Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted

Re: Stupid, stupid voidwalker

Simple... We must kill the Voidwalkers... and start useing the more retarded felguards

whokeepschargeingatargetwichisveryfarwayeventhoididntorderhimtobuthefeltlikedoingthatinste adofstayingontopofthelichkinglikeiwantedhimtofuckingretaredpet

Read or you will share his fate

Deleted

Also be wary of target queuing.

Target mob A, pet attack,
    "whoops that's a +10 elite",
    change to mob B, pet attack
    "*phew* dodged a bullet there"
    mob B dies, pet runs back to mob A and you now have 5 second to get your ass out of dodge

And damn it to hell when using the imp half the time he seems to fire off a shot before changing target anyway ......

I've seen this a couple times while tanking my way through LFD on my Warrior. I was less than pleased when an out of control pet facepulled the next pack.

As far as the theories go it would seem they all reside on pet AI being client-side instead of server-side. I'm no game developer, but I think I would want to keep pet AI server-side. Anyway I'm wondering if it isn't just another effect of whatever is causing mobs to move behind tanks, a problem unleashed with LFD iirc (I think they attempted to fix it since then, but didn't quite get everything correct, the situation is better, not perfect).
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I pity people who have gotten so insensate to disrespect and abuse from repetition that they have elevated being jaded to a virtue.

This happens for me as well, but not on it´s way back though, only when I sent it towards a mob it bugs.

Sadly I don´t know of Blizzard knows this, but I really doubt they wouldn´t know anything about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronicle
    That's because you're not looking.

Searing = Firy = Hot = Molten = Lava = Volcano = Disaster = Death
    Blade = Sharp = Pointy = Feather = Bird = Wing

Searing + Blade = Death + Wing

Thus, if Searing + Blade is equal to Burning + Legion, as well as to Death + Wing, and Death + Wing is equal to Old + Gods, then Burning + Legion = Old + Gods.

Simple math.

Quote Originally Posted by Furkel
    So, I started lvling a lock, just for fun. And so far it HAS been fun, except for one tiny problem, which occurs on maybe as much as half my pulls: I send in the voidwalker, he runs toward the target... and keeps on running, taking the target with him. They both end up out of range, I call him back, he runs back towards me, goes PAST me and keeps running, this time in the other direction, often into a pack of mobs and then we both die horribly.

Long story short, my voidwalker is borderline retarded. Is this a common problem? If so, are there any tricks to avoiding it? Do the good people of blizz know about it, and have issued the old "we are aware of the situation and are working on a fix" malarky?
    This is a long known bug with pet leashing, Happens on hunters as well during leveling. Tends to be less of an issue at 80.

10+ Year Old Account

the mindless suicidal pet issue has been in game since before tbc its a pathing issue that blizzard have triedd but failed to remove completely.i,ve played a warlock and severaly hunters and not a day goes by where my pet doesnt take gleeful pleasure in trying its best to get me murdered in bloody and agonising ways lol :.

Only thign you can really do is click stay when it engages thats about it because i dont think blizz will ever get it perfect.
    Faith Manages

Quote Originally Posted by Cadamon
    it's not the pet's fault... well, not entirely.

have you ever seen a "real" tank (i mean another player) trying to pull mobs in a certain direction, for example to a way, that no mob is behind him?
    somewhere in time, shortly after WotLk launch, they changed how mobs move and arrange themselves when in hitbox-contact. not only for mobs, but also for pets.
    and now you're sending in your npc to tank another npc, both trying to pin each other in place but acting like a crackhead.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Ni7ro X
    all wrong, it's latency causing the problem. The pet runs towards the target the mob aggro's on the pet and runs towards the pet. The mob passes by the pet and runs back to the pet again passing it and your pet then runs towards the mob, passing it again. They keep trying to follow eachother which causes a chain reaction and they both end up trying to follow eachother into whatever is in their way.
    And This.

Every time I experienced that behavior myself the reason was one of the above.

Yeah, common bug, been there forever. lots of people have replied with the various ways to fix it. Anything that makes the void wipe the slate and do a fresh re-engage does the trick.

Maybe its because i leveled to 80 as affliction, so I reeeeally identify with the OP, but these quotes from this thread were so hilarious I laughed so hard I got strange looks at work:

"Long story short, my voidwalker is borderline retarded."

"he likes obstructing my view of everything" >> "Someone's a gnome 8D"

"both trying to pin each other in place but acting like a crackhead."

"didn't you read the warning on the tooltip?... *warning ~ repeated summoning and desummoning of voidwalker may result in diminished mental capacity..."

PS- What I hated even more about him was how big his clickable target-frame was, making it nigh-impossible to loot things half the time without dancing around the corpse like a madman.
    Long story short, my voidwalker is borderline retarded.

lol, great thread.

Makes me want to level a warlock just to lol at my pet and mourne my ghost walk time

Long story short, my voidwalker is borderline retarded.
    LOL, buff intel

have noticed it aswel both on with hunter pets as lock pets. maybe some code'd problem.
    have u tryed talking to a gm about it?

This happens quite a bit, you'll only become more and more aware of it and it'll piss you off every time.

Pets never used to do it but when Blizz changed pet AI so they run behind the target when attacking (to avoid parry and such if in an instance and to turn the target away from you) occasionally the target runs slightly towards the pet, so the pet moves back to make up for this. This results in the pet and mob running away.

This happens to every melee pet in the game.

Recalling your pet then clicking 'attack' when it starts to do this is the best thing to do.

sometimes happens.sometimes not.i know it is annoying and they havent fix it yet.....
    Mal'Ganis is DEAD!Deal with it!

he runs toward the target... and keeps on running, taking the target with him. They both end up out of range
    I think this is because of the positioning bug that tanks have to deal with all the time. I believe It's caused by latency. When I'm dragging mobs on my tank and I stop moving it takes a few milliseconds for the msg that I've stopped to reach the server. While the msg is in route the server is still assuming that I am moving in the same direction I was when it last heard from me. Any mobs following me will continue running in the same direction so by the time they find out that I stopped a second ago they've already passed me and now have to turn around. My observation of pets leads me to believe their movement in relation to mobs suffers a similar amount of latency(not over a network but between processes on the machine) because of the way they dance. They move to get behind the target and rather than the target turning to face them the target run through them as if it didn't realize that they stopped when they did and it was trying to chase them further. The pet and the mob switch places over and over as they dance off into the distance.

The solution to the problem would be to increase melee range until it is equal to the distance traveled in a reasonable amount of lag... say 300 milliseconds. I'm guessing this would be about 2-3 yards. I believe you could cut down on all hit boxes to compensate and still end up with a similar appearance of melee range. Melee range may have to be extended a little overall but there are already plenty of large hitbox creatures that you appear to melee from 50 feet away so this shouldn't bother anything that much. This would allow the mobs following you (or your pet) to follow at a slightly longer distance and thus receive the signal that you've stopped before they overtake you. Resulting in them stopping close to you but not passing you.

tl;dr If you extend melee range to the distance traveled in 300 milliseconds(2-3 yards I'd guess) you can eliminate the positioning bug.
    Drunk toddlers in a dryer

Once you hit level 16 (I think) your VW learns Sacrifice. From this moment on, forget that it's a tank. You are now the tank. Turn the taunts off and don't send it anywhere.

How long this playstyle lasts depends on which tree you decide to level in.

The levelling sticky that was linked earlier has great advice.

gaad I leveled mainly during the SL/SL days so I never had this problem but it sounds so annoying xD I would get rid of my VW forever if it did that

15+ Year Old Account

Not going to read everything, instead I will just say:

Yes, it does happen frequently
    Ow the horror when I try to solo some stuff and when he keeps running in other packs....
    Dawwwwwww

15+ Year Old Account

the solution was sooo easy in TBC... demonic sacrifise that thing and enjoy your +15% damage.
    Good 'ol times

15+ Year Old Account

So, I started lvling a lock, just for fun. And so far it HAS been fun, except for one tiny problem, which occurs on maybe as much as half my pulls: I send in the voidwalker, he runs toward the target... and keeps on running, taking the target with him. They both end up out of range, I call him back, he runs back towards me, goes PAST me and keeps running, this time in the other direction, often into a pack of mobs and then we both die horribly.

Long story short, my voidwalker is borderline retarded. Is this a common problem? If so, are there any tricks to avoiding it? Do the good people of blizz know about it, and have issued the old "we are aware of the situation and are working on a fix" malarky?
    check and reset game files, geodata ftw
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.