Thread: New lwl 80 mage

New lwl 80 mage

Hi guys i recently hited 80, and I want to ask You - what mage build should i use when i go to dungeons? wich spec would be highest dmg? Arcane frost or fire?

Re: New lwl 80 mage

Arcane have fast attacks and some pretty decent instants

Fire have living bomb which is awesome in groups. I play fire myself.
    Depending on the groups dmg, i do living bomb on a couple, then flamestrike 9, flamestrike 8 and then blizzard. Kills most groups.
    You cannot bandage a bleeding target...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinnerbone
    This gets my vote for thread of the month.
    If WoW was "just" a game, you wouldn't be in this forum.

could u show me a concrete build of fire mage? i would be thank full, and i would use it

Standard fire raiding build is something along the lines of
    http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#of0Vc...ohIhVubhct:LVi

Standard arcane raiding build is something along the lines of
    http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#ofhVc...xedcZbGc0o:Nzi

I personally would go arcane if you just hit 80 and intend on doing heroics and all that.

what would be about rotation? a standart fire rotation?

Read this champ, it's a litttle about all the differant roations.

mage-pve-raiding-guide-frostfire-and-arcane-spec

Fire ST rotation is more or less keep living bomb/scorch up, use hot streak pyroblasts whenever they proc while you already have living bomb and scorch on the target then fireball whenever you don't need to be doing one of those things. Try and keep living bomb up on all targets assuming they will live for the 12 seconds even if you're not AoEing.

AoE rotation is keep LB on all targets (usually only have to do it once and might not be worth it if you're doing heroics) followed by R9 Flamestrike --> R8 Flamestrike --> Blizzard.
    Any AoE packs probably won't last that long until you are doing ICC so you'd probably be better off just throwing out a max rank Flamestrike and channeling blizzard in lower level content.

Oh and the guide above me is VERY outdated.

you really dont want to start out as fire, youll go oom alot.

go faceroll arcane, youll do good damage and mana isnt really an issue

on 3 mobs or more just do blizzard.

on bosses and 2 mobs or less arcane blast to 4 stacks then arcane missiles (if its procced with speed increase if not do 2 or 3 more arcane blasts and if it still doesnt proc use an arcane barrage)

Thanks to Stanton Biston for the amazing sig!

Mana not an issue with arcane ??? wut
    <;~~~~{] -____- )|:-~=(}

Deleted

Dont go arcane, you will oom often, untill you get 245ish gear stick with torment of the weak + frostfire bolt

Arcane doesn't have mana issues in heroics which I assume this player probably intends on starting out in.

one of you say go arcane other dont go arcane

one of you say go arcane other dont go arcane.
    that's because there are pros and cons to each spec, particularly when you first ding 80.

arcane requires less hit and has a simple base rotation, but if not played correctly (particularly when using cooldowns) could leave you in a bad spot.

something like a fireball/torment build requires a ton of gear to be successful and is very RNG dependant, especially when you don't have the gear to get the RNG to favor you.

there is also the frostfire bolt spec, which is similar in concept to fireball/torment, but a bit behind in damage now.

i used to start out new 80 mages in our guild with a frostfire bolt spec because it did decent damage, had a simple rotation, and was ruthlessly mana efficient. as the patches have come along and things have changed, though i've changed that. now i recommend they go arcane.

arcane is flexible. while you're running your heroics to get more gear to get ready for raids you can adjust your rotation. running low on mana? maybe stack AB 3 times instead of 4 to conserve mana. have plenty of mana left over? maybe spend some more time fishing for the missile barrage proc when it doesn't come up by stack 4. or maybe pop arcane power more often.

the upside and downside to arcane, imo, is it's flexibility. if someone understands it and knows how to use it, it can be VERY powerful. if used incorrectly, though, it can leave you high, dry, oom, and useless to the group.

in the end, go with what fits your wants and playstyles the best while you're doing heroics. read up on each spec on how they work and why then experiment with them. the more you know about each spec (and the better gear you get) the better you'll do.

"It's A Great Day For Hockey" - Badger Bob Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by frag971
    untill you get 245ish gear stick with torment of the weak + frostfire bolt
    Wut?

I say go arcane for a fresh 80

The low hit requirment is a real life-saver at early 80 and stick with a 4ab-am rotation at first.
    It is in no way an optimal dps cycle but it would be better for a beginner to stick with a static[easy] rotation to get a basic feeling of how your mana is consumed and practice managing CD's

Quote Originally Posted by Nawramsti
    Mages are fine wtf are you talking about.
    Frost for PvP Arcane for LOLPVP and Fire for...... for.....for.......one sec will get back to you.

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=45457
    what gems should i put in? any sugestions? :-\