower group. You're not going to have pure tank threat to keep up with your dps, so it's better to utilize FD for that type of fight.

It's not about doing max dps in that case, whereas a fight that has a strict damage requirement. Festergut is certainly another good example - You don't need to FD maybe more than once, IF that. So using it would be pointless and a dps waste. You can't afford to lose the dps for that half second, it will effect your outbound damage by quite a bit if you continue to use it.

There are smart ways to increase your dps in an encounter as well. Personally on LK, I use multishot when the ghouls spawn, and FD after to avoid pulling aggro on them. My FD doesn't resist hardly ever, so I have no worry about having a resist - So if my aimed shot is hitting for 10-12k and my multishot can hit for the same amount almost, except 3 times as much as a single aimed. Use it, FD pop and shoot. The half second you lose for FD'ing is made up in the 2 extra possible huge crits, it's worth the sacrifice.

So just use it smart and you'll be alright.
    I was a Death's Demise.
    Those were the good old days.

simple solution:

Tell your rogues to stop slacking and make a Tricks macro that gives their focus target TotT, and focus target the tank, and let them open good, problem solved.

Honestly I never use FD unless I pull something intentionally to give the tanks a quick break. Used a Distracting shot with deterance to tank Festergut for a few seconds while we bresed a tank that died. However with my guild tanks in heroics I never have to use FD.

On trash I always MD at the start of pulls and with the nice changes to it you can MD a full volley if you're aoe'ing packs down. Makes it harder to pull agro if you stick to volley afterwards. Or if there's less than 4 mobs a MD multi and single target dps is better for threat control, and assisting the tank is always a good idea (which nobody seems to do) if they don't mark.

On bosses I use all my cd's right away because in heroics if you don't the boss dies before you can really use them, and in ICC they're up again by the end of the fight. This means that you have a double MD right off the pull with an increased attack speed. I rarely use FD in our ICC raids but am always on the button in heroics.

Even with double MD's i've pulled off a tank in random Heroic HoL before, I would have to chalk that one up to a bad tank, I made a joke afterwards and said maybe if I stayed in viper he could hold agro and he went and pulled 5/6 groups and intentionally wiped us, he then got vote kicked by the healer.

A good Hunter will use FD as needed. Any overuse of it is a hunter that either doesn't understand their threat or threat mechanics well, or is doing it out of habit.

Now knowing when to use it, that's the important part. For me, it's last resort city, but I have had to use it on occasion.

If we're talking 5 mans here, I tank better than most of the tanks I pull off of anyhow, so at most i'll pop deterrence if i think i'm in danger, and only if I absolutely think i'm going to die, will I drop threat. Reason being? If i'm pulling threat, the tank's TPS is probably low enough that everyone else is too. If I drop threat and it goes to healer/squishy and they die - *I* have not done my job (protect the squishy). This is obviously a case by case thing, and is by no means a general rule.

If we're talking raids? In serious face time, i'll drop threat if i even *think* I could pull in the next 30 seconds - which is usually only within the first minute or so. If i reach 90% of my tank's threat, i'm laying on the floor till i'm not.

Personally though, I find I am using it far less this expansion than in TBC, as MD and rogue's TotT seem to mask threat problems rather well compared to 3 shot MD of ole.
    Viperfangs --- Khoriann --- Anethel --- Litestrike --- Synergy --- Darkviper --- Sintentions
    - Hunter ----- Shaman ----- Druid ----- Paladin ----- Priest ------- DK ------- Warlock -
    -===- <Dauntless> -===- Anetheron US

15+ Year Old Account

Resisted alot. Was doing VOA 25. Used it 5 times in a row and it was resisted every time.

10+ Year Old Account

it does get resisted quite often. to fix that i have deterrence right next to FD (i click buttons i dont use often. just give it up lol you cant keybind EVERYTHING for a hunter) so that if it gets resisted i can just pop that and the boss will most likely drop aggro pretty quick

----------------------------------------
    you are now consciously breathing
    ----------------------------------------