Starting a priest.

As the topic says im going to roll a priest, from what ive read on the forums it seems like priests are harder to heal with than the other healing classes. (ive been both a paladin and a druid.) I have also read that they aren't that needed anymore since the other classes are more focused within one area (example paladin : maintank healing) is this true?

i would also appriciate if YOU could give me the pros and cons about being a priest from your point of view and experiance. ( ill probably specc as a healer but it would be fun to also hear what you think about the shadow priest)

And for the last question, im thinking about picking up tailoring but im not sure if the gear you can create is worth it? ( i know that it is alot eaiser to get better gear now with alot of content but if someone can tell me how it is in the begining of the expansions, i hope you can understand the last part... not sure how to write it. but to make things clear: is the gear you can craft with tailoring good in the start of new expansions?)

I'm sorry if i wrote any wrote anything wrong, my english isn't perfect. would appriciate if anyone could answer these questions for me.

Re: Starting a priest.

Well, the later ICC stuff if near BiS for most casters. I myself use both the legs and the boots in my healing gear. They are very nice pieces. Also, the main reason to take any proffession is it's combat benefits. they are all pretty balanced, tailors get a tailor only "Lightweave Embroidary" which increases Spell Power on spell casts.

As for Preists in general.

Holy preists healing is a lot of fun. No doubt. Not quite as straightforward as pally or tree healing as far as I know. To succeed as a Holy Priest you are going to have to think out of the box. Holy healing has insane burst raid healing. Possible some of the greatest in the game. That is it's pro. But it can be very mana inefficient, especially at early gear levels. They also struggle with effective point healing.

Disc priests however are pretty much the opposite of a healer! They are unique in all of Warcraft, in that their major role in any encounter is to prevent damage happening at all. They do this through the use of very powerfull shields. Infact, just from being there the raid takes a steady passive 3% less damage. They have very nice burst healing on a single target . They also have Pain Suppression which is a very nice Emergency button. They can also give a caster DPS (or themselves) a "mini heroism" every minute and half. They do struggle with effect raid healing though. Nowhere near as powerfull as a Holy Priest in tht respect.

Shadow DPS is very fun. But can be very hard to master. I would possibly consider among the hardest specs in the game to play effectively, and alot of players fail. When it is mastered though, Shadow Priests can do some very very ncie DPS. They are not a burst class. Not in the slightest. They provide "a steady stream" of constant DPS that providing the player doesn't mess up, will peak at about 2 -3 mins into a boss fight and will not go up or down without outside interference.

I love my priest. I love every spec, and played and mastered (I hope ) them all. I hope you enjoy the priest!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spritely View Post
    That said, I'm going to bed. Having a conversation in this context with someone with an avatar alluding to heroine use is just odd.

15+ Year Old Account

Priest class is not much harder than Druids in terms of healing. They both have a large marginal of healing spells (Holy Priest more), but it requires right timing and focus to time the heals right with both classes.
    As for being less focused on some parts, I have to say that Priests probably is the class focused on something the most. They are either tank healers (Discipline) or raid healers (Holy), but of course the still have a hand in both things no matter spec.
    I prefer professions that provides + spell power continuously instead of on proc, so tailoring for me is garbage. All the crafted items can anyway be crafted by someone else, so that isn't fun to choose a profession for. I personally prefer enchanting and jewelcrafting. They provide flat amount of spell power, and I become more independent of other people in terms of enchanting and gems. Besides I can earn 100g each day with jewelcrafting, and I can DE old gear I can't use anymore and gear inside dungeons etc.

Quote Originally Posted by iLive
    I prefer professions that provides + spell power continuously instead of on proc, so tailoring for me is garbage.
    Offensively speaking, Lightweave outweighs any other enchant. Healing, however, would look to the Darkglow Embroidery, which is roughly 40 mp5, again a "BiS" enchant.

As to your other reasons to hold onto JC/Enchanting, you can make that much money on an alt with JC too, doesn't mean anything. And as for DE'ing old gear? Everyone can, thanks to the new "Use me for your disenchant bitch" button.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Thanks for the fast replys, i have some questions tho, what is BiS and if im not going to choose tailoring as a profession what should i take instead.(it is for raiding but also for making abit of money) is it hard to quest at 80 as a healing specced priest?

Priest is the only class in the game with two healing talent trees, so it's indeed one of the core healers in the game. You can never go wrong with starting a priest, both for PvP and PvE. And there's always shadow if you get bored with healing.

In general healing as a priest is easy when it comes to making sure nobody dies. Raid healing can be more tricky than paladins and shamans, but it's not difficult in the end. It's however, a bit different from 5man dungeons as in raids you'll mainly be AoE healing with Circle of Healing and Renew, where 5man dungeons can be quite another scenario.

But it's a really fun class to play, and you definitivly should try out all aspects of the class. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ersinic
    Thanks for the fast replys, i have some questions tho, what is BiS and if im not going to choose tailoring as a profession what should i take instead.(it is for raiding but also for making abit of money) is it hard to quest at 80 as a healing specced priest?
    It's slower, but not hard. BiS healer gear is hard to really quantify though. Healers have many more options than DPS do for gear.

As far as healing professions? Tailoring > JC > (anything not listed) > Engineering > Mining/Herbalism

If you really want to make money then Inscription, JC and Enchanting are the biggest cash cows.

Quote Originally Posted by Ersinic
    The game have a thing called Dual Talent Specialization, allowing you to have two talent trees. So you'll be levelling and questing as shadow, if you want to be efficient, and not a crazy holy-dps nutter like Kelesti here ;-)

Also for professions, you can pick anything. Jewelcrafting is never bad for making money, and Enchanting is decent as well. Avoid Blacksmithing or Engineering, as they're both terrible expensive to level and provides little ways to make money.

If you don't have mana issues later on in game, I would definitely go into lightweave rather than darkglow. Especially if you're disc. Stronger shields are stronger shields.

Predicting damage - the right way.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    Offensively speaking, Lightweave outweighs any other enchant. Healing, however, would look to the Darkglow Embroidery, which is roughly 40 mp5, again a "BiS" enchant.

As to your other reasons to hold onto JC/Enchanting, you can make that much money on an alt with JC too, doesn't mean anything. And as for DE'ing old gear? Everyone can, thanks to the new "Use me for your disenchant bitch" button.
    Lightweave is on proc (as I said I don't like) and removes the option for an additional back enchant. 47 SP + 23 haste rating (normal back enchant) > 40 MP5 (imo), but would depend on if I need mana or not. The reason for both professions was majorly for flat amount of SP constantly and to be less dependant of others when it came to gemming and enchanting new gear. It's just a minor bonus, that I can earn enough gold for everything with one (easy) daily quest and be able to DE replaced items. And I don't understand why you hate the DE function in dungeons. Either that or people whispering you to DE their items, which is boring.

if you ever played guild wars, disc priests are basically monks that spec into bonding! (not bondage....)

if you know what that means, you know exactly what disc is all about.

oh, and levelling, i went disc and healed in instances. 2 days played => lvl 60 :O

it's super efficient on mana, and I've seen loads of holy priests really struggling, even with very good levelling gear. hell, even in ramparts I had a mage tanking half of it, and kept almost full mana. penance is just TOO imba for dungeons while levelling. I would really recommend levelling as disc to heal instances. (mostly) quick queues, instant queues to outland dungeons, not done northrend dungeons yet.

i've not tried holy for a few years (back when Gruul's lair was hard.... [1st priest]), but I think it's not as fun for levelling as disc. Disc has a LOT of tools/oh shit buttons.

afaik, shadow is epic for levelling now once you get vampiric touch...not tried it though. disc is just too much fun with instant queues.
    http://files.me.com/sureshk/j0r7w6

The disenchant ability i dungeons actually provided me with far more mats than ever before. Maybe because one run more dungeons now than before ;-)

10+ Year Old Account

my main disc.

1. harder? only if you dislike having more than one or two buttons to push or you dislike not going afk to heal, then yeah its 'harder'.
    1a. arent needed anymore? disc is THE maintank healing spec. 13% damage mitigation right off the bat and thats NOT even including the bubble.

2. my offspec is shadow and i love it. its not an easy rotation though and still doesnt scale well with gear.

3. my priest is tailoring, i dont think ive made a single piece of gear shes ever worn, however! the tailoring only enchants ARE worth it. not to mention combining that with enchanting for the ring enchants and you get to disenchant the stuff you make as you level.

edit- btw...priest is a bitch to level solo.
    'Let no man deceive himself. If any one among you seem to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise.'
    Translation: you are a fool.