gearing a fresh 80

so I'm just about to hit 80 on my warrior alt.

my main goal for this toon is to pvp with it, but i figured before i hit the bgs i should do some gearing (in heroics) so I'm not getting 2 shot by everyone.

my question is this, should i go about acquiring this gear as a tank, or as a dps?

Would u as a main rather come across a low geared tank who can probably manage they job (i feel very comfortable tanking) or a low geared dps who really will be doing some terrible dps and having the other 2 dps carry most of the weight?

thx for any responses

Re: gearing a fresh 80

I'd recommend doing some ToC 5 mans as dps first off. This will get you some gear for both specs but we're mainly concerned about tank gear.

After that buy/craft a couple of pieces (some of the blue/ilvl 200 epic tanking pieces can be pretty cheap)

Once you have your ragtag tanking set of blues greens and a couple choice epics, start grindin out heroics for badges (people will bitch at your low HP but truth is anything above 20k and 535 defense is just fine for heroics). Fill out your set with blue/epic gear from heroics and buy a couple pieces with triumph emblems and you'll be good to start some ICC 5 mans for more 232 gear and emblems. Throwing in a couple reg ICC runs is a good idea too, as HoR drops the only pre-raid shield that doesn't suck, and you can also pick up a good cloak.

Don't give yourself a headache and try to gear up as dps. Queue times are terrible, and there's a LOT of douchey people in random 5 mans who wont think twice about votekicking you right as the 15 minute timer expires if you don't pull whatever they consider "acceptable" for heroics, screwing you out of the completion emblems and epic drops.

Once you have a solid tank set collecting emblems for Furious pvp gear is a breeze.

Re: gearing a fresh 80

thx a bunch for the response that sounds perfect, maybe i can coax a friend / guildy to run the reg toc's with me to get my head start, thx agine.