Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account

Pally tanks/SA

Hey paladin tanks,

Longtime priest healer, first time poster. I’d like to hear your thoughts on Spiritual Attunement as it pertains to a recent encounter.

So I’m running the daily H last night, VH, and one of your kind keeps asking me to heal him, even though he’s at full health. (Let’s face it, it’s hard not to be in heroics). I ignore his request. Eventually, he threatens to kick me from the group. By now he’s allowed several mobs waves to reach the doorway. I succumb to his ignorance, and leave the group.

Was this tank just a moron, or in all my long years have I been doing paladin tanks a disservice by not topping off his health AND mana via SA. ???

Healingly yours,
    Bagelbreath

Deleted

Re: Pally tanks/SA

"In patch 2.1, this ability will no longer grant mana for overhealing. For instance, if you get healed for 1200 and 200 of that is overhealing, you will only recieve 100 mana instead of 120."

As such, he's an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahi
    He's an idiot if he thinks he gets mana from SA when he's at full health. If I run oom (rare), I press my 'naked' macro and reequip my gear so I actually have a health deficit to get mana back :P
    Hmmm, neat idea... never thought of that before

As a Paladin tank it's a pain when I have a Disc Priest healing me and I can't keep Divine Plea up all the time.
    This is what I do.

Normal Rotation
    1- Shield of Pull
    2- Consec
    3- Judge
    4- Hammer of AoE
    etc, good old 6,9,6,9 rotation

Disc Priest Rotation
    1- Shield of Pull
    2- Dispel (right click) Bubble
    3- Dispel Shield
    4- Dispel any Damage reducing spells left
    etc, good old 6,9,6,9 rotation until he shields me or casts any damage reducing spells so i go to step 2 again.

Deleted

Um yeah, I was under the impression that Good gear + Rapture > Good gear + Spiritual Attunement.
    Unless you mean when you're pulling a lot of mobs, and how can mana be a problem then?

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account

Thanks for the replies! ;D

Deleted

Dunno if it just me or not but i dont seem to need SA. Rather use it somewhere else where it will help me more and i agree when you got loads of mobs on you mana aint a prob.

http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=54428 + http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=53585

Use it, love it, learn to keep it up. There's critters in dungeons for a reason, and prot paladins and rage classes should know how to utilize them.

http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=25899 doesn't hurt either.

VH is annoying cus you can't chain pull and Divine Plea falls off between portals. but he is an idiot if he thinks SA will replenish him at full health.

it is true that in this case it is better that he takes damage to replenish, and most people just take their shield off or skip using holy shield if you're not that geared.

either way, he's an idiot.

as everyone else said hes an idiot.

Also in heroics the fast majority of his mana gain should be coming from BoSanc not from SA anyway and being shielded doesn't impact his BoSanc return. There are a few exceptions like FoS where there are few melee mobs.

In VH he needs to not cast conc except maybe on the dragon packs. On the single mob packs, an SoR HotR then Judge wisdom and auto attack is enough threat to hold them till they die and shouldn't cause him to run out of mana.

If he's qqing about mana and you're a disc priest, just have him sit down and eat a few crits, that'll chew through the bubble real quick, and he'll take damage to boot!

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Dethecus&n=Solandrys

Quote Originally Posted by Lumidar
    VH is annoying cus you can't chain pull and Divine Plea falls off between portals.
    You should be able to get between the new portals most of the time without DP falling off thanks to the shortened time between ports. But, if you think it's going to fall off, smack one of the rodents that hang out in the empty cells before the next pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Offhand
    You should be able to get between the new portals most of the time without DP falling off thanks to the shortened time between ports. But, if you think it's going to fall off, smack one of the rodents that hang out in the empty cells before the next pull.
    Or consecrate less.

Or wearing dps plate so you take more damage.

When I tank and run oom, I'll just sit down and recieve a few crits. On bosses I get a 5-6k hit and ready to get some mana.
    Really hates instances where I can't chain pull and keep Divine Plea up, like Ocu or CoT:Strat (dps always kill the zombies before I get to it).

But to OP: Ignore him, he won't get mana if hes full hp. Next time just tell him to take off his shield untill he get enough damage=mana and then take it on again.
    Shaman since Vanilla. All the way !

15+ Year Old Account

@ OP: That pally is an idiot. As has been stated throughout the thread.

@ Prot Pallies with mana issues- I am getting sick and tired of all the paladin tanks that cannot figure out this very very simple concept: Gear to content. Make yourself a nice block set, maybe toss some ret gear on if you want, and pull the instance. You don't need an ICC EH stam/armor set for heroics. Put on avoidance/block gear, hit HS so its up as you pull so you get the most out of Sanc, and if you have the now-normal high geared DPS setup, forget consecrate. It's all dead in 10 seconds anyway. If your DP drops, plan it's use. If you are skipping mobs in H-UK for example, hit DP 10 sec before your pull so you get all the mana before hand, then it refreshes anyway. I have never, EVER had to click off disc priest shields or any other absorb item, and there is not a heroic in the game that I have mana issues with. If you do, you are doing it wrong.
    "And then, as though awoken from a blind stupor,the people of the internet realised that: no one gives a damn.
    And no damns were given." - Calon, MMO-Champion (source)

in UK just pull 1 or 2 rooms at a time and drag trash packs into the bosses.

Tell him to become an alchemist so he has never-ending mana pots for heroics if he's got mana issues. But as has been stated multiple times, healing after he's at full health does absolutely nothing so he was a moron that obviously does not know his class. I hope that other paladins (and particularly your pally friend :P) read this or read something about their classes before they start threatening to kick healers from a group for no reason.

Or let it fall off... I generally DP every other portal in there, no mana problems at all.

Eh i find i make it to the portals just fine, but the goddamn mobs won't spawn in time~

but seriously, consecrate sparingly, and you'll be fine. shit is a mana hog.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Dethecus&n=Solandrys