Using DPS weapons as a tank

I dont know if this is the right forum for this but basically here lately I have noticed something as I occasionally have to pug an off tank for our raids. I am noticing a lot of tanks using DPS weapons (and not just DK's either) to tank with. Is this a legit thing to do if you are over defense cap and if so, can someone post some numbers or some justifications as to why this is better?

Thank you for your time in this matter!

Re: Using DPS weapons as a tank

A DPS weapon = slow 1H weapon does a lot more damage, due to seal damage scaling with weapon speed.

It's the cheapest way to trade tanking stats into dps/tps for a paladin tank.

=> Use it if you have threat problems (you shouldn't)
    => Use it if you feel overcomfortable with your tankgear (doing heroics and old stuff) for some extra dps.

^ What he said. I use the gutbuster or whatever when i do heroics. But I also tank as ret :<

Belf. Again.

I use DPS weapons a lot, like Gutbuster. I swithc between that and the Facelifter, depending on the fight and how I'm feeling. Facelifter has mongoose, Gutbuster has Accuracy. Also helps when I adjust my gear around hit and expertise. I can use gutbuster for more hit, and facelifter for more expertise.