Page 1 of 2
LastLast

We have hit a wall in the Professor Putricide fight!

Hi everyone,

My 10 man raid group is a really good group. We can clear the first wing of ICC in less than an hour and one-shot festergut and rotface. Our problem is when we get PP around 6-10% health and then people start dropping. I suspect PP is not dying fast enough as our top DPS in the fight is around 5-6k. I also suspect healing becomes too difficult for our healers at that point. I am really guessing because we can consistantly get him in third phase and around 6-10% health with no problems at all.

What are your experiences with this fight? TYVMIA!

Re: We have hit a wall in the Professor Putricide fight!

try going 2 healers 6 dps

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Do you still have a ooze up when you hit phase 3? That's usally what causes problems for us :P

Yah we run 2 heals 2 Tanks and 6 DPS

Questions you need to ask:

Are people saving their big dmging cooldowns for 3rd phase?
    Are people avoiding the mal goo?
    Are people avoiding the bombs?
    Are you alternating tanks having the one with 4 buffs running away from the raid? Bubble Sac at 10%?
    Are you stating him at the enterence to the room? (It allows for more DPS time before he puts the first mark on the tank)

If your answer is "no" to more than one of these questions, you will continue to struggle. Hope that helps!

Making sure you get a clean transistion into P3 is key when first doing this fight, otherwise you will find your first tank already has probably 2 stacks of the debuff by the time your DPS gets up to full speed. On that, what comp is your raid group?

Also what strategy do you employ to deal with the stacks on the tanks? As the more stacks they have, the higher AOE dmg is done to the raid, best method is 2 stacks on each tank, then 4, then 5, which should be healable through with relative ease, even more so with 3 healers. Of course if your healers feel up to it, rock with 2 healers and that extra DPS should help.

My group runs 2 healers and we have even done it with only 9 people in the raid before, and we don't have an outstanding average dps.

The biggest thing is for ranged to avoid goo and melee to avoid the flasks on the ground, as they will drastically reduce your dps and make it harder for healers to keep everyone up which will lead to a wipe. For the choking gas flasks, have the melee run to the tanks right before he throws them down as he won't throw them on the tanks. If you have a rogue in your raid, he should be cloaking/vanishing right as the phase change goes off as you can get some extra dps on the boss when everyone is stunned, or if a slime is still up the rogue can dps the slime if it is about to go to phase 3 as a slime being up in phase 3 is probably the worst thing that can happen since you lose so much dps time on the boss.

Really 5-6k is not that bad on this fight as there is a lot of movement and switching between targets, that is more than enough to down him quite easily. Remember to save Bloodlust for phase 3 as well, I know it is obvious but no one else said that yet. Not sure if ooze puddles are a problem with your group but there should be no puddles going into phase 3 or at the max 1 puddle. My group uses the debuff stacking method that Rosham just posted and we find that we have more than enough time to kill Putricide before the debuff gets too high.

Yes, we do run with 2 healers on this fight. I guess its about a 50/50 chance for us to transition into 3rd phase with a slime up and we down them pretty quick if they are up. I didn't know that the tank with four stacks runs away from the raid. We will have to look into that part of the fight. It does just seem like we are missing something small and maybe that's it.

Thx

Good news everyone! You can do this fight with 3 healers, just like the rest of the Icecrown fights!

If everyone is *dying* to phase 3, it is either one of Kivo's deviations, or you aren't switching properly when he stacks his debuffs on the tank in phase 3.

We do 2-4-4 and then if really neccessary, taunt at 5, but that's pretty much his hard enrage where everyone explodes. You didn't mention when you're switching or how many stacks you wipe at.

Doesn't matter how many dps you have if the encounter isn't being done correctly and you can't heal through it. It can easily be done with 5 dps and 3 healers.

Edit: Prepare to wipe 50% of the time if you have a slime up going into phase 3. Dps time needs to be time well spent here, not wasted killing slime.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Canen
    Yes, we do run with 2 healers on this fight. I guess its about a 50/50 chance for us to transition into 3rd phase with a slime up and we down them pretty quick if they are up. I didn't know that the tank with four stacks runs away from the raid. We will have to look into that part of the fight. It does just seem like we are missing something small and maybe that's it.

Thx
    Getting the transition right should probably be your first priority. Cut dps before the transition (3-4% or more depending on raid comp/amount of DoTs), when an ooze spawns keep one person on the boss to slowly bring him down as the rest of the raid kills the ooze. Communication is key here, the person on the boss must bring putricide down to the phase 3 threshold right before the ooze is about to die. At least that is how we do it.

Make sure that your tanks are taunting off each other for every stack they get. The more stacks each tank gets the more raid damage you will take. Obviously save lust/hero for this phase as well as your cd's if possible. Also what others have said, make sure that there are no adds up at the start of P3 as well as ppl not standing in the ooze. Even a tick or two of ooze damage can be deadly towards the end of the fight. And your saying its a 50/50 chance you have an add up. That will make it nigh impossible to do with 5-6k dps. Thats a good 10 seconds or so off the boss if you have an add up. You have to ensure no add is up at the start of P3.
    Invisible fire is scary fire- Capt_jesus

What healers are you running? If you're running something such as a pally and a shaman/priest, you'll find it easy with only 2 healers. If people are just dying, then you might want to try it with 3 healers. It's going to be relatively the same, and you should still be good on the enrage timer, depending on if you're in 10/25 gear, or just 10m gear. One of the key things for p3 for sure is to NOT push to p3 if you're going to have a slime. Make sure you're getting the boss to 37% without dots, then wait and kill the ooze. After that one dies quickly, then push it to p3. In p3, make sure that your tanks are alternating with their stacks, with one getting to 2, then the next getting to 4. After that, he should be good if your dps is fine. Also, make sure your tank drags him to the room entrance and starts kiting him from there, as said before will give you a little more time to dps him. Most importantly, make sure everyone is still avoiding malleable ooze and the flasks, else your raid dps really plummets, and that's the most important thing in p3.

6k dps on Putricide 10 man is not uncommon. We have guys that pull ridiculous dps on other fights (8-9k in 10 man fights not including BQL) and still only do 6k on Putricide. If you are struggling then definitely go 2 tanks, 2 healers and the tanks should be taunting at the very worst case every 2 stacks but if you are having any issues then just have them taunt on every stack. Obviously you know to save heroism/bloodlust (if you have it) for p3 as well as any kind of dps cooldowns. Make sure your tanks are popping cooldowns when they get to 3-4 stacks so your healers can get a little extra time healing the raid.

This might also sound silly, but make sure your ranged/healers aren't trying to follow around Putricide like lost lemmings. This loses dps time up the wazoo when you're constantly moving and trying to adjust, and having to try and catch up with tanks while everyone is taking steady damage is dumb for healers to have to do.

If you're tanking him around the wall, position people in the middle of the room so they have to move far less when dpsing/healing. Spread out so goo doesn't blast you and just don't stand in front where the tank is kiting.

Still don't understand all the consensus about doing the fight with 2 healers. With the large amount of damage incoming from Putricide on tanks and the decent increasing amount of raid healing, you're just asking for someone to get gibbed early with 2.

You can easily do it with 3 healers and 5 dps. The worst that can happen is you see 5 stacks once in a while on a tank (Which isn't lethal) and you easily heal through it, because you have healing properly covered. Besides, you have 3 healers in there for the rest of the instance anyways..
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Myself as a tree and a Holy Pally have successfully two healed Putri for the last couple of weeks. Its quite doable with two healers if your raid is aware of where they are standing as well as the tanks taunting often to avoid high stacks. Like someone above me posted, the dps should not be running with putri if possible, it will lower dps considerably. But at the same time be aware if they are gonna get trapped by goo out of range from him towards the end of the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx
    One last thing is that with 2 tanks, you can go 2-2-switch-3-3-switch-4-4 on the stacks. Tank A gets 2 stacks, tank b taunts. Tank b gets 2 stacks, tank A taunts. Tank a get's 3 stacks, tank b taunts. So on and so fourth. Since taunts are on diminishing returns, this can be a problem, but generally, it works fine for us and he's dead before taunt immunity takes effect.
    I have not done the fight but it would seem to me that a better way to do the taunting would be to have Tank A get 2-tauntTB=3taunt-TA=4taunt... so on and so on... It will save on the DR of Taunt and as far as I can see will not change the amount of DMG to the raid.

Like I said I do not know the fight, so if there is a reason that tank A should taunt while having 2 himself before Tank B gets 3 then my point is moot. Anyone else agree or can tell me why it would not be ok?

From my expeirence DR has not been an issue. I believe the time from one taunt to another is far enough apart to no worry about any DR issue. If there has been then our tanks have not mentioned it lol

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by grevari
    Like I said I do not know the fight, so if there is a reason that tank A should taunt while having 2 himself before Tank B gets 3 then my point is moot. Anyone else agree or can tell me why it would not be ok?
    DR is not an issue. However, I do recommend tanking it thhat way for a different reason: it increases the consecutive time each tank is tanking and reduces number of tank switches.

During phase 3, Putricide actually hits pretty hard. Couple that with moving to avoid slime and whatnot, and you have some vulnerable tank moments. The most vulnerable is when tank switching -- pre-hotting is good, but nothing is a substitute for the incoming heal windup. Minimizing switching means we're minimizing the number of potentially bad situations.

First thing, get phases 1&2 down before even worrying about phase 3. Having an ooze up during a transition is wrong. If u have to go through one more slime phase to avoid one during a transition then do it. To clean up phase 2 try tanking professor as close to the puddles as possible only moving him out to drop his bombs. Ur Abomb can dps professor and drink at the same time sine they are on seperate CDs so this allows extra dps on professor. Our Abomb can put up nearly 9k dps this way. When u get into a clean phase 3 it is everyones job to avoid unnecessary damage. Range and heals need to stack to the side as far back as they can to avoid goos. As others have said melée needs to get in front of professor for bombs, a few parrys is better then death or a hit debuff. I ppl are not stacked I'll run out of room with puddles all over the place. One big thing is the tank with the debuff can't run out ofthe raid. The AE damage has a 100 range so the tank running out only puts u at risk for a puddle out of position. Also tell ur dps that avoidence is more important then getting a cast off. It's better to stop move and recast then it is to stand there in a puddle or get hit by bombs or goo.
    Cooler Master HAF X : Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz : Corsair A70 cooler : 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance LP : ASUS P8Z68 V-PRO/Gen3 : EVGA GTX GTX 670 FTW SIG2

If you are getting to 5&4 stacks and losing people then, it is a dps issue. If you are getting to 5&<4 stacks, it is a tank issue. If you are not getting to 5 stacks on either tank and losing people, it is a healing issue.

As others have indicated, transitioning to phase3 with a slime up is wrong and should be corrected. You should be using BL/Heroism (if you have it) ASAP in phase 3. DPS should also save their cooldowns near to the end of phase 2, because the soft enrage timer doesn't start until he casts tear gas at 35%.

There are a few other tricks you can employ to shave off a percent or two:
    - rogues and mages can avoid the tear gas stun and continue to deal damage
    - All other classes should refresh their dots when they see tear gas casting, because dots will continue to deal damage during the stun timer.
    - Try to do all your dps-hindering maintenance abilities just before tear gas. Such as: reapply FF, apply a new sunder, refresh HfB, apply a new mangle (1 minute duration in 3.3.3), refresh HoW/Shouts, so that you don't need to spend time on them during p3.
    - Pre-positioning the raid near the table during the stun will save a few seconds of setup when p3 begins
    - If you have a beefy DPS with a survival cooldown (shieldwall/barkskin/wings/PS/sac), they can taunt putricide to take a stack, which gives you an extra 10 seconds before a tank will need to take a 5th stack. If you need to do this, it's usually best to do it early rather than late.
    - Healers can often fit in some DPS early in the phase; damage isn't really a big thing until someone takes a 4th stack.
    Vindicatum - US-Icecrown 14/14H - 3 days per week - Recruiting for Warlords of Draenor
    http://vindicatum.com/

15+ Year Old Account

We go 2 - 2 - 3 - 3 - 4 - 4 if we get that far on tank transitions and make sure we're popping 1 of our cooldowns on each one. We also hold dps at 36.5% roughly and wait for a slime to come out. Burn it, slurp at least 1 if not both puddles and then push him to Phase3.

Our kite path may be different than others also as the tanks run to the starting door and wait for putricide. DPS stands spread out in the middle and doesn't have to move much as we do a clockwise path. We only move Putricide when either a slim puddle drops or the gas bombs hit so you should almost be at the table when he dies.

Make sure melee are hugging his ass when the gas bombs come out and range avoid the damn goo. If multiple people get the +hit debuff it's pretty much a wipe.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222